PDA

View Full Version : 1975 F600...should I, or should I not?

Smithers
07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
A friend of mine's uncle used to own a cement business. He was diagnosed with cancer and got out of it, but still has a 1973 stake truck (that my friend is getting), and a 1975 F600 6yrd Dump truck.

The interior on the F600 is not good, has brand new tires and the usual rust holes in the fenders. I will have pictures later on.

Anyway, I am a part timer that would not use the truck all the time. In fact, i will have to pay ~$50/month to store it since i can't have it in my subdivision.

So, the price is $3,500 with 50,000 miles on it. It has not been started in 2 years and started right up when the uncle fired it up.

So, should I buy it? It needs new paint, but my friend's dad is a painter, so that' s not a problem.

I'd like to hear your opinion on this, since you know more than me about older trucks.

so, to sum up......

50K miles
~6yrd dump
New(er) tires
rust on fenders
bad interior

Total - $3,500

Yes or No?

Lux Lawn
07-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Tough call, the truck is 31 years old.It sounds like it needs some work already,plus you need to pay to store it.It could end up being a money pit for you.
Plus you said that you will not being using the truck all the time since you are only a part timer.

Smithers
07-31-2006, 08:23 PM
yes, i know...tough call.

i do quite a few fall and sring cleanups each year. In fact this is the main reason that i am thinking about buying it. i am tired of an 8ft bed full of leaves at my house in the fall.

At the same time, i will move more and more into the landscape installation end of things. I can rent a skid steer, clean up and dump in 3 hrs, instead of stuffing it in my enclosed trailer.

Lux Lawn
07-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Having a dump truck will help there is know doubt about it.But I have a few trucks now that are 10 years old and they can get expensive at times.Good luck with your decision.

Smithers
07-31-2006, 09:00 PM
here is a small picture of the dump

FANS
07-31-2006, 09:09 PM
figure about 4-5 miles per gallon (empty or full) and pretty expensive engine parts. That model had a 427 truck engine available but it also had a 366 industrial engine as well (not positive about the displacement). Those are pretty expensive to get parts for and not many parts are in common with later model gas engines. (Uhaul had a ton of those trucks built with the industrial motors which they maintained a separate parts bank for, and you really couldn't take parts off their engines and put them on another Ford of the same type). If you're not putting many miles on, it won't matter. Tires need to be looked at, not for wear so much as dry rot. They are probably tube type tires (8.25/20) and those are not rare, but not what you would call the most readily accessible. You'll have difficulty getting the tires off the wheels if one goes flat as well. If it's hydraulic brakes, make sure you can get parts. If you can't you'll probably need to replace the entire system. If there's a hydrovac unit on the power brakes them make sure you can get that as well. If it goes out, so do the brakes. (now before anyone tells me that you have the regular hydraulic brakes as a backup - you're right, but have you tried to stop a loaded dump truck with unpowered hydraulic brakes? enough said).

Most of your hoses, etc need to be checked for dry rot as well, just check them and then have the radiator drained, cleaned and refilled. If it's been sitting 2 years you'll probably need a battery soon, that's not real expensive. Next thing to check is the hydraulics on the dump and power steering if it has it. The PTO, hydraulic pump and the cylinder as well as the lines. Hydraulic oil and brake fluid is pretty hydroscopic, meaning they can hold a good bit of water. That water in the system can cause rust pretty quickly since brake lines and hydraulic lines aren't generally protected on the inside. If I remember correctly that brake fluid had a 2 or 5 year life and it was generally never replace on that schedule.

Wheel bearings and seals will need to be checked, it's best to do that with each wheel up in the air. King pins will cost you big money if you need them.

The big deal about a truck that's been sitting isn't if the motor will run, it's the seals that have been sitting in one place for that long and have gotten hard. Next thing is to look for lot rot - the covered parts of the engine etc have moisture around them all the time and since they aren't started they don't get hot to dry themselves off - you get some rust. And just remember if something is going to break it's going to break in the middle of the job, after the truck is half full and you're committed to the job, not at the end when you're done, not at the beginning when you can make other arrangements.

