PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start GMC w/ 454

mojob
08-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Does anyone out there have experience with the GMC 454? I have a 1998 K3500 that's hard to start when warmed up. It cranks fine. It just takes about three tries before it fires. And for some reason it fires as soon as you let go of the key on the third try. Its got a new fuel pump and pressure regulator because of another problem I was having with it. Its done this since I got the truck about a year ago. Its got 81K miles and doesn't burn any oil so I think the engine is still in pretty good shape although it is a dog for such a big engine. Any ideas?

Mike33
08-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Does anyone out there have experience with the GMC 454? I have a 1998 K3500 that's hard to start when warmed up. It cranks fine. It just takes about three tries before it fires. And for some reason it fires as soon as you let go of the key on the third try. Its got a new fuel pump and pressure regulator because of another problem I was having with it. Its done this since I got the truck about a year ago. Its got 81K miles and doesn't burn any oil so I think the engine is still in pretty good shape although it is a dog for such a big engine. Any ideas?
I cant help you now but i used to be in the auto-body business and noticed that in the late 80's. Lots of GM's would start once you left go of the key, i never heard a reason for it though.
Mike

LindblomRJ
08-06-2006, 07:23 PM
I think it might have somthing to do with the fuel relay. Had this problem with a 91 years ago. If it is a 98 it is equiped with a OBD II. A autoparts store can hook up a reader and should be able to tell what the problem it.