PDA

View Full Version : Harley Rake Question

dozerman21
08-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Hey guys, how well do Harley Rakes work with weeds? I have an old corn field with weeds that I want to level out so it's not so hard to mow. The weeds are around 3 ft. tall but not very thick. I'm thinking of renting a 96" Harley rake for my Deere CT332. I just want to know if it will chew up the weeds, or do I need to strip them off fiirst.:confused:

Thanks!

Scag48
08-04-2006, 01:24 AM
It'll level them out, but more than likely it'll just throw them down and chew them up. You'll end up with a windrow of weeds at the end of the row, but it'll take a couple of passes to get it completely churned up. I did a vineyard once with our Harley, worked pretty well and I was getting up pretty nasty stuff fairly easily. You shouldn't have any problems, it just might take a couple passes.

AWJ Services
08-04-2006, 08:55 AM
It amazes me how much stuff a Harley rake can wind up around that drum.

Scag48
08-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah, it'll wind stuff up, but it still works.

start2finish
08-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I would mow or bush hog it first, it will make it easier.

Team-Green L&L
08-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Is there a reason you didn't choose to bush hog?

dozerman21
08-06-2006, 02:57 AM
I own a Dixie Chopper that will cut it, but it takes a long time due to the cornrows. I don't have a bushhog, so I'd rather rent a Harley rake for a day and use my track loader than pay to have it bushhogged. There are houses on both sides, so I want to keep it looking nice. I plan to build on it someday.

blankenshiplawncare
08-06-2006, 11:04 AM
See if one of the rental company's has a cutter attachment for your skidsteer. I just bought a Bradco 60". It is more or less a bush hog. Works great. Rather loud though.

I have a Harley Rake (60"). I agree with the last posts that you need to cut it first.

AWJ Services
08-06-2006, 11:25 AM
The other option is too take the bucket teeth and drag most of the weeds too the ground and up root them then Harley rake it.

I have run my Harley rake over just about anything and everything.

Whats fun is when you find one of those old invisible dog fences that they bury an inch below the ground.Makes a mess.