PDA

View Full Version : lettering a red truck

mcwlandscaping
08-05-2006, 09:58 PM
as some of you may or may not know, i am about to buy a truck within the next week or two. I love the truck but the only thing i can't really figure out is how will be the best way to letter it. What colors go well with the red. im color blind with certain shades of certain colors so that makes it hard for me to pick something out that would really look good. Could someone post some pics or describe how your red trucks are lettered...thanks
The link is to a thread with a pic of the front of my biz card (my post is a little ways down the first page)...ide really like to incorporate the designs of that on the lettering, so any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well. This isn't something ide be doing right away, but maybe a month or two off, im not sure yet, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=133697&highlight=biz+cards

mike

TWUllc
08-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Bold white letters with black outlines.

newz7151
08-05-2006, 10:12 PM
A gold color with black outline. Or a yellow with black outline. I'll email you a pic of ours but I can't post it directly to LS.

mcwlandscaping
08-05-2006, 10:19 PM
newz, that would be great...my email is mcwlandscaping@yahoo.com

qualitylawnmanagement
08-05-2006, 11:06 PM
hey mike whats up? You still plan on buying James's truck?

mcwlandscaping
08-05-2006, 11:11 PM
hey mike whats up? You still plan on buying James's truck?
my needs have changed since then!! 1/2 ton won't be able to do what i need it to do, i could actually benefit from a 1 ton but need this first vehicle to also be a daily driver. I ended up finding a 1996 GMC Sierra 2500 with very low miles for its age. VERY nice paint job on it, still original i believe, and the 96 body style is my favorite from chevy so far (besides the brand new ones) so i love the truck. Extremely clean, ill be hanging an 8ft fisher HD MM1 or MM2 off the front! And most likely will have a dump insert put in.

qualitylawnmanagement
08-05-2006, 11:28 PM
my needs have changed since then!! 1/2 ton won't be able to do what i need it to do, i could actually benefit from a 1 ton but need this first vehicle to also be a daily driver. I ended up finding a 1996 GMC Sierra 2500 with very low miles for its age. VERY nice paint job on it, still original i believe, and the 96 body style is my favorite from chevy so far (besides the brand new ones) so i love the truck. Extremely clean, ill be hanging an 8ft fisher HD MM1 or MM2 off the front! And most likely will have a dump insert put in.

Good Luck! That truck should serve you well. What motor? 5.7? The 5.7 is a good motor. Your making the right move with going to a 3/4 ton truck.

mcwlandscaping
08-05-2006, 11:34 PM
yea mike, thanks, im glad i waited till about now to buy this truck, patience is a virtue!! yes, its got the 5.7 vortec V8 in it, same motor and year as my dads suburban. They both have the same interiors, the only difference, and only difference, besides ones a burban and ones a truck, is the exterior color and the truck has cloth seats instead of the vinal on the burban! I love it, can't believe i found one of this year in such good condition with the miles its got!!!

THEGOLDPRO
08-05-2006, 11:38 PM
got any pics???

mcwlandscaping
08-05-2006, 11:45 PM
yes, here are two pics, one of interior and one of outside of truck....the cap on the bed is being takin off the second gets home! really hope this all works out the way i want it to!

Pic one...Exterior

mcwlandscaping
08-05-2006, 11:47 PM
pic two...interior!!

Team-Green L&L
08-06-2006, 12:01 AM
as some of you may or may not know, i am about to buy a truck within the next week or two. I love the truck but the only thing i can't really figure out is how will be the best way to letter it. What colors go well with the red. im color blind with certain shades of certain colors so that makes it hard for me to pick something out that would really look good. Could someone post some pics or describe how your red trucks are lettered...thanks
The link is to a thread with a pic of the front of my biz card (my post is a little ways down the first page)...ide really like to incorporate the designs of that on the lettering, so any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well. This isn't something ide be doing right away, but maybe a month or two off, im not sure yet, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=133697&highlight=biz+cards

mike

I can design your lettering for vinyl print or digital print if you'd like. PM me if needed.

THEGOLDPRO
08-06-2006, 12:06 AM
you gonna keep the cap or ditch it??

Palmer'sLS
08-06-2006, 12:24 AM
you gonna keep the cap or ditch it??
see post #10...mike...great truck man....im happy for ya!

