PDA

View Full Version : Sealer Supply/Price Increase

cruella
08-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Dear Guys & Gals in the Sealcoating Industry...Just a quick update on supply & price of RT-12. Rec'd letter indicating supply will be on a VERY limited/Allocated basis for the rest of the year & a Substantial Price Increase at the end of August, beginning of September (Quarters..not Dimes/Gallon). Please, Please be cautious of bidding too far in advance. Contact Mfg/Supplier of what their outlook is like Thru October (or whenever your season ends!) Personally - I think it's not going to be a $ issue, but an availability issue. A phone call could save you a lot of time and trouble - It's better to know Now, than get hurt later!!

PROCUT1
08-03-2006, 05:02 PM
whats RT-12?

cruella
08-03-2006, 11:45 PM
;) Sorry for the abbreviation...Refined Tar #12 is required to manufacture Coal Tar Emulsion Pavement Sealer. It is the Major component in mfg & is the Most Expensive as well. RT-12 & other raw materials are necessary for manufacturing according to Federal Specification RP-355e. In my world - that the biggest difference between good quality pavement sealer & blackwater garbage disguised as Good Quality Pavement Sealer. Hope this helped!!

PROCUT1
08-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Thought so..wasent clear on the abbreviation. No huge increases here. Just a hefty fuel surcharge for the semi to deliver it

shepoutside
08-06-2006, 12:58 AM
30 % increase in my area this year. :canadaflag:

ChicagoSeal
08-07-2006, 12:18 AM
No increase DURING this year, though we've had it happen a few times where instead of coal-tar we get an emulsion mix, and that was ten cents cheaper (also add less water to it bc the solids are less in the concentrate). Now they are making their straight coal-tar sealer a blend, I am not sure how much of a blend it is, and am not too happy about it, but it's the same price because it's the "same" product name.

I have noticed during the year, because there is a new guy in there from time to time and I pay on a cash account, that their prices for "new" clients has gone up. In the beginning of the year it was something like 1.45 I think, and a month ago it was at 1.55 and now it's somewhere at 1.65 or 1.70 per gallon. Thew new guys can never find my company on the computer and don't know where to look in the manual book for my company so they try to give me that "new" price the first time I see them. I don't tell them beforehand where to look because I kind of like to know what kind of prices travelers and other sorts of sealers are getting that come in randomly.

Last year I think it was 15 cents cheaper though, but I was with a bigger company and was not an owner at the time. This year I started my own company but I am smaller, so some of that increase may be due to my company not getting as much sealer per week as the old company.