PDA

View Full Version : Hello Land Clearers (brush cutters, mulchers)

rutwad
08-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Guys I would really like any advice you can offer me. I have considered purchasing an ASV RC-100 and Magnum mulcher attachment. I have my concerns about this. I understand the hourly rates pay good, but is there a high demand for the service these machines can provide.

Do you find yourselves staying busy doing this type of work?
Owner/operator or someone operate for you?
Positive/negative things you have discovered?
Anything you can offer me I would really appreciate it. Newbie here and I am concerned about taking the risk. I am in Alabama.
Trying to think it through, I thought I may buy some other attachments incase the mulching business got slow. I could even resort to equipment hauling from local auction sites on bad weather days.

Anything?

Thanks in advance

janb
08-01-2006, 08:03 PM
check these threads out (also do some searching)
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=153279&highlight=business

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=149099

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=132144

local guys are charging $130 to $150/hr, but I can't stay busy at 1/2 that rate. Tho I don't have one of those $100,000+ shredding machines. They can do a very nice job, but too much capital $$ for me (+ 285 days of rain, = limited season) this type of clearing can be 'discretionary' spending for the normal landowner, (they don't part with $500 for 4 hrs real easy) but the realtors / speculators will keep you pretty busy (in a high growth area)

I have turned down a lot of small (2 hr) tractor / brush-dumptruck jobs lately

ksss
08-01-2006, 11:46 PM
That is quite a gamble, but everything is in this business. A couple suggestions on reducing your risk. Find a used machine and I wouldn't be overly picky on the brand. Most anything that moves a lot of fluid (high flow) and has a cab and A/C. CASE 90XT or 95XT have either a 3000 psi or 5000 psi systems and flow just over 40 gpm. The Gehl machines 7800 and 7600 also flow a lot of oil. The new CAT XPS system flows 4400 psi and just under 40 gpm. I would buy a used wheeled machine and put steel tracks on it and I would do a one year lease on the attachment. If it works out buy the attachment and in a couple of years order a new ASV if that is what you want. It would be crazy (at least to me) to buy a 25-30K attachment and a 60K tracked machine without having a customer base. If it doesn't work out turn back the cutter and keep the skid steer or sell it, but at least you wont take such a depreciation hit if this goes South.

minimax
08-03-2006, 01:00 AM
I run a 35c deere mini-x with a 40" brush mower head on it.Have had it 1 1/2 years and about 1500 hrs, mowing is about 60-85% of my work(less mowing in winter)machine still has buckets and thumb and cab.Have been booked out as much as 12 weeks.I don't know what type of brush you have where you live.Negatives wire,phone wire posts,rebar,etc.I found out that rubber tracks don't hold up in a brush mowing, the cut ends of the brush eat the tracks,fitted the prob.with steel tracks with bolt on rubber pads.One guy around here has ASV with mower and he gets about 200-300 a set a tracks
I like the mini-x over a ASV because of the long reach for working around stuff(stumps,rocks,down trees,slopes,ditches,limbing,trimming hedge,ponds,etc try that with ASV.I'm a Owner/operator.

ksss
08-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I have suspected that the rubber tracks would not hold up while brush cutting. Considering what a set of rubber tracks cost, steel over the tire tracks with foam filled tires might be a much better route to take anyway when using a skid steer. At 3.5K for a set of tracks if you get 300 hours out of a set thats just under 12 dollars an hour. Depending on your situation that may be acceptable or it may not. If a rubber tracked machine got you places that a steel tracked skid steer would not, it might be worth it. However, I don't know what that situation would be. I have a set of Loegren Trail Blazer tracks with the wide pad it keeps my 10K 95Xt from sinking.

rutwad
08-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm stil looking, researching, etc.

Digdeep
08-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Rutwad,

I live up here in WI, and I don't brushcut, I own an RC50. However, brushcutting is very popular up here with tracked units. In the past I have spoken with an RC100 owner who primarily uses his machine for brushcutting. I think he uses a Fecon. I know that he did extensive research before he bought his machine a little over a year and half ago. I have seen his machine go by on the trailer quite a bit and it always has the cutter head attached. He had stated that the people he talked to were experiencing about 1,000 hours on their ASV track in brushcutting, with the biggest hazard being stumps, and the "stubble" from cutting 1-2" slashings. He did also say that he chose the ASV because it had better cooling than the competitors, faster ground speeds, and more engine hp for driving the auxillary pumps, drive motors, etc. It also didn't beat him up too bad during a 10 hour day brushcutting. There are many choices out there today and it looks like you're doing your homework. Best of luck in your search. My dealer did recently say that ASV now offers a purpose built "brushcutting package" that includes brush guards, thick belly pans, and a cab sealing kit that is pressurized.

