PDA

View Full Version : Ready to add second truck need opinions

lawn guy
08-02-2006, 10:18 PM
I am ready to add a second truck to the mix, Should I Register it in my name or the business? Does it matter?
Should I notify insurance company of all drivers that will use truck?
Should I notify insurance company of use for business?
How much would it cost to insure lets say a 95 S-10 or something similar?
are there any other questions that I should be asking before I make this move?
any guidance would be appreciated

LLandscaping
08-02-2006, 10:32 PM
You must notify the insurance company and tell them it is for business use.

PerennialSuccess
08-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Check Progressive.com for personal quotes, fairly good estimates and very quick to do. As far as business insurance, I really don't know of any online places that give instant quotes. I know that as the GVWR goes up, the price is going to go up quite a bit.

mowerman90
08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
LawnGuy,

Legally you should already have commercial insurance. If you don't and you are involved in an accident while towing your equipment, your insurance company could refuse to pay! Commercial insurance will be about 1/3 more expensive than personnel insurance. I was carrying Allstate but switched to Progressive and saved over $500 per year, so it does pay to shop around.

DuraCutter
08-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Mowerman is right.

It's only when a bad accident happens that most people realize there are exceptions where you're insurance can refuse to pay.

That could leave you bankrupt and without a home if it's a bad accident.

Don't take a chance. I believe the insurance call it unknown risks. People lie to insurance and don't declare what they do with vehicles.

nobagger
08-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Same boat here, but I am waiting until next season. We only have about 3 months left in this season so I can suck it up until then. But you should already have commercial liability on your truck and yes you have to notify your insurance agent that you are adding another truck and who will be driving it. But sit down when he gives you the price,lol

J&R Landscaping
08-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I've gotten quotes from quite a few different companies. Shopping around is your friend on this topic!

lawn guy
08-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Shopping around is a good thing but how do you shop when you havnt puchased the truck or not sure who the driver will be. I dont want to buy the second truck and then find out its to expensive to run it ;)

RedWingsDet
08-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I've heard of people buying trucks in their name and leasing them to the company.

Also, get commercial auto insurance, its legal and its CHEAPER.