PDA

View Full Version : Gut Check

Scag48
08-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey guys. Got a bit of an issue, need some insight. When we ordered our 312, I spec'd the "standard" 36" GP bucket, 24" trenching bucket and a 60" cleanup bucket. This was about the 2nd week in April. Our machine was delivered the 27th of April with the 36" GP. I was told that the buckets were on backorder since the day we ordered the machine and they weren't sure when they would show up. About 2 months ago I changed my order, I decided we'd be better off with a 48" cleanup. I've had a 60" rental cleanup since mid June and it's just too big for our machine, it was good thing I changed my order. Sales guy says no problem changing the order, he said they're pretty much out of everything anyway so I was never really earmarked a specific 60" so he said it's no big deal to change and shouldn't hurt the delivery date.

I've had dates thrown at me since about mid-May on estimations for when my buckets are going to show up. I was told end of June, mid July, and now here it is August, no buckets. My sales guy called me a couple days ago, says my buckets are in. Almost jumping for joy I told him whenever he wanted to deliver them to me I would be sure to be around and unload them for him. He said maybe Thursday or Friday last week, no call, went into the weekend thinking what the hell happened. Monday about noon I called, he said he would be up Tuesday (today) to deliver. I get a call about an hour before he's supposed to show up, says the buckets they took delivery of are for a 311, not a 312. WHAT THE HELL? Isn't the coupler the same damn size?

Needless to say I have the 60" I'm using for free, but I've been placing stone the last 3 days with a 36" bucket and it's been a PITA, would be much easier with something a little narrower, say maybe the 24" I've had on order for a good 3 1/2 months.

What really makes this hard for me is that we are treated very well by our dealer, but I need to figure out where to draw the line. They don't have a 24" bucket I could use, so I over-excavated my last utilities job by lack of bucket choice. About the only good thing about this whole deal is that we basically got the buckets thrown in for about half price when we signed the papers, so when it's all said and done we saved some money, but 3 1/2 months of waiting is just a bit ridiculous. Next excavator I buy is going to be stick and linkage only and I'm going to PSM for a coupler, thumb, and bucket, this is nuts. I need a gut check guys.

ksss
08-01-2006, 11:29 PM
We'll its not only CAT. I think every bucket, coupler, and thumb company out there is slammed. I have been quoted 10 week delivery dates on a 30" GP bucket. Every one you talk to is beyond busy.

Scag48
08-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Yeah I'm not really sure where to turn. They've got me by the balls and there's not a whole lot I can do. I'm still waiting for my sales guy to give me a call back and see if they just mis-delivered the buckets and that mine are still sitting in Seattle. If I get a call saying it's going to be a couple months, I think I'll ask them if they can cut the lugging off the 311 buckets and make them fit my coupler.

I hate to threaten my sales guy because he's not at fault, but almost 4 months for buckets is a little drawn out.

dug1016
08-02-2006, 01:43 AM
I quoted a customer two buckets that were in stock at manufacturers' factory and were placed on trauck July 19. Have yet to see them

notoriousDUG
08-02-2006, 08:50 AM
That is freakin' crazy. I woudl have lost my mind at/on somebody by now over the lack of buckets.

If anything I would lean on the sales guy to do WHATEVER it takes to get you a rental or loaner 24" bucket till yours gets in. There has to be somewhere in the country they can rent one to rent to you.

Not only has it been a crazy wait but you ar enow at the point where you are not able to peoperly use your equiptment due to their inability to get you what you ordered or find you a suitable replacement.

minimax
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
I thing cat buckets are made by PSM I would see if they can get you buckets quicker thorough them vs. cat. I thing i would call CWS,HPF,weldco beals and see how many weeks they are out.When I bought my 35 deere the mower took 3 weeks longer then it should have and got the dealer to upgrade the 30" bucket to a bolt on edge from standard edge and a new 12" from used from 12" . My friend bought a new 160 link belt and they threw in a new brush rake because of the machine was not ready when they said it was going to be. P.S. that rake retails for $4000!!!

qps
08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
If it helps, I'm still waiting on the new 304...now there saying Sept.1st...was July 7th, then the 21st...now this...best part is I still got there 304 until it comes in......I think I ordered it 3 months ago...can't remember it's been so long...

Scag48
08-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Called my sales guy today, he is completely sympathetic and is trying his utmost to help us out. He explained to me why the buckets ordered do not fit our coupler. Our dealer orders all their new machines as if they were going to put them into the rental fleet, so they have hydraulic coupler, hydraulic thumbs, high ambient cooling, cab work lights, etc., they're pretty loaded when they arrive at the dealership. They order their 312's with 315 couplers, which makes sense if they go into the rental fleet as 315's and 312's can share the same buckets, helps keep a streamlined bucket inventory for rentals. Basically my machine has a 315 coupler and uses 315 buckets and when the buckets were ordered they were ordered for a 312, makes sense as the machine is a 312, but it's a 312 with a 315 coupler, so that's why the buckets don't fit. Sales guy says they do have a 24" bucket in the rental fleet that he's going to loan me until mine show up. As he stated this morning, it's back to the drawing board for mine, probably 2-3 more months for mine to arrive :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

JDSKIDSTEER
08-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey guys. Got a bit of an issue, need some insight. When we ordered our 312, I spec'd the "standard" 36" GP bucket, 24" trenching bucket and a 60" cleanup bucket. This was about the 2nd week in April. Our machine was delivered the 27th of April with the 36" GP. I was told that the buckets were on backorder since the day we ordered the machine and they weren't sure when they would show up. About 2 months ago I changed my order, I decided we'd be better off with a 48" cleanup. I've had a 60" rental cleanup since mid June and it's just too big for our machine, it was good thing I changed my order. Sales guy says no problem changing the order, he said they're pretty much out of everything anyway so I was never really earmarked a specific 60" so he said it's no big deal to change and shouldn't hurt the delivery date.

I've had dates thrown at me since about mid-May on estimations for when my buckets are going to show up. I was told end of June, mid July, and now here it is August, no buckets. My sales guy called me a couple days ago, says my buckets are in. Almost jumping for joy I told him whenever he wanted to deliver them to me I would be sure to be around and unload them for him. He said maybe Thursday or Friday last week, no call, went into the weekend thinking what the hell happened. Monday about noon I called, he said he would be up Tuesday (today) to deliver. I get a call about an hour before he's supposed to show up, says the buckets they took delivery of are for a 311, not a 312. WHAT THE HELL? Isn't the coupler the same damn size?

Needless to say I have the 60" I'm using for free, but I've been placing stone the last 3 days with a 36" bucket and it's been a PITA, would be much easier with something a little narrower, say maybe the 24" I've had on order for a good 3 1/2 months.

What really makes this hard for me is that we are treated very well by our dealer, but I need to figure out where to draw the line. They don't have a 24" bucket I could use, so I over-excavated my last utilities job by lack of bucket choice. About the only good thing about this whole deal is that we basically got the buckets thrown in for about half price when we signed the papers, so when it's all said and done we saved some money, but 3 1/2 months of waiting is just a bit ridiculous. Next excavator I buy is going to be stick and linkage only and I'm going to PSM for a coupler, thumb, and bucket, this is nuts. I need a gut check guys.
I have had no problems getting buckets all year from any supplier. 3 weeks at the most.