PDA

View Full Version : Will cutting grass in 100+ degree temps hurt the turf?

HenryB
08-01-2006, 02:29 PM
The next few days are going to be 100 degrees getting toasted fast. Do you think this will damage the turf going over it with ZTR's? I'd like to skip the week but these people pay monthly and want their moneys worth((greedy aren't they). Tough call.

saw man
08-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I would say no.

I havent cut in NJ but I have in Nevada when it has been 118 and never had a problem. Little different grass but temp. shouldnt matter.

Just drink lots of water.

ProStreetCamaro
08-01-2006, 02:59 PM
No it wont hurt a thing. Just cut high and you will be fine.

WJW Lawn
08-01-2006, 03:02 PM
I agree with ProStreet....you'll be fine if it's high.

upidstay
08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Gotta disagree. Cutting a lawn puts it under stress, as does the heat. Together they will damage the grass. When in doubt, don't. A wise grass guru once told me that the only equipment you should put on turf in high heat is a sprinkler, and the only chemical should be water.
Take the day off and go to the beach.

Groomer
08-01-2006, 03:08 PM
but just remember, anytime you cut sends a little stress to the plant. The more shaded the root system in this heat, the better off the plant. We cut 15 residentials today and quit at 2. Same goes for tomorrow. I'm in no hurry to try to get everyone cut on schedule, my customers know I'll hold off and try to do whats right for the lawn, so the phone ain't ringing with people wondering where we are!

gene gls
08-01-2006, 03:10 PM
The next few days are going to be 100 degrees getting toasted fast. Do you think this will damage the turf going over it with ZTR's? I'd like to skip the week but these people pay monthly and want their moneys worth((greedy aren't they). Tough call.

Yes, mowing in hot weather will leave wheel marks.

ProStreetCamaro
08-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Gotta disagree. Cutting a lawn puts it under stress, as does the heat. Together they will damage the grass. When in doubt, don't. A wise grass guru once told me that the only equipment you should put on turf in high heat is a sprinkler, and the only chemical should be water.
Take the day off and go to the beach.

The lawns we cut today in 100 degree heat with an index of 115 will be just as green and lush next week as they were this week.

Groomer
08-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Well, pro street, then those lawns are being supplied with some heavy duty irrigation, but even then, with sustained heat and humidity, they will decline with stress. Its august, not april.

jt5019
08-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Yes. you can damage the lawn... We are in the same heat wave, its been 90s the past couple days and supposed to be over 100 tomorrow. You can clearly see the grass is stressed where the ztr tires have been.. Be very careful when turning and try to avoid driving over the same area more than once. Unless the lawn is irrigated it try to avoid mowing when it gets near 100.(which doesn't happen all that much here)

HighGrass
08-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Last year i left some wheel marks on a lawn when it was about 97-99. The grass died and didn't come back in some spots until I re-seeded in September. For me, when the temp is around 95, I get picky as to what is going to get mowed until it cools a bit.

dvmcmrhp52
08-01-2006, 06:18 PM
With all of the rain and humidity we've been having it won't make a difference, during drought conditions it's a different story.

I walked outside today around noon, the lawn was still wet at 94 degrees..............the humidity won't let it dry.

Tommorow 100 degrees with that same great humidity.

6'7 330
08-01-2006, 06:25 PM
With all of the rain and humidity we've been having it won't make a difference, during drought conditions it's a different story.

I walked outside today around noon, the lawn was still wet at 94 degrees..............the humidity won't let it dry.

Tommorow 100 degrees with that same great humidity.

Very true, If you're in a drought, dry heat situation, those conditions mowing can have a damaging effect.In that scenerio ,Tires on the big mowers, can leave wheel marks from the grass blades literally breaking off at ground level. But like it is around here, ungodly dew points, humidity, mother nature being very generous with rainfall the chances of the turf being damage are very low.

South Florida Lawns
08-01-2006, 06:55 PM
we cut in 95 degree heat and never have problems. Yes you will leave tire marks but as soon as the spriklers come on, everything greens up nice.

DLS1
08-01-2006, 07:42 PM
The lawns we cut today in 100 degree heat with an index of 115 will be just as green and lush next week as they were this week.

Ya sure. There goes your creditability for giving out answers.
What is the rest of the story why it is green next week. :laugh: :laugh:

jt5019
08-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Most of the residential homes up here don't have sprinkler systems. all it takes is a few very hot /dry days for the grass to become stressed. We had a very wet spring but now its drying up quick and I'm starting to see some tire mark stress on a few lawns.

ProStreetCamaro
08-01-2006, 09:04 PM

Do you think 1 week of high temps will make much difference in the way the lawns look? This happens every year and every year they pull though just fine. Sure after a while they will start to go dormant but thats to be expected. I would be more than happy to take pictures of some lawns that we cut next week to show how they are just fine even after a full week of 100 degree heat.

HighGrass
08-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Do you think 1 week of high temps will make much difference in the way the lawns look? This happens every year and every year they pull though just fine. Sure after a while they will start to go dormant but thats to be expected. I would be more than happy to take pictures of some lawns that we cut next week to show how they are just fine even after a full week of 100 degree heat.

Ahh...Yea.:hammerhead:

prostriper
08-01-2006, 09:33 PM

Its called proper irrigation and fertilizer. The only ones I cut today were irrigated for that reason.

grasswhacker
08-01-2006, 09:36 PM
I mow at 4" and cut back on mowings when lawns look stressed.
Right now however the soil moisture is still good and grass is nice and green, but a couple of more days of 90+ will start to dry things up and slow things down.

Groomer
08-01-2006, 11:21 PM
pro street cuts with comaro?