PDA

View Full Version : Paver pics.............no b*tching

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:17 AM
I have minimal paver experience but am ICPI certified..........I'm in business for myself now after working for two of the biggest companies in my area.................I am more of a landscape design/build guy and mason but am getting more into pavers. I know some of the quirks on this project and will point them out but were caused by the customer (you'll see).

Any constructive critiquing would be appreciated..........here's my first install all on my own:

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:18 AM
under the deck.................btw, used a mini-ex for the excavation

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:21 AM
4 tons of concrete jack hammered out + help of mini-ex

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:23 AM
from under the deck...........oh look, its the guy i fired.......hi guy:hammerhead:

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:25 AM
pavers go'n down...............Roman Blend...........owner did front walk so had to match, they've got a baby now + it took them over a month to do the walk themselves hence where i came into the picture

can you spot the safety glasses? do you use them? you should

Team-Green L&L
08-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Very nice!

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:28 AM
last minute curve the homeowner added

grass_cuttin_fool
08-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Looks good to me but I have to admit I know nothing about doing that kind of work

wayne

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:30 AM
how do you like it........tight or loose? haha

btw.........i will never use this edging again................flemsy POS

jazak
08-06-2006, 11:31 AM
You did a good job, not your problem the homeowner "knows better". I think that "curve" could have been put in but not as noticeable.

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:33 AM
patio to cover under the deck..........hold thoughts on the post bases, explanation is coming

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:37 AM
okay.......this is where I did NOT agree with homeowner...........see the step, not a full step even due to grade between door and bottom of deck steps.........I was not going ot have a step, all on level and about a 1/2" lip at the basement door but he insisted on a step into the basement and mentioned concerns of water even though the house is on a hill side haha........SO that lowered the patio screwing up the posts exposing the concrete that they were poured in.............due to budget columns were not an option so I took pavers and liquid nails to cover the bases

customer is happy, i disagree but who cares, i'm not the one paying for it

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:40 AM
straaaaaaaaaaaaight.........it is perfectly straight but somehow this pic doesn't agree with me totally on that, cameras can do strange things i guess

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:42 AM
here's the post/base...........before you comment on the slivers against the house the concrete step that comes out of the house sticks out that much more than the house..........so on the sides of it i had that gap and had to fill it

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:43 AM
move 4 tons of concrete rubble and grade all that crap with 2 people!!!!.............btw, this is only about 1/4 of it what you can see in this pic of the area to be graded and so fourth

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:46 AM
2 people????? I don't think so........there's a reason I cut most my job hours at previous companies by 25%, USE YOUR HEAD

"work smarter, not harder"

there's my good buddy and right hand man, gotta have a good right hand man.............say hi right hand man

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:48 AM
all that needs now is a hole for the golf ball :laugh:

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:50 AM
forget Red Bull...............sweet tea baby!! hard thing to find up here, whats with these people and unsweet????

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:51 AM
remember that 4 tons of concrete??? well my trailer is 10k lb GW, that puts me 500lbs over..........doesn't look so heavy now does it? ;) county boys up here are always on the hunt

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:54 AM
owners crib.............i'll be renovating that landscape

so yeah I posted a lot of pics but for the guys with even less experience that I you can get an idea of the involvement of such a project

if you have any questions just ask and as I said, anything constructive about my work would be appreciated................have a good one fellas!!! Monday's on its way!

the company is just us 2 right now...........hire maybe one more this year but come spring prob 2 more, I'm 22 and right hand man/buddy 26

mrusk
08-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I hate that pattern!! But that is not your fault. That curve looks weird. You should of made it flow better.

To get better cuts with the curves, overlay and than cut in place with the demo saw.

Over all not bad for a 22 year old. I'm 20 and just finishing up 2500sq of bluestone.

Matt

grass_cuttin_fool
08-06-2006, 12:39 PM
forget Red Bull...............sweet tea baby!! hard thing to find up here, whats with these people and unsweet????

Must be a ''Northern thing" I have a nephew that is welding on some new bridges in the DC area and he has the same complaints on sweet tea. Maybe the Mason- Dixon line has shifted a little farther South LOL

wayne

tthomass
08-06-2006, 03:33 PM
yeah, we spoke before, i'm from danville.........no prob gett'n sweat tea there

the curve is done just like the customer wanted it so whatever floats his boat

the pattern is the same pattern he had used when he built his front walk so he wanted it to match up, makes sense

tthomass
08-06-2006, 03:34 PM
put up some pics of the blue stone mrusk

kootoomootoo
08-06-2006, 10:36 PM
One of the best threads ever. Great pics.
The slivers....I would run the pavers perpendicular to the house.

mbella
08-06-2006, 10:48 PM
yeah, we spoke before, i'm from danville.........no prob gett'n sweat tea there
the curve is done just like the customer wanted it so whatever floats his boat

the pattern is the same pattern he had used when he built his front walk so he wanted it to match up, makes sense

WTF is that? That sounds like some kind of State Prison Cocktail.

mbella
08-06-2006, 10:55 PM
TThomass, thanks for posting the pics. On this site, you might not always get the responses you are looking for, but you get honest responses. Unlike, the sugar coated responses I've seen on most other sites.

Anyway, like Mrusk, I would suggest you utilize the overlay and cut in place method of cutting the perimeter pavers. Also, it looks like the grade on the outside of the walkway is high compared to the finished elevation of the walkway. Is that just an optical illusion or what?