NEUSWEDE
08-05-2006, 05:09 PM
How are you guys finding the work? Doesn't seem like advertising in a paper would pay off. It is working with contractors or utility companies or getting in with the state, where do you get the majority of your work from and how did you get off the ground and running it is a very expensive start.
Thanks

justfor$
09-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Hello, I just signed up here because I saw some discussion about brush cutting. I can see that a cutter on a mini would be awsome. I see that one on the John Deere there. Where did you get it and are there any reccommendations? I see a decent variety out there but im on a budget. Some of them are like 5k or more. Thanks and hopefully I didn't miss this info somewhere else.

minimax
09-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Hello Justfor$,Where are you in washington.You won't find a mower head for less that $6-$7k and what kind of mini will you be putting it on most 8000 lbs mini's wont run a mower head well because they don't the hyd. flow,takes 17-18 gallons a min. and up.

minimax

Gravel Rat
09-12-2006, 07:20 PM
That set up minimax has would work very well here because we have hymilaian (sp) black berries they are a biatch to get rid of and cutting them with a chain saw is a big pain in the azz. If I could afford a set up like that a person could be busy all the time. Alot of places you can't get a skid steer into a place where a excavator will go and a excavator will reach. Also you can see the big rocks that the brambles have over grown a skid steer you can't cut around obstacles like a mower on a excavator.

The highways dept has a mower similar to what mm has but its a little larger and mounted on a ITC Cat loader. It uses brute force to knock down the grass small alder trees etc with its rotating disk with blades that swing off of it. The mower head is mounted on a mini excavator syle boom that is mounted to the front of the wheel loader.

I didn't realize there was a set up like minimax has now that has me thinking there are alot of overgrown areas where people don't want to have the area dug out but cutting the crap down would work. I have done it allot of it by hand and it takes for hours plus the brambles can do you some body damage even with long sleeve shirt and heavy pants.

Scag48
09-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Mini max, what brand of head is that?

JDSKIDSTEER
09-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Guys I would really like any advice you can offer me. I have considered purchasing an ASV RC-100 and Magnum mulcher attachment. I have my concerns about this. I understand the hourly rates pay good, but is there a high demand for the service these machines can provide.

Do you find yourselves staying busy doing this type of work?
Owner/operator or someone operate for you?
Positive/negative things you have discovered?
Anything you can offer me I would really appreciate it. Newbie here and I am concerned about taking the risk. I am in Alabama.
Trying to think it through, I thought I may buy some other attachments incase the mulching business got slow. I could even resort to equipment hauling from local auction sites on bad weather days.

Anything?

Thanks in advance
Be careful. Here in Alabama most machines over heat in all brands. I have heard the magnum works well with the Deere CT332......Cooling system on most rubber tires can not handle the heat. You have to clean radiator from debris every 3 to 4 hours on machines that will handle the head. Super tracks in Florida is the Fecon dealer and they purchase Takeuchi's, Cats, and ASV's and replace engines and cooling systems.

justfor$
09-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Im over on the olympic peninsula. Poulsbo actually. I have a Komatsu PC-50uu2e, looks like it might only flow 10 gal/min.

minimax
09-13-2006, 12:53 AM
That's a trade secret HA :laugh:HA :laugh: HA:laugh: It is a us mower head

justfor$
09-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Yeah I saw those. They look good. Much maint on that thing? How does grass/light stuff look when your done? US Mower shot me a quote. 5700 for the mower alone...Yours the 40?

minimax
09-13-2006, 01:12 AM
I sharpen it once a week takes about a hour and grease 2 times a day.finish varies on how sharp the mower is and how fast you are moving.

minimax
09-13-2006, 01:13 AM
yes it is a 40

imjustdave
09-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Where are most people getting suscess in finding buisness for brush cutting and claering of land. Im really tempted in getting a fecon or simular head on a ASV or John Deere tracked machine. But I don't really know the best place to advertise. What works and what doesn't? I know word of mouth is priceless but you have to start somewhere.

Also I know most charge between 120 - 150 an hr which sounds resonable but how much land can you clear in that amount of time? I know black berries are eiaser then a wooded lot. but estimates would be nice.

