PDA

View Full Version : '97 F-250 F-350

walker/redmax
08-03-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm lookin' into buying a used 1997 Ford f250 or f350. These are my favorite trucks ever made. I like them way better than the new Fords. My dad used to own a two tone blue and white one with the extended cab and bed. That was the vehicle I learned to drive in. Very unfortunately he rolled it before it hit 100,000 miles. If it werent for that, it would be my truck now. Turbo diesel, 4x4, 5speed manual transmission is what I want. Now to the question. All of 'em that I see on ebay have 100000k plus. So how long should I expect these things to run before they start costing me thousands of dollars a year to maintain? I know the diesel engines will go for ever and ever but what about the rest of the vehicle? Thanks!:drinkup:

jazak
08-03-2006, 07:08 PM
There's a dealer near me who has a 1997 F-250, diesel, 4x4, auto, blue, regular cab, never plowed with, 81K miles. He is asking $11,999 but will take $10K CASH.

jazak
08-03-2006, 07:24 PM
But I guess thats to far from you. (Just realized you are in Colorado)

walker/redmax
08-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post though. I might be willing to drive that far if I got an excellent deal (good enough for me to justify a plane ticket out there and gas on the way home).:waving:

FearThisDeere
08-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Of course the body condition and such will vary from truck to truck. The engine should last well into 200k miles. The auto trannys can be a problem, but I am not sure about the manuals. Look for the usual Ford rust spots around the rear wheel wells and around the dorr jams. I would try to look for a winter free truck like in Texas if you are willing to travel. Personally, they are the best looking trucks. I love the boxy square look of them. I am hoping to find one around here pretty soon, but just have not really started to look yet. Good luck in your search.:waving:

lwcmattlifter
08-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I've got a 97 w/5 speed and it needs scyncros for 1/2 gear but it's got 140k of hard miles. The clutches are the weak link in those trucks. Get a Luk or Southbend 1 piece and you will be good to go. I would stay away from the 250's because the IFS cant hold an alignment for crap and they need ball joints and tie rod ends every 50k miles it seems like. If you can't work on the truck, specifically the engine, shop labor will be expensive. That goes for every diesel though.

walker/redmax
08-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Of course the body condition and such will vary from truck to truck. The engine should last well into 200k miles. The auto trannys can be a problem, but I am not sure about the manuals. Look for the usual Ford rust spots around the rear wheel wells and around the dorr jams. I would try to look for a winter free truck like in Texas if you are willing to travel. Personally, they are the best looking trucks. I love the boxy square look of them. I am hoping to find one around here pretty soon, but just have not really started to look yet. Good luck in your search.:waving:
Its why I love 'em!:D

Fordsuvparts
08-03-2006, 11:05 PM
We have a 1997 F-350 Xlt Crewcab 4x4 Long bed 7.3, It has an airbag suspension in the rear and extra heavy duty sway bars front and rear. It has 189,000 miles and runs great, we had to put a new trany and clutch after it was run into a ditch and busted the transmission housing. I love that body style too and would love to get another. I wouldn't worry about spending all that money on repairs because that is part of owning a diesel truck, It's not as bad as people say it is, but it does cost more to maintain.