PDA

View Full Version : And who says I need a new truck? (pics)

stuffdeer
07-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, Just got done with this clean-up and figured I'd show you guys the loaded truck.

Pic 1:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/stuffdeer/PICT0072.jpg

Pic 2:

Truck
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/stuffdeer/PICT0074-1.jpg

Pic 3:

My new roto tiller!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/stuffdeer/PICT0067.jpg

DodgeTruckMan731
07-31-2006, 04:00 PM
nice, that trailer dosent look to safe tho

mcwlandscaping
07-31-2006, 06:25 PM
put a real hitch on that truck!!!!

DodgeTruckMan731
07-31-2006, 06:30 PM
put a real hitch on that truck!!!!

i didnt even notice that, yes mike you need a new hitch

ToroLandscaper
07-31-2006, 08:25 PM
I would get a new hitch..and the trailer sure doesnt look interstate worthy at all!

stuffdeer
07-31-2006, 09:09 PM
No, I'm picking up my 5x10 tomorrow...Believe it or not, that trailer has probably made over 20 trips of over 300 miles each.

I do need a new hitch, but the bumper is fine for now.

Mike33
07-31-2006, 09:53 PM
No the bumper deal is not fine:hammerhead: Im not trying to be a ass but guys like you is why are dot laws are a pain. Get a class 5 receiver and put a pintle on, it might save yours and some one elses life.
Mike

RedWingsDet
07-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Your going to rip that bumper right off.

I pulled a 7x16ft trailer with a 50" dixie, 48" exmark with a little reg cab 2wd v6 dakota and used that thing on the bumper, I twisted the bumper all up and went through brakes like no tomorrow, It was one of the STUPIDEST things I've done, However that was 2 years ago thankfully no one got hurt, and I have a bigger truck now and bigger trailer...

But spend the $100 to get the hitch rather than spending $100,000 in damages because of an accident.

notoriousDUG
07-31-2006, 10:28 PM
but the bumper is fine for now.

But it is not now we are worried about, it is the when.

A bumper hitch like that loaded like that WILL fail, it is a when not an if.

And if you have your saftey chains hooked to the bumper and not the frame you can say goodbye trailer, hello increased insurance and big safety tickets. There is also a good chance that your insurance will not cover it if you are found to have been carrying an unsafe load.

Of course this assumes you have proper biz insurane and are not one of the scary folk out there expecting their normal auto insurance to cover them while using there vehicle in a commercial manner.

Never mind how hillrod that looks rolling down the road, I would never hire anyone who had a rig like that to do work for me.

SodKing
07-31-2006, 10:34 PM
and why isn't your truck lettered? are you a hack or what?

notoriousDUG
07-31-2006, 10:36 PM
While I am ranting...

Are those load rated tires on the truck?

What kind of wieght are the trailer tires rated for?

And why do so many guys think those frekin' baby tire trialers are even close to road safe? Damn tiny tires make them burn off bearings.

tthomass
07-31-2006, 11:03 PM
i say you need a new truck!..................even if you just get a Chevy 1500, it would be a huge improvement and you would be mucho happy...........lots more space, lots more power lots more everything

stuffdeer
07-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow...I really did not post this to get critizied this badly.

For the past....hmmm...Lets see, 3 years, my dad and I have been hauling a 700 lb quad, on this trailer, hooked to...yes....This bumper. And yes, the "Baby" tires have made over 20 trips, yes 20 trips all over 300 miles each.

Have any of you that said anything about tires, ever used a trailer like this?

Each tire on the trailer is rated for 700 lbs. The trailer is rated for 2,000 lbs, according to the manf.

Sodking, I've seen one truck in 500 that are lettered here, why does a truck need to be lettered? If you search for a thread here, it shows, that truck advertising barely gets any other customers.

Notoriusdug, I got 15 accounts this year with it, and none have said anything about this rig, you may not hire someone like this, but people around here, hire for quality work, not the size and look of a rig.

And yes, if it matters, I will be getting a hitch when I get my invoices back in this month. Mainly to level the trailer off, not because I'm scared of it breaking the bumper. I'm only towing a 21", trimmer, and a blower.