My goal or plan would be to line up some work first and then to buy the equipment, I could just get the head first but my current skid steer doesn't have the high flow so i would be limited greatly at first.

ksss
09-17-2006, 11:15 PM
This is what I would consider. Buy the cutter and rent or lease a skid steer with high flow. If lease do it short term to be sure this will take off. If it does, sell your current machine and roll the rent over to a purchase on the larger skid steer. If it goes bust you should be able to get at least 75% of your money out of your cutter head. At least you wont have a large, high flow skid steer that may bring 50% of purchase price. Especially if you go with Deere. I have seriously considered that market as well. I keep ordering high flow with my over 3K ROC machine thinking one day I may do it. Laying out 25K for a cutter head is hard to do even at 120 an hour (if you can find the work). I actually spoke with FECON last week about it. According to the salesman, you may be better off going with steel over the tire tracks rather than rubber tracks. It sounds like the cost per hour is less that way.

Scag48
09-18-2006, 01:16 AM
I'll second the steel over the tire tracks. Operating costs are WAY lower. Operating costs of rubber tracked machines are high as it is, you don't need to be out in the bush cutting up tracks and replacing every 500 hours (which seems to be the going lifespan). Just get Nu-Air tires or somehing that is puncture resistant, throw some bad @$$ steel tracks on a wheeled machine and get cutting.

cddva
09-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Just for grins, here's a customized Cat 287B with mulcher combo.:cool2:
http://www.supertrak.com/sk120tr.htm

MikeAtv
09-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Is there a clearence Problem when you use over the tire tracks?Compard to a soft track?

ksss
09-20-2006, 10:59 PM
There might be. When I want to run tracks I have to flip my rims around to the offset is out. Gives me the extra clearance. When not running tracks I keep the machine as narrow as I can. That is on a 95XT

NateV
09-21-2006, 06:52 PM
There might be. When I want to run tracks I have to flip my rims around to the offset is out. Gives me the extra clearance. When not running tracks I keep the machine as narrow as I can. That is on a 95XT

My dad does the same thing on his 60xt, but he leaves the rims flipped around to give the machine more stability.

JDSKIDSTEER
09-23-2006, 03:52 PM
I have a Bradco Magnum head demo in Madison County Alabama Tuesday morning if anyone close by wants to come by and see on a Deere CT332.

brushman
10-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I would recommend running a fecon, fae, loftness and magnum side by side before laying down that amount of money (if you can arrange it). I listened to my salesman and paid the price for it. Talk is cheap, I'm finding out the hard way some of the manufacturers of these tools really have not done their homework like they claim. When it comes to warranty and them standing behind it, the different brands vary dramatically I have found. Oh well, live and learn:rolleyes:

imjustdave
10-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Brushman

Not trying to tell you what to do, but your leaving me hanging on your opinion of what is good and what you mention to be not worth owning.... Please help out the rest of us, I know it might be painfull but info is worth a lot to the rest of the forum

brushman
10-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Sorry to leave you hanging:confused: I was on another thread and have been talking magnum vs fae, etc. I've had good luck with the loftness brand in the past, although havn't tried a carbide cutter, had a timber ax demo for a day, does a beautiful job, I'm just leary about the maintance factor. Their customer support is great, my rep in my area is also very thorough and bends over backwards for a guy. I'm running a Magnum on a 248B now, and am getting very intimate with taking the Magnum apart (I have most the part numbers in it memorized). The machine has alot to be desired, from what I can research, they copied an FAE where they could, and improvised the rest. Their warranty isn't very good and their customer support rates even worse than that. Their website talks great things, unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing that. I've talked with guys who run the Fecon, it seems to be very tough and they have good support out here on the west coast. I've heard good things about the FAE also, the Loftness still seems to be pretty new to have alot of feedback out there on it. Want to try a Fecon & FAE soon, will try the Carbide Cutter also. As far as carriers go, go for horsepower:weightlifter: nothing like cubic inches:drinkup:

YellowDogSVC
10-19-2006, 10:39 PM
My dad does the same thing on his 60xt, but he leaves the rims flipped around to give the machine more stability.

I use spacers on a Bobcat s300 or 250 or 220. Never thoughta bout flipping rims around.. Hmmm wonder if it would be enough clearance for me?

When you add tracks to a machine you need to consider the weight you are adding. If you have filled tires and tracks, you could add nearly 3k lbs to a big machine. that's a lot of dead weight before a 2k lb cutterhead. Add gravity, soft ground, or slopes and you will feel sluggish on the best day.

rutwad
10-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Just a rumor, but I've heard that Magnum is going through some troubles because it's a family owned business........and the family is getting a divorce.

YellowDogSVC
10-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Just a rumor, but I've heard that Magnum is going through some troubles because it's a family owned business........and the family is getting a divorce.

I was told by CAT representative that Bradco owns Magnum now. Doesn't Bradco make quality attachments?

Has anyone heard that CAT actually bought a majority of FAE when they branded the FAE heads?

