PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer

Mow"N"Bud
07-30-2006, 02:42 AM
I'm considering getting an enclosed trailer 7 X 16. The dealers around here carry Continental, Carry On, Haulmark, and Leonard. What pros and cons have any of you experienced with these trailer, and or pros and cons of enclosed trailers period.

Az Gardener
07-30-2006, 03:09 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with a Haulmark or Wells Cargo. I have a cheaper trailer (Interstate) and here are some of the things that have caused me grief in the first year.

The jack stand sucks, it is hard to turn, has no grease zerk and always hangs up on the ball
The screws vibrate out of the door lock and are constantly getting lost
The cables on the ramp door are thinner and have frayed and broken
The rivets are not rivets at all but upon closer inspection are hex head screws that have come loose and some are missing
The joints where things come together looked good when I bought it but after a few months the caulk shrank and exposed bad joints
The spring mechanism on the ramp door was messed up and required service to recoil and adjust after I replaced a broken cable

These are some of the things I can recall. I will spend the extra money next time and get a better quality product. Stay away from Home Depot trailers even though the carry the same brand name as reputable company they have lowered the standards to meet H/D's pricing structure.

tallimeca
07-30-2006, 09:13 AM
we have a 20ft Haulmark we tow our drag car with. It's a NICE trailer and tows really well. Would recommend it definetely.

Tony Clifton
07-30-2006, 09:30 AM
We have a 6x12 Haulmark set up for irrigation, it is much smaller than what you are looking for, but I can say that it is very well built.
I agree with AZ gardener, you can't go wrong with Haulmark or Wells Cargo....I would steer clear of some of the other names, you definately do not want to go cheap on an enclosed trailer. Depending on your location I can give you the names of trailer dealers that sell both brands.

Branchland
07-30-2006, 11:45 AM
we have a 20ft Haulmark we tow our drag car with. It's a NICE trailer and tows really well. Would recommend it definetely.

That's what we have. Only I use it for just mowing. But it is set up to be a car hauler, with the heavy duty door. Been a great trailer.

Some of the cons are, fueling equipment, getting equipment, it's not muti-use like hauling mulch, etc...

But I love mine

waterboy1
07-30-2006, 03:36 PM
I agree, Haulmark and WellsCargo are good. I did alot of searching and looking at about 6 or 7 different brands. To me the WellsCargo was the better one out of the two. But, I ended up getting a Pace Summit trailer mainly because it had two vents and two sets of inside lights in the trailer and already came with a shelf and weedeater and blower racks, plus had a cooler rack also. It also already had the plywood inside. I paid about the same as I could have gotten a plain haulmark or wellscargo for.

Make sure you look at them good also, they have good ways of covering things up also.

Waterboy

RedWingsDet
07-30-2006, 04:59 PM
That's what we have. Only I use it for just mowing. But it is set up to be a car hauler, with the heavy duty door. Been a great trailer.

Some of the cons are, fueling equipment, getting equipment, it's not muti-use like hauling mulch, etc...

But I love mine

I have the same one...

The only con I really have is that the screws on the HD ramp door (where you flip the little peice out so its level with the ground) are starting to fall out, same thing with the floor....

Other than that I love it.

PLS-Tx
07-30-2006, 11:52 PM
I have a Pace. I would never want to go back to an open trailer.

I like the Pace, but if I had it to do over I would get the WellsCargo.

Bill Davis
08-06-2006, 09:00 AM
I bought my first enclosed trailer this year, it is a 7x16 Wells Cargo Road Force. Excellent trailer so far. I put my own racks and smash boards along the bottom which only took about three hours to put together with the help of a carpenter friend. I have loved the enclosed trailer. I can see a decrease in the amount of spark plugs I replace, no sun fading, and I dont have people eyening my equipment when I drive by.

Team-Green L&L
08-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Haulin by Haulmark...and we love it.

milsaps118
08-06-2006, 12:45 PM
I have an 8x16 enclosed and love it. I built racks and shelving and hall two ZTR's and a 21" push mower in it w/all my gear for lawn care. I still have some room to move around in it. One down side to mine is I wish I would have bought an 8'x18'. 7x16 is kind of narrow and short, depending on what your going to load in it. If your gonna put a couple of ZTR's in it you might want to go 18' or else it gets a little tight. That extra foot wide goes a long ways. Its kind of hard to find a 8'x16' from a dealer, I had to order mine. Usually manufactures don't build that size until they hit the 18 footers. I think you'd be a lot happier w/ 8'x18' for hauling' mowers.

PROS
1. mobile shop on wheels
2. keep everything contained & secure from theft
3. keeps weather and road grime off equipment
4. great storage in off season
5. Rolling billboard for advertising

CONS
1. Initial cost -vs- open trailer
2. sometimes a PITA to lug around town
3. sometimes a PITA to pull on windy days
4. weight -vs- open trailer