PDA

View Full Version : Steps

neversatisfiedj
08-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Anyone built steps using Belgard Celtic block ?

Rex Mann
08-01-2006, 11:25 PM
we use Belgard Celtic step units. They are sold in pairs.
The cap is about 1.5 inches deeper than a Celtic wall cap.
Cap and riser are 7-inches high.

Peace,

Rex

http://ArizonaPavers.Com

neversatisfiedj
08-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Rexx here is the situation since my supplier is no help . The rise is 3 1/2 feet and the width is 4 feet. The steps are coming out of a new addition and come up to the new slider onto a patio I'm doing. Belgard's site says nothing about the pedistal method just "cut in method" which does not apply to me . I am not going into a hill , as I said they are coming off of the slider. I have NO wall on the sides, just steps. So I need finished look on the sides as well ? I figure I will need 48 block to accomplish this.

DVS Hardscaper
08-02-2006, 07:13 PM
we used to do all our steps with Celtik. Until the local Belgard manufacturer's quality went down the tubes. Its a shame, as Belgards Celtik Block makes nice steps with 7" rises.

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/patios%201/Steps-Iron-HandRail-lg.jpg

This pic is from our web site. Is this what you're lookin for?

Feel free to brouse our site for ideas.

neversatisfiedj
08-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Thats it DVS ! Perfect - is that celtic block ? How did you get a finish on the sides ?

DVS Hardscaper
08-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Yes, it is Celtik.

Just form up the three sides as if you're building a retaining wall. Install caps for the first step.

Our steps always have TWO courses of block and 1 cap. Totaling to 10-inches of height. Yet, the step risers are 7". See, we bury the first course of block level with the cap infront of it. This keeps the step from sliding forward over time. And if warranty work is ever needed, it makes for EASY and QUICK repairing.

The inside is backfilled with COMPACTED CR8....NOT soil. NOT stone dust.

Its all hard to explain in text. Print out the pic and study it hard!

There are more pics of steps.

We do alotta steps.

Brouse our website. Click on services. Then click on patios/walks. You'll find MANY galleries of photos (106 photos to be exact). Click on the thumbnails and they DO enlarge.

Mike33
08-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Very nice, that works out to really what a standard step should be correct? I build a lot of walls very litttle steps, now im doing a job with 3 walls and steps in 2 of them.
Mike

DVS Hardscaper
08-03-2006, 08:22 PM
yes, most steps have risers of 6-8"

Seven works out perfect, 6 usually makes too many steps. the more steps - the more the handrails cost.

Now we do steps with Techo's Mini-Creta. 6" risers. I like Mini-Creta, but I HATE the 6" risers.

zedosix
08-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Nice work dvs, just chip the edges of the step caps and voila! no smooth edges.

neversatisfiedj
08-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Interesting to fill the in side with crusher-run. Iam used to building versa-lok and we just pile block on top of block - but you never have to worry about those steps going ANYWHERE. I will try your way as it will save me block. What is your web address ?

--Josh

neversatisfiedj
08-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Where do you get your handrails at ?

neversatisfiedj
08-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Do you use anchors or glue the whole step assembly ?

DVS Hardscaper
08-04-2006, 06:18 AM
yes, i agree with chipping the sides of the caps. but...there is a reason why we sometimes do not do that. long explanation - short : it boils down to measurements.

Josh - handrails come from a local ornamental fabricator..and they're powder coated!!!

No, the whole step assembly is not glued. Typically, only the caps and the corners.

www.outdoorfinishes.com (http://www.outdoorfinishes.com) brousing for ideas is fine. Pirating my pics will result in me makin one's life miserable, and trustt me - I'll know just byy a few clicks of a key buttons.

neversatisfiedj
08-04-2006, 05:42 PM
I would never pirate a pic - not my style at all. I will check out the site. I like your install method, but it will not work in my situation because the addition is bumped out past the foundation by 2 feet. So building a 3 sided wall will not keep the cr-8 in - it will run out the back.

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2006, 07:43 AM
If it has a bumpout that overhangs - then you form up 4 sides.

neversatisfiedj
08-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Ok let's clost this thread out. I form up four sides as if I'm building a boxed retaining wall. For the 90 degree corners, can I split the celtic block or do they sell corner pieces ? For the steps I knock the lip off right ? Thanks all for the info. Greatly appreciated.

--Josh

Electra_Glide
08-07-2006, 09:49 PM
DVS,

What's on the landing on the top. Looks like caps around the perimeter and pavers in the middle, right?

I have a customer who wants me to "fix" his front steps. He had foundation drains put in last year, and he also had a retaining wall built out of Versa-Lok (not by me). He used the leftover block to "rebuild" his front steps by leveling out the ground (sort-of) and then drystacking a bunch of block and caps. You can imagine what it looks like.

What he needs is something just like your pic earlier in the thread. I've built walls (Versa-Lok), but never any steps. Also, any suggestions about the best way to achieve a sufficient compacted base since some of it has to go over the 2B gravel that was put in for the foundation drains.

Thanks in advance...

Joe

neversatisfiedj
08-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Versa-lok steps are easy if you install a pedistal . Look in your literature for versa-lok and you will see how to install on the tech sheets.

D Felix
08-07-2006, 10:30 PM
We used the Celtik "skinny" block to build our wall with steps built into it last winter. The "skinny" block work out to be around 1/8" shorter than the Celtik risers, but we were gluing and adding grid to the whole assembly, so it worked out ok.

I personally didn't like doing that, but I'm not the one in charge. Give me Versa-lok any day- it looks good and all you need to do anything is the block and caps. No special corner pieces, no special steps, etc, etc. It's almost too easy as simplified as they've made it.

Dan

GreenMonster
08-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Give me Versa-lok any day- it looks good and all you need to do anything is the block and caps. No special corner pieces, no special steps, etc, etc. It's almost too easy as simplified as they've made it.

yeah, but you miss out on all the fun of backfilling cores! :hammerhead:

Electra_Glide
08-08-2006, 08:02 AM
I've looked at the tech sheets, and I agree that the pedestal method is pretty straighforward. What I'm trying to figure out is how to go about covering the wide landing at the top of the stairs. The Versa-Lok caps work great for the stair treads, but I'm not so sure how well they will work for the top landing without a lot cutting and trimming.

Joe

neversatisfiedj
08-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey DVS , how do you compact Jumping jack or hand tamp ?