JDSKIDSTEER
10-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Bradco does own Magnum now. I sold the one I demo'd and the nice part is if you have a overheating problem they offer a auxiliary oil cooler as a add on option. I have avoided selling mulching heads because of the horror stories I have heard about all brands in the past and finally decided the only one I will sell will be the magnum because of the cooler option.The head did a great job and did not over heat the machine in 87 degree weather. Where we are the test is July and August.

YellowDogSVC
10-31-2006, 08:34 PM
I haven't had a problem with my Tushhog overheating either an S300 or s300 K series and I have run it in 100+deg humid Texas summer. We just had the hottest summer on record and i grinded all summer. I think a lot of overheating issues are operator related. Common sense and a bit of finesse go a long way. Keeping a cooler clean is important. I am amazed by how many guys in the brush mowing business do not have an air compressor on their trucks.

JDSKIDSTEER
10-31-2006, 08:38 PM
I haven't had a problem with my Tushhog overheating either an S300 or s300 K series and I have run it in 100+deg humid Texas summer. We just had the hottest summer on record and i grinded all summer. I think a lot of overheating issues are operator related. Common sense and a bit of finesse go a long way. Keeping a cooler clean is important. I am amazed by how many guys in the brush mowing business do not have an air compressor on their trucks.
I agree with you on that. Most of my customers do not know what cleaning a machine is.

rutwad
10-31-2006, 09:07 PM
I think I am going for a backpack blower/vac.

JDSKIDSTEER
10-31-2006, 09:09 PM
I think I am going for a backpack blower/vac.
Never thought of that. Good idea.

jsbiker
04-26-2008, 12:29 PM
:hammerhead:

most JD skid steers only have 10 gl of oil in the system
and at 38+ gpm it not hard to tell if it works well or not

and on cooling systems if you dont clean them they ALL over heat
you cant clean with just water and air

the rates that most of you say you chage are sooooo low how do you make payments on your equipment and pay for repairs
supper track now sells more FAE than Fecon

and us mower is a good light duty mower

imjustdave
04-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I would love to see some photos of everyones jobs they have done. would love to see some before and after shots. Would also like to know what equipment you used, trying to see if there best setup for the type of clearing done.

Thanks

jsbiker
04-28-2008, 08:07 AM
photo of FAE HY/100 mini excavator head

YellowDogSVC
04-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Grinding fence lines and slash piles with CAt mulcher (FAE built) with Bobcat S300. Now run CAT 272c with Cat mulcher

bobcat_ron
04-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Hey you dropped your tool box!

YellowDogSVC
04-28-2008, 10:53 PM
i barely use that thing. I'm don't like to talk at work.

Construct'O
04-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Might want to make sure it is charged and working at all times! Let hope you never need it for the following ,but never know.

You may have to have it to call 911 for help,as in i need firetruck,HURRY!!!!! Let hope not.

Still having dust in the cab then? You need to move up here ,dust isn't a problem right now here,mud is tho:cry:!Good luck

YellowDogSVC
04-29-2008, 08:46 AM
You may have to have it to call 911 for help,as in i need firetruck,HURRY!!!!! Let hope not.

:nono: Not funny!

JDSKIDSTEER
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I have suspected that the rubber tracks would not hold up while brush cutting. Considering what a set of rubber tracks cost, steel over the tire tracks with foam filled tires might be a much better route to take anyway when using a skid steer. At 3.5K for a set of tracks if you get 300 hours out of a set thats just under 12 dollars an hour. Depending on your situation that may be acceptable or it may not. If a rubber tracked machine got you places that a steel tracked skid steer would not, it might be worth it. However, I don't know what that situation would be. I have a set of Loegren Trail Blazer tracks with the wide pad it keeps my 10K 95Xt from sinking.
I repo'd at CT332 with mulcher head with 550 hours. Tracks did not realy look that bad.

jsbiker
04-29-2008, 11:01 AM
this looks and runs like a winner WOW it kicks butt.
i have tested it for 120 hrs
its the size of a skid steer only built 100 times better
125 hp JD

Hummer
04-29-2008, 12:25 PM
So what's the story on that machine? Who makes it?

Engine? Hydraulics?

More pictures?

Barry Construction
04-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Hello,

I would love to see more pics of that machine. We just purchased the Gyro Trac gt 13. Overall, we are some what impressed but fee for the money there are better machines out there!!