Mike33, why do I need a pintle with only a 5x10 trailer?

And if it matters, which is does not to you guys, I have bearing buddies on the trailer.

Scag48
08-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Get a class 5 receiver and put a pintle on, it might save yours and some one elses life.
Mike

What the hell good would a class 5 hitch with a pintle do on an S10?

Simply put, the guy needs maybe a class 3 reciever at most on that truck.

Let's not get too technical guys, it's just a mowing rig. Maybe he should tag it for 40,000 GVW and add air brakes to the thing, then he might be able to pull a couple mowers around. :dizzy:

In my neck of the woods, this setup is considered "professional". I see guys every day of the week running around in 30 year old trucks that were dead 10 years ago pulling 20 year old John Deere riding mowers. Needless to say, I'm not in maintenance anymore.

mow king
08-01-2006, 12:46 AM
No the bumper deal is not fine:hammerhead: Im not trying to be a ass but guys like you is why are dot laws are a pain. Get a class 5 receiver and put a pintle on, it might save yours and some one elses life.
Mike

Is that a joke? They don't even make class 5's for a S10.

I'd be willing to bet the bumper hitch is rated for the weight he pulls anyway.

Personally I wouldnt take that trailer on the freeway, but it's probably rated to do so.

LindblomRJ
08-01-2006, 01:09 AM
The trailer does not appear to be overloaded, nor is there a need for a pintle hitch on this type of setup. A class 3 would be okay.

Why not get a 1 ton flatbed and get rid of the trailer? Just as goofy as a pintle hitch on a 5x7 trailer.

notoriousDUG
08-01-2006, 08:48 AM
I have used a trailer like that. That is why I dislike them.

Bearing buddies or not the issue with those is that when you hit the highway the tiny tires have to spin crazy RPM to make speed and it is VERY hard onthe bearing well greased or not.

DoetschOutdoor
08-01-2006, 11:56 AM
If you are only pulling around a 21" mower and not loading that trailer down, there is absolutely no need for getting a hitch. That trailer and your mower do not weigh anything. Dont listen to the bashers that hate just because your truck is not lettered. I only have one truck and I really do not want it all lettered up, all the time. You probably plan on expanding in the future which would mean a bigger trailer so if you have the extra funds, go ahead and get one but with your current setup, there is no need at all

ALarsh
08-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Mike
HAHA

A class 5 hitch alone would max out the weight for a little S-10. Your funny. :laugh: I would get a Class 2 or 3 hitch and get it off the bumper though

I would also get some magnets. I paid $50 for two and have landed 3 new accounts from them (put them on 1 month ago). It has been great and I should have done it sooner.... Some customers would like to hire the young guy but they don't know their name/number without seeing it on your truck...

stumpjumper
08-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Stuffdeer its obvious that some of these boys have don't have any idea on this subject. A reciever hitch is best, but if you don't exceed the tire or bumper weight rating you will be fine. It's true that the smaller trailor wheels turn at a higher rpm, but they're designed to do so. I have a trailor almost indentical to yours that i've pulled 1000's of miles with no problems. We pulled loaded stock trailors for years with bumper mounted balls. Common sense and careful driving when pulling a trailor are almost as important as equipment. I would never condone using unsafe equipment, I keep mine in top condition, but a class 5 pintle hitch on an S10 jeez.

rickt
08-01-2006, 01:53 PM
if you mow "locally" and dont go out on the highways then the bumper is fine.

mcwlandscaping
08-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Hey ALARSH, did you happen to post up pics with your truck with the magnets on it? Ide really like to see it

ALarsh
08-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Bought them from Kinkos. They're pretty basic. Logo, Phone # and website. Get the phone # as big as you can and with it stilll looking good. Don't clutter them up with everything you do under the sun. ONLY put logo, Phone # (BIG) and website address if you have one.

mcwlandscaping
08-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Thank AL, I didnt know that kinkos sold those, im going to have to check that out next time im by there, even something like that gives you a bit more of a professional look then nothing.