As far as the Green Team, he is a joke and I would just laugh at what he says. I truly believe he is here for entertainment purposes and I view his posts as just that, entertainment. I do not view his posts as educational, or even potentially educational.

dtelawncare
08-06-2006, 11:23 PM
The only work like that I have done ws my own front side walk. It turned out nice except for one small dip. Everyone who has seen it loves it. With that being said, I think the job looks great. How did you tighten the pavers together. Sand, mortar, ??

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:48 PM
kootoomootoo..........good looking out, i'll prob change that.......now i feel dumb for doing that (i'll blame the heat haha)

come south mbella.......first you sweat then you drink sweet tea haha............typo

mbella, talking about the grade between the house and the walk? if so yes it is but only at the skinny area where the perennials are due to the house foundation being high for some reason + some utilities

overlay i normally do, it had been a year since i had laid pavers and just did it diff..........all together i took this job as a refresher

General Landscaping
08-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Every now-n-then some resturant will try that crap of not having sweet tea.

They always suggest to use the sugar on the table to make DIY sweet tea:hammerhead:
It's already cold; the sugar will sit on the bottom in a slurry:dizzy:

Then some places will try to pass off that fountain tea as a substitute for real brewed today right here tea. It's enough to make ya do the ol' choke and spray routine:laugh:

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:51 PM
dtelawncare..........pavers are set insand + border + edging......they are laid tight and then when finished the plate tamper is run over them to settle it all out and get things tighter

thanks for the responses everybody............critiquing is why i posted

tthomass
08-06-2006, 11:55 PM
general..........tell me about it! drives me crazy......."sugar on the table" DOES NOT WORK and it doesn't taste like sweet tea........unless i go to a BBQ place or Chic-fil-a........there is no real sweet tea, one thing i love about the south, plenty of REAL sweet tea

see fellas, its the simple things in life haha........much more simple than women

DoetschOutdoor
08-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Your work looks really good man. If you dont mind me asking what does a project like that run a homeowner?

TheGrassBandit
08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Looking good to me

Jamesgateslandscaping
08-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Looks really nice, but like every one else say, the curve just looks awkward. Another way to set a nice curve is to take a piece of PVC conduit and online where you would like the edge to be, mark it with a pencil and demo saw that baby (making an initial pass to mark it with the blade of course cause silly grapite washes off sooooo easily:hammerhead: :dizzy: ).
Threw and threw, it looks really nice and you are right, work smart not hard, that is my motto:usflag: ...
James

Harley-D
08-10-2006, 11:21 AM
dtelawncare..........pavers are set insand + border + edging......they are laid tight and then when finished the plate tamper is run over them to settle it all out and get things tighter

thanks for the responses everybody............critiquing is why i posted

Just sand as a base?:confused:
Maybe crush and run (57's) under that?

I wouldn't think sand was enough.

tthomass
08-11-2006, 11:28 PM
did you look at the pics???? there's a good 20 tons of base compacted in this job

cddva
08-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Great Job! I can't claim to have any expertise but other than the minor homeowner changes, it looks real good to me.
What brand/size mini-ex did you use? Did you use a breaker for the concrete demo? I assume you also used it for excavating the walkway? Is a trenching bucket used for this or a tooth bucket? Was the demo and excavation a one day job? Just trying to get a better feel for how the experts do this work. Thanks. BTW, after living in the N.VA area for awhile and now being in Central VA for several years, it's like night and day as far as the people and life style's. Point is, I can understand it being hard to find good sweet tea up there!

rb_in_va
08-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Your work looks really good man. If you dont mind me asking what does a project like that run a homeowner?

I was wondering this myself. I am considering redoing my driveway, and putting in a courtyard next to the driveway. I think it's too much work and my DIY skills are not up to that sort of project. Just a ballpark figure would work.

LB1234
08-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Outta curiosity, why not load the concrete up the same day the mini-x is there? Seems as if you threw into a pile only to pick it up another day. If you would have taken care of it the first day jobsite would be a little easier to navigate.

Judging from some pictures you had to climb over some serious piles or go around in a big circle to get to some areas. Again, just a question not trying to point a finger...

tthomass
08-16-2006, 12:19 AM
i had a skid steer to move the concrete and to grade..........the concrete pile was a good 150' behing the house from where my truck was and a mini-ex bucket.......lots of trips!! haha

once the excavation was complete we ran the plate tamper over the soil for ease of moving around since i had a skid steer to do as i please with it once finished.........we also just went down the walkway once it was at the point it could support traffic

rb_in_va........whats the size of your driveway? where in VA are you?

rb_in_va
08-16-2006, 01:00 PM
rb_in_va........whats the size of your driveway? where in VA are you?

tthomas,
I could park 6 cars in the driveway. I attached a pic of it (if you need a larger resolution, uncropped pic let me know). I am in Hampton. I want to put in a courtyard and new landscaping between the driveway and house.

handyandy
08-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Hey Thomass. Awesome work, really looks great. I myself am just starting a landscape gig in the Fredericksburg area. I worked for another landscaper about for about a year and then jumped off on my own. I'm looking into getting into some hardscape work as I know winters will be slow unless you find something to do. I'm a 20 year old too, with lots of energy, ready to work. I don't know exactly where you are located, but if you need a laborer, in exchange for some pay and experience, I'd be willing to help.