PDA

View Full Version : Tenant put mortar in pavers

brentsawyer
08-03-2006, 11:29 PM
I have a tenant renting my old house who had a contract to purchase the home and recently bailed on the purchase contract. While she lived at the house she placed mortar in the joints of approximately 200sq. of sand bed pavers. To make a long story short, I need concrete evidence that what she did is catastrophic to the patio and that she is liable for suit of replacing the area of which is one tier of a three tier patio which is no longer in production and is comprised of four different sizes from four different pallets @$375/ea. So basically make her pay dearly for what she did since it is irreplaceable and for bailing on a good faith purchase contract that she lived in for several months and must be taken up, disposed of and relaid. BTW I'm ICPI certified but obviously a letter from me citing this is biased.

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2006, 09:22 AM
It's not "catastrophic".

Just a not recommended procedure.

It'll cost you more to battle it than its worth

Be greatful you have a beautiful, healthy family and don't sweat the small stuff.

hickslawns
08-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Bailed on the contract after a few months and you think you are going to be able to get more money out of her? Sounds like a waste of time. I am in the process of fixing one of my houses (again) and this is the risk you take. Amazing the damage in a short time. Be thankful it isn't worse. Sounds like revenge in your mind. That is up to you, but I don't think it is worth the stress to carry around the anger. Let yourself cool off a few weeks, fix it up, and write it off to school of hard knocks. I doubt you will be able to recover anything, and it will cost you more money.

sheshovel
08-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't think you can do that. Though I don't think she can change the property in any way either until the purchase is complete.

promower
08-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Unfortunately the most you will get is to keep her security deposit if she gave you one.

jd boy
08-11-2006, 03:56 PM
dvs said it right, it is not catastrophic. I would almost be a good strong power washing with a 0 degree tip would take it right out.

sounds like an over reaction because she stiffed you, which is part of the rental game. get used to it or get out.

Precision
08-14-2006, 07:41 PM
next time some renter is "gonna" buy the house, do it as a lease option.

get $5000 for the option and then if they bail you keep the $5000.

Just google lease option contracts and you will find good examples of how to do it and usually if someone comes up with a non-refundable $5000 deposit, they are serious.