Thanks
Darin

jsbiker
04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
125 hp
all steel
PTO driven head
NO over heading
very fast very well built

Barry Construction
04-29-2008, 01:19 PM
125 hp
all steel
PTO driven head
NO over heading
very fast very well built

What is the price of this machine? Also, how high with the head lift up?

jsbiker
04-29-2008, 02:33 PM
i dont have my notes with me but as i remember bottom of the rotor to the ground is 34 inches

priceing i dont know i am an engineer not a sales person
also dont have ties to FAE or Fecon. just do a lot of testing of equipment

Hummer
04-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Here's a link to the 'Wood Devil' on FAE USA's website.

http://www.faeusa.com/content.asp?L=3&IdMen=377

I just spoke with someone at FAE, the approx. retail price is $200K. Two size heads available, a 4 ft. & 5 ft.. Built in Canada to FAE specifications.

Barry Construction
04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks Guys,

I will be testing out this machine in the next few week. Today I also tested out the new bobcat cutter on at T300 and for the price it seemed to cut pretty good..

jsbiker
04-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks Guys,

I will be testing out this machine in the next few week. Today I also tested out the new bobcat cutter on at T300 and for the price it seemed to cut pretty good..

haev you tried the "C" Cat big difference from the "B" very hard to get to stall heads and hard to get to over heat. they have the new hyd. system working now for a out of the box unit it works good.
I would take it over the T300 any day

:drinkup:

mowen
04-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Magnum will be coming out with new cutter knives in May. They will be reversible. they have a combo head also, you can use the same head on a excavator or a skid steer. Works real well on 8 to 10 inch trees.

jsbiker
05-02-2008, 08:59 AM
you can make good heads for each or halfass that fit both

i can get into the whys but i wont it to boring to put on paper

and its about the same for the teeth if it was a god thing evey one would be doing it.. same its to boring to put on paper its just a way to get your money for something that you things works good

:drinkup:

Hummer
05-02-2008, 09:39 AM
jsbiker,

Could you check for a PM that I sent you the other day?

Thanks!

jsbiker
05-02-2008, 09:58 AM
jsbiker,

Could you check for a PM that I sent you the other day?

Thanks!

what do you need from me???????

Hummer
05-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I was wondering what your knowledge is on the use of pump drives & clutches in mulching machines?

On some mulching machines there are switches for turning on & off the hydraulics. Are they just operating a clutch to engage drive power to the hydraulic pumps from the diesel engine with those switches? Or maybe they are positioning the swashplate in the pumps &/or motors?

Was also curious if pump drives (such as those offered by Deere/Funk) are in common use for mounting multiple hyd. pumps in a mulcher?

Thanks.

jsbiker
05-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I was wondering what your knowledge is on the use of pump drives & clutches in mulching machines?

On some mulching machines there are switches for turning on & off the hydraulics. Are they just operating a clutch to engage drive power to the hydraulic pumps from the diesel engine with those switches? Or maybe they are positioning the swashplate in the pumps &/or motors?

Was also curious if pump drives (such as those offered by Deere/Funk) are in common use for mounting multiple hyd. pumps in a mulcher?

Thanks.

the deere/funk type gearbox to drive pumps is the best why to go tha i know of.

i dont know of any units built in the last 5 years that have a clutch on a pump
with that said in cold areas 0 and colder it was the norm to have a clutch ahead of the pump gearbox so the engine could be started to heat the rest of the system. now most cold weather units have system heaters to keep all the systems up and ready to work.

the switch for truning the pump flow on and off is different from company to company.
most closed loop systems the switch is used to strok and de-strok the pump to fixed settings.
on open loop system (most sytems) it is used to open a bypass so that no PSI is built in the system this is OFF

i hope this helped if not let me know

Hummer
05-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Ok, sounds good. I think I'll pay attention better the next time I have the oppurtunity to look under the hood of a muching prime mover.

Thanks for the info.

jsbiker
05-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Ok, sounds good. I think I'll pay attention better the next time I have the oppurtunity to look under the hood of a muching prime mover.

Thanks for the info.

glade i could help

:drinkup::cool2:

Hummer
05-04-2008, 12:42 AM
http://www.cmimulching.com/client/page2.asp?page=16&clef=1&Clef2=3

rickrichards
05-31-2008, 02:48 AM
magnum is now owned by paladin
us mower is a good light mower as yd said
depends on what and where you cut
fecon has been flawless for us. magnum is okay with some tradeoffs.
fae is good as well
got a great near new fae flail for sale rrinc@mailmt.com

PecoVacs
04-16-2012, 02:38 PM
http://www.pecobrushcutters.com/models/tbb-3001/index.php

http://youtu.be/wK28uiDzTGc
http://youtu.be/FdsOLau9bio
http://youtu.be/nVpdE5e5_rM
http://youtu.be/G8NKPMm0QDM

trailmaker
05-05-2012, 10:14 PM
http://www.pecobrushcutters.com/models/tbb-3001/index.php