PDA

View Full Version : saw? dry or wet?

GroundScapesIncorporated
08-02-2006, 07:51 PM
What does everyone prefer? and why?

Marco09
08-02-2006, 07:58 PM
theres benefits from both. Wet keeps the dust down and i think it gives it a better cut. But the majority of the times we do dry cuts.

jazak
08-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Mostly dry. Doesn't take time to setup. But water is better.

Dreams To Designs
08-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Dry cut with the Edco table saw which uses a shop vac to control and eliminate the dust and cleanup. When cutting with a demo saw, dry is much easier as the hose attachment is very unwieldy. Always try to cut downwind of the project, home or any other important areas that may not appreciate concrete dust and silica being sprayed all over them.

Kirk

DVS Hardscaper
08-03-2006, 07:10 PM
If OSHA see's you cutting dry - they'll fine you.

And they ARE cracking down on patio builders cutting dry and just lettin dust clouds form.

GroundScapesIncorporated
08-03-2006, 08:31 PM
If OSHA see's you cutting dry - they'll fine you.

And they ARE cracking down on patio builders cutting dry and just lettin dust clouds form.

Thanks for the heads up DVS Hardscaper

If osha wasnt cracking down, which saw would you prefer.

Seabass2500
08-03-2006, 09:38 PM
It only takes a minute to plug the hose into the saw and it is a nicer cut. Most importantly, why not cut it wet...? If you dry cut you do make the big clouds of dust which in-turn get dust on everything at your client's house, patio, pool, cars, neighbor's house, neighbor's car... and so on. Just plugging in the hose negates all those issues. Plus, a good diamond blade will wear slower if used wet.

Happy Cutting! :)

GroundScapesIncorporated
08-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Ok so most of you guys prefer wet saws.

Any recomendations on what wet saw to buy.

Also a few of you say a wet saw makes a nicer cut, How is this?
Our dry (chop style) saws make perfect cuts every time with a 14" diamond blade, how can a wet saw make a better cut? Just curious?

DVS Hardscaper
08-04-2006, 06:20 AM
EDCO is the saw that all should be using.

When they (EDCO) send you their mailers, check out the good looking guy running a saw :) Autographs are available upon request!

Dreams To Designs
08-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Check out the HSS14, it is the easiest saw to use and the cleanup is a breeze every day. http://www.edcoinc.com/index.html/screen/hardscape_saws/session_id/f6f13108ad43fa5502cbfea4e164b300

Kirk

GroundScapesIncorporated
08-04-2006, 07:56 AM
so a gas powered wet saw is the wat to go?

These things keep getting more and more expensive.

Ive went from $400 dry saw

to a $750 dry saw with sliding tray

to $1200 electric wet saw

now to a $2200 gas wet saw?

With a gas powered saw,
Do you keep the saw running all day or do you start it every time you need to cut?
Also wouldnt a gas saw be less profitable?

GroundScapesIncorporated
08-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Sorry for all the questions guys. But if I am going to spend 2500 on a saw, I just want to make sure Im getting the right one.

Any body know the difference between the MK 2005-G and Edco Hss-14?

Thanks for all the help.

Dreams To Designs
08-04-2006, 10:08 AM
The Edco saw is not a primarily wet cut saw. You use a shop vac to gather the dust and complete the cleanup. The adjustable table/cart is great for transport and cutting. You do need electric power for the vac, but you don't need a water source and bucket full of water to clean the pieces you cut with a wet saw. If you use a wet saw, you must be very thorough with your cleaning daily, or you will be taking a chisel to the tray once a week. Anything with a Honda engine will be a good quality product, and MK makes good saws, I have found through experience and the experience of many installers that I work with, the Edco is a better tool for the job.

Kirk

Pavers Plus
08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
http://www.iscenterpointe.com/joey/p...equipment.html

I think the electric saw is the way to go because of portability (weighs only 75lbs), so is easy to transport by one person. You will rarely blow a fuse if using the correct extension cord and don't bog down the saw. Saw can be used wet with optional wet cutting kit. They also have a dust hood in final development to connect to shop vac for dry cutting.

Gas saws can be nice, but are also large and bulky. You'll see the use of electric saws increase substantially in the next few years..... The trend is moving away from the big bulky gas saws. There will always be a use for the gas powered saw, but the electric saw is all you really need.

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Kirk - Well - it depends on which model you're talking Are you talking about the electric vac, or the gas powered vac? the gas powered vac is SWEET. But the unit costs way more than their biggest paver saw. The electric vacs are a pain in the ass. I hate extension cords on job sites, they're one more obstical the guys need to be aware of, ontop of being careful to not drive the skid loader over where Helen Homeowner just recently buried her deceased kitty cat 'Whiskers', that lived to be 19 yrs old.

we use the hss-14. will cut most wall block, which is something that if you're doing hardscapes is necessary.

I respectfully disagree with Pavers Plus. I don't like the concept of electric paver saws.

Sure they cut just fine.

But - extension cords do not belong on job sites. I say this because the average job site has the terrain torn up, and there is typically a skid loader being operated through out the day. We'd have the extension cord(s) torn up before lunch time. We have used a electric saw, for photo shooting purposes. Cut great. Nice and quiet, and all that other nice stuff. Breaker tripped after one and a half hrs of operation. No one was home to gain entry for resetting. Just not practical. And more importantly not practical when production is the focus. I dont like to have to depend on others (meaning client supplied electricity).

Seabass2500
08-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I agree mostly with DVS. You will have pros & cons for each type of saw. Just picture yourself at some of your past jobs and image with would have been more productive and/or a hindrance. There are lots of factors, but you need so figure out which ones are most important to you.

You will probably do what most of us do... weigh your personal concerns, listen to others suggestions, and buy the saw you think will work best... then go buy the right saw next season! :laugh:

That is usually the process we all go though. I would only like to add, don't buy the most expensive model of which ever saw you choose. Less money out of pocket and you will probably be buying a new one soon! It also never hurts to rent an electric saw for a job and then a gas one for the next job... that will give you your best comparison.

GL