PDA

View Full Version : weed eater/string trimmer?

Andy_
08-03-2006, 08:00 PM
I am looking to get a new weed eater. What brand/models do you prefer?

lawnboy dan
08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
husky! light and powerfull. reliable so far -2nd season.

barnard
08-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Husqvarna is my choice. Very light, good performance, and dependable.

ThirdDay
08-03-2006, 09:49 PM
We use all Echo trimmers, blowers, hedge clippers and they work great for us.

Excellent dealer support, great products excellent power to weight ratio etc....

We have had several of our trimmers for 4 or 5 years now and they still are going strong. (SRM-2601's and SRM-260S's)

walker/redmax
08-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Redmax all the way. If you search "redmax trimmer" you will find the same thing as I am telling you. Get the BCZ2400S or BCZ2600S if you are just doing lawns and brush occasionally or "the beast" the BCZ3000S if you really need the power or are just related to Tim Allen.:D I have the 2600 and 3000 and they beat every other trimmer I have ever owned in every way (that includes Husqvarna and Stihl.) Hope you are happy with whatever you buy!!:drinkup:

grass-scapes
08-04-2006, 09:19 PM
They have machines that "Eat Weeds?" I should replace my String trimmers with them so I don't have to spray any more of those nasty chemicals.

:laugh:

Proscapez LLC
08-04-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm enjoying my New Dolmar and my dealer has offered me a great deal on a second one.
It's fun being able to power through anything.
I'll buy it next month if he still has it.

yungman
12-02-2007, 03:53 AM
I am considering RedMax BCZ3000s or a Honda HHT35 35cc 4 cycle trimmer, which one last longer and trouble free? Should I kick in Stihl FS100 into the mix?
Thanks

DavidR
12-02-2007, 10:53 AM
I have had pretty good luck with my FS110. I'm a homeowner and have been using it for almost two years without any maintenance.

shane mapes
12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
stihl makes a few homeowner string trimmer. price not to bad but well worth it....

mowerkid01
12-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I wouls go stihl all the way! stihl is number 1 in the woods!

yungman
12-17-2007, 03:14 AM
Depend on whether you are pro or home owner. For pro, you can read all the other opinions in the site. Weight is very very important. For home owner like me, I just bought a Honda 4 cycle and absolutely love it. It is heavy, but if you use only 20 minutes ones a week, it does not matter. I bought the bike handle one. With the harness, I used it almost non stop for 2 hours and was ok, I don't really felt the weight.

I like the fact that it is very very quiet. If you are pro, you just go there and blast the engine and leave. For home owner, you have to be more considerate to your neighbor particular if you live in densely populated area like me. That is where Honda shine. It is a lot quieter than Shindaiwa C4 of same size. It all depend on what your situation is. I don't like to mix oil so separate oil type like Honda works better for me. Last but not the least of all, you ever hear anything bad about Honda?? Anything?? cars...mower...tillers....There GX engines are pretty famous in industrial world, hobby world and even motorize bike world. Husqvarna 324 trimmers use GX25, just cost more.

Even if you are a homeowner, don't get cheap, I learn my lesson. It make a big difference. My last one was a Troy Bilt 4 cycle, cost me $200. I thorght it was a big step up from the Craftsman already. After I used the Honda, it is day and night. Spend more to get a good one and it will last you for years. I forget to mension, the Honda start cool with 2 pull max, hot always 1 pull.
Good luck

cranesrule
12-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Stihl FS55... Best bang for the buck for a homeowner that I found. Great power at the bottom and top end, well balanced, not too heavy. Also has the Auto Cut head, the best, easiest to use head design I have seen.

steve45
12-17-2007, 10:52 PM
I've got a 24-year-old Green Machine that is a real workhorse. Of course, they are no longer available. I've cut down 3" trees with it (with a blade).

However, at my lakehouse I use a Ryobi straight shaft trimmer with interchangeable heads. It also has an edger attachment and a polesaw attachment. It starts easily & runs well. I paid $139 for the entire package (factory reconditioned) at a Cummins truckload tool sale. Would it be good for a pro? Of course not! But for home use, it will probably last several years.

dKoester
12-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Stilh FS 90's are nice.

fishinpa
12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm a homeowner and bought the Red-Max 2600S last spring. At 9.5lbs I am amazed at the power.

I bought this one because the dealer told me the hedge-trimmer end from the larger commercial unit fits right on the end of this one, which it does! (no shims required) I can swap out the ends in less than 5 minutes with noting more than an allen head wrench.

I'm hooked on their Komatsu engines.

topsites
12-20-2007, 07:27 PM
For a home owner likely the largest Stihl you'll want is an FS-85, a slightly smaller model is just as well unless you have a LOT of trimming. For an Echo I'd recommend no larger than the 260s or slightly smaller.

What I would do is find an outdoor power equipment dealer who sells specifically these commercial products, such as Echo, Stihl, Redmax, Shindaiwa. Then ask him these questions.

I personally recommend Stihl, but Echo is a fine machine.
Either will run effortlessly for years, do be prepared to hand over up to $300.
You can try cheaper, but much under 240 you won't get the quality and performance, and it will suxor lol.

But do use a dealer, much better for warranty support or any other repairs than a HD / Lowe's / Sears / etc deal will be further down the road, you will likely want this type of support at least for parts, if not repairs, it helps a lot.