TURFLORD
08-02-2006, 06:00 AM
I see you scratching up that bed with that load on. Ouch. Maybe a bigger trailer so you won't mess up the truck. I'm not bashing, but if you load up like that often enough, a bigger trailer will hold more volume and weight and keep the truck nice. I'm sorry to say that trailer looks a little wimpy.

notoriousDUG
08-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Bought them from Kinkos. They're pretty basic. Logo, Phone # and website. Get the phone # as big as you can and with it stilll looking good. Don't clutter them up with everything you do under the sun. ONLY put logo, Phone # (BIG) and website address if you have one.

These things work great on a clean truck.

You have to be carefull installing nad removing if your truck is anythign but spotless. I can nto tell you how often I see a good work truck with a perfectly shaped square or circle of scratches on a door.

This is also a wonderful way to get around home owners association rules and municipal laws about parking 'work' vehicles in your drive.

ALarsh
08-02-2006, 03:52 PM
I haven't had any problems yet with a square imprint. I will probably wax that area every couple of months to try my best to prevent it.

The neighborhood I live in won't allow lettered vehicles to park in the neighborhood which is also a reason why I have magnets....

Mike33
08-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Your going to rip that bumper right off.

I pulled a 7x16ft trailer with a 50" dixie, 48" exmark with a little reg cab 2wd v6 dakota and used that thing on the bumper, I twisted the bumper all up and went through brakes like no tomorrow, It was one of the STUPIDEST things I've done, However that was 2 years ago thankfully no one got hurt, and I have a bigger truck now and bigger trailer...

But spend the $100 to get the hitch rather than spending $100,000 in damages because of an accident.
Glad someone else feels like i do.
Mike

stuffdeer
08-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Glad someone else feels like i do.
Mike

Mike, sorry to say it, but, not many people agree with your statement of putting a pintle hook on my S-10.

J&R Landscaping
08-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I think a pintle is a bit overkill but definitly get a class 2 or class 3. Might have made all them trips fine but all the stress will cause a failure somewere down the line. Be proactive about it and get is solved before a problem does occur. JMO

rfed32
08-03-2006, 08:15 PM
s10 class 3hitch is what i have on mine i have no problem pulling anything with it....6x14 with two zeros(not mine) 6x10 everyday with wb on it or a 6x12 with a dingo....i would go class 2 or 3...that truck is awesome save on gas unlike the rest of the guys out there so dont even worry about that one...u dont need a bigger truck save ur money...why have 500 payments...ur doing good kid ur doing good

Mike33
08-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Yes i messed up on wording. First i would not have a s-10 for business i would have a full size truck that would have a class 5 and i use pintle on everything. I have all 5 of my trailers standard. The point is so you dont screw up and not have enough reciver, etc. to pull any thing. Many times you are going to grow in business and you will be ready for any thing.
Mike

stuffdeer
08-04-2006, 12:27 AM
So at 15, I should go out and buy a 1 ton truck, a 24ft enclosed trailer...WITH A PINTLE, and 12.2 Toro Z-master z's?
To do 12 lawns?
Whats wrong with the s-10, as it will pull what I need it to pull, and is good on gas. It may not be practicle for you, but it sure as heck doesn't mean it isn't practicle for someone else.

Scag48
08-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Yes i messed up on wording. First i would not have a s-10 for business i would have a full size truck that would have a class 5 and i use pintle on everything. I have all 5 of my trailers standard. The point is so you dont screw up and not have enough reciver, etc. to pull any thing. Many times you are going to grow in business and you will be ready for any thing.
Mike

You're taking it a little over a the edge. A lawn guy doesn't NEED a fullsize truck, nor do they need class 5 hitches with pintles. If you put a pintle on a trailer that didn't originally come with one, you've got some insecurity issues because standard balls are just fine for light towing. If your trailer is rated for 14K or over, then you can step up to a pintle.