You might check at truckpaper.com to see if you can find something similar and what price they are asking. For a 31 year old truck it seems high. Probably sold for less than $15,000 new, not that it matters.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Be sure and check the Insurance ''for hire'' I had a friend that bought a truck that size and sold it not long afterwards because of Insurance reasons.
I know this goes off topic now, but have you considered a dump trailer? No engine to worry about and can carry a decent load too. If I read your post correctly, you said something about stuffing material in your enclosed trailer. The dump trailer would give you another trailer to haul debris in also.

wayne

Smithers
07-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Be sure and check the Insurance ''for hire'' I had a friend that bought a truck that size and sold it not long afterwards because of Insurance reasons.
I know this goes off topic now, but have you considered a dump trailer? No engine to worry about and can carry a decent load too. If I read your post correctly, you said something about stuffing material in your enclosed trailer. The dump trailer would give you another trailer to haul debris in also.

wayne
my F-150 can't haul a dump trialer....plus, they are expensive, need a connector for electric brakes that i dont have and i still need to pay to store it. a good size dump trailer is $4K.

i agree about the insurance cost.

I really need to buy something smaller so that i can at least try to maintain it (like oil changes, tires, etc.....) at my house. at least i will not pay to store it.

i could tell that a huge dump is not for me since all of the things that FANS said made no sense to me. but i still appreciate the reply! :)

Gravel Rat
07-31-2006, 09:54 PM
The old F-600s are pretty light trucks you really can't pack much more than a F-550 Ford. The truck probably has a 330 industrial with a 5spd behind it the truck will suck down fuel pretty quick. The tires are probably 8.25-20s but if that orange truck is it your lucky it has Dayton wheels you can get new tubeless 22.5s for it. Any wheels from a schoolbus will fit they run a 10R-22.5 tire.

I don't know if I would want a old Ford that old they have the orange cancer plus old gas pot trucks are too hard on fuel. I would pass on it the truck would be good for a site truck but otherwise its not worth dealing with old trucks.

Ford industrial engines are 330-361-391-40? and 534 usually have 5+2s behind them. The old industrial Fords are too hard to get parts for they were stopped in the early 70s. The newwer industrial Ford is the 370 and 429 both heavy on the fuel.

If the truck has sat for two years you will have to drain the fuel tank pull the carburator apart the old industrials used a odd ball carburators. You will prolly have to clean up the points.

xcopterdoc
07-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Are you on the upper scale of mechanically inclined and know something about "old school" trucks? If not... pass.

LindblomRJ
07-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Could you generate enough work to justify the expenses repairs, parking, License, etc? If not pass.

Mike33
07-31-2006, 10:49 PM
I have a 75 250 for a 2nd. plow truck . i have had it for 10 years. Keep in mind the truck is probably older than you. Also i worked on vechicles by trade for years and you will have to with this. One of the worst things you might come on to is finding parts. Sterring parts are a pain in the ass to find, You will have things wear or brake that was a dealership item only when the truck was in its prime. You will not get any thing from a dealer for this truck since the late 80's. Think about these things it will break down! Old fords where bad on rear grease seals also. And yes figure on watching the gas gauge moving like the speedometer. I am still looking for an exaust manifold for my 390 the last 4 years.
Mike

Smithers
07-31-2006, 11:21 PM
you guys have been great help....and i will pass on this truck.

i wanted to look for something cheap and i found it, but i will not make a huge mistake by buying because of your help.

I am not mechanically inclined more than just regular maintenance and the occasional, "I think there is something wrong with the engine.....Will have to take it to the dealer"....thing.. hehe

i will pass on this truck. thanks a lot.

oh, yeah...and the truck is the same age as me. :)

The Dude
08-02-2006, 06:13 PM
That model had a 427 truck engine available but it also had a 366 industrial engine as well (not positive about the displacement).

Those are chevy engines. They are tall deck big blocks.

The fords came with 361 and 391 engines.