PDA

View Full Version : Trailer not sitting level...

RedWingsDet
07-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Please help me figure this out.

I have a F350 with a dumpbody. Well, it doesnt have your standard hitch, it has the pintle/ball combo bolted to the back, therefore there is not a female end where you can insert the male end and put a 2" ball drop male adapter in.

Therefore, what are my options and how can I fix this problem, because my rear tires on my trailer are wearing rapidly because of this.

Hopefully you guys understand what I mean, Thanks!

Gravel Rat
07-31-2006, 11:24 PM
You will have to modify your reach of the trailer so you move the ball hitch higher and the trailer will sit level. You probably don't want to move the hitch lower on the truck.

RedWingsDet
07-31-2006, 11:25 PM
You will have to modify your reach of the trailer so you move the ball hitch higher and the trailer will sit level. You probably don't want to move the hitch lower on the truck.

Sorry if this is a lame question, but anyway, What exactly is the reach on the trailer? and how will I go about doing this?

Gravel Rat
07-31-2006, 11:32 PM
The reach is the part that the hitch is bolted too it must be a A frame style with a piece of square tubing in the center where the coupler is bolted too.

You need to drop the reach down and keep the coupler up high enough. So what you would need to do is make the opposite of a drop reciever hitch you need to drop the reach. I imagine you only need to drop at most 6"s so the front axle sees more weight.

Do you pull this trailer with any other truck ?

RedWingsDet
07-31-2006, 11:37 PM
The reach is the part that the hitch is bolted too it must be a A frame style with a piece of square tubing in the center where the coupler is bolted too.

You need to drop the reach down and keep the coupler up high enough. So what you would need to do is make the opposite of a drop reciever hitch you need to drop the reach. I imagine you only need to drop at most 6"s so the front axle sees more weight.

Do you pull this trailer with any other truck ?

Thank you.

And no, I only pull this trailer with the F350

gammon landscaping
08-01-2006, 10:46 PM
one thing i would look at is what size tires are one the trailer if you have 14in tires with lopro tires you might be able to put 15 inch rims and taller tires to raise the trailer and perhaps cure the problem, and maybe putting shorter tires on the truck?
just a thought may not be enough to help but just might

Scag48
08-01-2006, 11:16 PM
I know what you're talking about, my F450 has the same setup. Sometimes I dislike it, it sits just a little too low for my liking. All of our trailer hitches have adjustable hitch heights, which we set the day we bought them for my old man's F350 and my old GMC 2500. With a zero drop hitch on the F350 and a 1" lift hitch on the 2500, the trailers sat at perfect ride height. Now, my pintle/ball combo is just a little low so I drag the jack on the ground every once in a while. What I've thought about doing is re-drilling holes in the hitch plate on the truck. I'm leary of this because I think having 8 holes back there would allow for less integrity, plus my pintle is rated for 10 ton and I expect to use all of that capacity once I have my CDL. Another option I thought of is to drill only 2 more holes in the plate. If you look at the pintle/ball mount, you'll see there are 4 holes. If I drill 2 more holes higher up on the plate and use what used to be the top 2 molting holes for the pintle as the bottom 2 holes and the newly drilled holes as the top 2 mounting holes it might work out. Hopefully that all made sense. I know what you mean though, these setups aren't easy to adjust. It would be easy if you trailer had an adjustable hitch since it never get's towed by another truck.

oldrustycars
08-02-2006, 12:08 AM
http://shop.easternmarine.com/images/product/5769.jpg
you need something like this on the trailer. welding is required. you need to fix this right away, running like this thows the geometry way off, causing too much tongue weight, and possible axle or frame damage. changing tires will not be the answer

RedWingsDet
08-02-2006, 02:29 AM
This is what I bought.

Thanks guys

TURFLORD
08-02-2006, 06:23 AM
This is what I bought.

Thanks guys
Exactly what you needed. There are sooo many custom hitch parts, all you had to do was a little research. Did you get the drop down adapter with that? I think thats what it's called. Anyway, those things work both ways. Just flip it over. Good luck.

MysticLandscape
08-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Do you have a link to where you got that?

RedWingsDet
08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Here you go boss

http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=18994&secid=73&linkon=subsection&linkid=58