THEGOLDPRO
08-06-2006, 12:35 AM
see post #10...mike...great truck man....im happy for ya!
jeez skimmed right over that, good choice then. :)

mcwlandscaping
08-06-2006, 12:57 AM
I can design your lettering for vinyl print or digital print if you'd like. PM me if needed.
thanks, i sent you a PM...

everyone else, thanks for the replies, GoldPro, im assuming you don't like caps either!!:laugh: :laugh:

RedWingsDet
08-06-2006, 01:24 AM
I use white lettering on all my trucks, I've had 3 Red trucks and I always use plain white.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=50311&stc=1&d=1140109556

Team-Green L&L
08-06-2006, 02:11 AM
White looks good on red. I came up with this for now. PM me if you like and I'll lessen the number of colors to a more cost-effecient design.

Team-Green L&L
08-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Here's the draft logo.

jojoleafsfan
08-06-2006, 02:21 AM
My frist lawn truck was a Red 1992 F-150 and i chose silver,it went great with the red.Hope that helps.:canadaflag:

Metro Lawn
08-06-2006, 02:34 AM
I use to use white, but went with yellow now for more contrast.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
08-06-2006, 07:36 AM
This is my truck.....

BSDeality
08-06-2006, 11:25 AM
ditto on the white letters/black outline and yellow also. kinda crappy picture at night but you get the idea...
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41678&d=1126055946

TWUllc
08-06-2006, 11:48 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Looks real good.:clapping:

mcwlandscaping
08-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Thank you all for the comments about the truck and all of the lettering suggestions, i really like the look of just letters, like BSDealty and Keystone, gets the point accross and looks very professional.

FearThisDeere
08-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Mike, if you don't mind me asking, what dealer was that truck at? I could of swornb that I looked at a truck just like that only it was not really what I am looking for at this time. If I remember correctly that was one nice truck for the price. I agree with ditching the cap. I had one on a 1996 F150 ext. cab and it was a PITA on there, but I just left it on as I was not landscaping with it. The only scratch on the truck when I sold it was when I dropped the cap taking it off. Watch that paint on the cap removal! I almost cried when I scratched mine.

mcwlandscaping
08-06-2006, 12:32 PM
I also really do like how redwingsdet incorporated the tree in with the words, that looks great as well.

mcwlandscaping
08-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Mike, if you don't mind me asking, what dealer was that truck at? I could of swornb that I looked at a truck just like that only it was not really what I am looking for at this time. If I remember correctly that was one nice truck for the price. I agree with ditching the cap. I had one on a 1996 F150 ext. cab and it was a PITA on there, but I just left it on as I was not landscaping with it. The only scratch on the truck when I sold it was when I dropped the cap taking it off. Watch that paint on the cap removal! I almost cried when I scratched mine.
The add says the truck is at wholesale motor mart

FearThisDeere
08-06-2006, 12:35 PM
That might have been the one that I looked at. I have been all over the place looking for trucks in the past few weeks. It looks great no matter where it is.

BSDeality
08-06-2006, 01:45 PM
FWIW, my tailgate is actually a giant magnet and we changed my logo for it a little bit to maximize usuable advertising space too.

troy03
08-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Ive got a red Chevy HD that I got it lettered this spring. The sign company used an off white and a dark green for the letters and tree. It stands out well. Still have to upload pictures yet.

mcwlandscaping
08-06-2006, 07:51 PM
If you could post some pics of that if/when you get a chance, ide really like to see it. Thinking about that off white color, i think ill like it.

thanks

troy03
08-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Ill work on it, I need to upload some pics of my camara any way.

2004F550
08-06-2006, 08:43 PM
gold leafing...fake or real

bbailey
08-06-2006, 09:04 PM
I did silver with a black drop shadow behind it on my red dump. Really stands out!

newz7151
08-06-2006, 09:08 PM
MCW,

Did you get my email?

South Florida Lawns
08-06-2006, 09:29 PM
The best way to do lettering on a red truck is silver graphics.

Keep it simple, but do use an elegant font to make your company stand out and look professional.

BTW Mike do you know I work at a sign shop on the weekends from time to time and in the winter. I have done up a whole fleet of 1 ton Chevy's for a construction company, turned out great using Orcal vinyl.

mcwlandscaping
08-06-2006, 11:07 PM
MCW,

Did you get my email?
yes i did, i really really like that, looks really great on that truck! i like that eXmark logo too!!!

rfed32
08-06-2006, 11:45 PM
i know this prob isnt what u want but seeing that im still young and have both a biz and social life i went with mags...this is what it looks like...they also go on my dump when i use it...but my cuz normaly has it for his biz....i paid for it he paid for all the motor work dump stuff plow etc. so we split it but if i need it, i have it lol

stuffdeer
08-07-2006, 11:39 AM

Wow...You should see my truck from me taking the 600 lb cap on and off...

I'd love to only have that one scratch. I'll take a pic of it when I'm out there.