I guess I'm going about this all wrong, we have 2 equipment trailers, 1 dump trailer, and 2 light duty site trailers. They work everyday and all have 2 5/16 hitches. At the rate this is going, if I have a lawn truck that needs a pintle, I should have stepped up to a 3" king pin 5th wheel to pull a 12K# equipment trailer years ago. Give me a break guys.

mike lane lawn care
08-04-2006, 12:41 AM
So at 15, I should go out and buy a 1 ton truck, a 24ft enclosed trailer...WITH A PINTLE, and 12.2 Toro Z-master z's?
To do 12 lawns?
Whats wrong with the s-10, as it will pull what I need it to pull, and is good on gas. It may not be practicle for you, but it sure as heck doesn't mean it isn't practicle for someone else.
i am 16 and i think that for your work load, you are doing fine, just be sure to check the wear on the truck and trailer tires often, and keep an eye on the surdieness of the bumper. I have a larger trailer, so i wouldn't use the bumper hitch, but you are good. keep up and when you can justify a new trailer and truck, do it, but not before, the ore you save the better off you are

stuffdeer
08-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Hey Mike, Acually I just bought a new trailer, and am looking at a Reese class 3 hitch right now :)

Mike33
08-04-2006, 05:40 AM
You're taking it a little over a the edge. A lawn guy doesn't NEED a fullsize truck, nor do they need class 5 hitches with pintles. If you put a pintle on a trailer that didn't originally come with one, you've got some insecurity issues because standard balls are just fine for light towing. If your trailer is rated for 14K or over, then you can step up to a pintle.

I guess I'm going about this all wrong, we have 2 equipment trailers, 1 dump trailer, and 2 light duty site trailers. They work everyday and all have 2 5/16 hitches. At the rate this is going, if I have a lawn truck that needs a pintle, I should have stepped up to a 3" king pin 5th wheel to pull a 12K# equipment trailer years ago. Give me a break guys.
No all of my trailers are 5-6 ton. We dont have many lawn guys in my area people cuts there own grass. But what i see is a couple of lawn guys starting out that way and going bigger. I actually watched 2 of these guys start like this and with in a year or so stepping up to full scale landscaping. What happens around here is they will start mulching then hauling top soil. Next they go to our rent all and rent a bobcat and try to haul it on crap trailers and hitches. This is where problems begin. No the guy dont need the heavy stuff for that little trailer, but if his business grows and he goes to a bigger trailer i would think heavy so he could haul anything.
Mike

Mike33
08-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Hey Mike, Acually I just bought a new trailer, and am looking at a Reese class 3 hitch right now :)
Good job, stay away from the bumper hitch. Get something that handle larger things. Your business will grow and you will be hauling heavier things than you thought.
Mike

ALarsh
08-04-2006, 09:30 AM

The largest LCO here has all pintles on their lawn trailers (16ft enclosed) and their bobcat/landscape trailers. I think they do it so they can tow any trailer with any truck and not have any compatibility issues. They have dump bodies on the trucks so a 5th wheel is not an option.

Mike33
08-04-2006, 09:10 PM
The largest LCO here has all pintles on their lawn trailers (16ft enclosed) and their bobcat/landscape trailers. I think they do it so they can tow any trailer with any truck and not have any compatibility issues. They have dump bodies on the trucks so a 5th wheel is not an option.
Thanks, thats my point! Ive been pulling triailers while most of these guys were in diapers and pissing there pants. Seen hitch failures over the years that could of been prevented.
Mike

mcwlandscaping
08-04-2006, 09:23 PM
I do agree, when starting, you mine as well plan for major success and growth.

stuffdeer
08-07-2006, 11:48 AM

Alarsh, Fedex Kinkos, makes Magnets?!

Thats awesome!

I might just have to stop in over there!

ALarsh
08-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah they do. They don't do them in house but you go there to give them your design, they call you in the next day and show you the draft, you sign to approve it and the following day you pick up the magnets. Kinkos does a lot of sign printing and other things.

It's best to keep the number of colors down to keep the cost of the magnets down. I think it costs $10 for each additional color. Not 100% sure though.

Idealtim
08-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Your setup looks perfect for your workload. Consiter growth and look ahead, but it's a big jump from a 1/4 ton bumper pull to a 1 ton with class 5 hitche pintles.