PDA

View Full Version : First Retaining Walls

drsogr
08-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Here are my first retaining walls that I have done. They are both on the same house. I had done borders...but no real retaining walls to speak of. Remember these are my first...so be nice! The customers were overwhelmed with how well it turned out. I had explained to them that these would be my first, and gave them a slight price break because of that.

drsogr
08-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Here is the other wall with stairs.

drsogr
08-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I will be doing the plantings and installing the sod when the weather cools back down. They don't want me to plant in 100+ weather.

jazak
08-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Came out nice for the first time, LOT better then what I have seen. But there are some problems I will point out.

tthomass
08-06-2006, 06:59 PM
i'm impressed but i'm also still learning on block walls...........care to point out the problems?

jazak
08-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Here they are. With the red arrows they point out the slope. You should have leveled this out. They lime green- once you leveled this area out it looks like that there is a garage under the deck, no? If so then this should be concreted or paved. With the blue I see no walway, ext it may just be the angle the pic was taken at. I also see no drainage pipes. Ther are some more coming.

tthomass
08-06-2006, 07:01 PM
slopes, gotcha.........i was looking for something structural

jazak
08-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Here are the last. With the pink circle I hope the blocks have been glued or cemented if not they WILL fall. With the blue how the pic was taken it looks like there is only 1' between the bottom and top wall. Is this correct or is it just the pic? Other then that it looks good.

Mike33
08-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Here are the last. With the pink circle I hope the blocks have been glued or cemented if not they WILL fall. With the blue how the pic was taken it looks like there is only 1' between the bottom and top wall. Is this correct or is it just the pic? Other then that it looks good.
How did you do the arrows. Thanks,
Mike

jazak
08-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Saved the pic then edited it paint and drew the arrows. Since the ground wasn't leveled if it does get leveled and the wall block doesn't go that far down you WILL have to replace the wall.

Mike33
08-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Yes i think it looks good for the first time also. Also building steps with it took a lot of balls also on first time wall. I did notice between your terrace wall looks a little narrrow. The rule of thumb i go by is 60% of front wall height min. difference to place your 2nd or third wall. The reason is they are putting a sir charge on the front wall.
Mike

drsogr
08-06-2006, 08:00 PM
There is approx. 2' between the 2 walls. The area under the deck is the basement. There is not a garage there, it is a walk-out basement. I put the slope there due to the flat terrain that is back there. I wanted the water sloping away from the wall and not sitting there. You are right there should be a walkway up above. It is coming in later.

There is a lot of stuff that is hard to tell from that pic.

GreenMonster
08-06-2006, 08:16 PM
My immediate concern, as mentioned by Mike, is the top wall being so close to the bottom. When you build a top wall that close to another, you need to consider the additional weight and reinforce the lower wall, bury more block, etc. I likely wouldn't have had that engineered, but I would have built those walls with grid. First wall looks like it could use grid too.

Also, the stairs look a little funky... what is the rise on those? Looks too tall.

Nothing against you, but I don't like Anchor beveled (or any beveled for that matter).

That was a lot to bite off on your first effort. Hopefully you learned a lot and you can build off of it. Try to find some wall classes from NCMA or manufacturers. Walls can be tough, and a big liability. It pays to know how to do them right.

Mike33
08-06-2006, 08:16 PM
In counting your courses, i was wondering why you didnt buld the front wall higher and the 2nd lower still with the same total height.
Mike

DoetschOutdoor
08-07-2006, 04:00 PM
I think it looks good man! Definately way more than I would have the balls for on my first build

DVS Hardscaper
08-07-2006, 06:53 PM
steps look like the risers are well over 8-inches?

Step risers should never exceed 8-inches max.

Allso, check with the county building codes department. In my area, a fence of some sort would be required at the top.

It protects you. Maybe the owners dont care, but if they have a social gathering and great Aunt Marian falls - Aunt Marian will name you in the suit. And that liability follows as long as you are in business (if you're INC or LLC), and as long as you live if you're sole propiertership(sp).

Mike33
08-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes Dvs< Green monster,jzack, and my self are prof. at building these. What was pointed out was in your best interst and was very respectly to help you. I do give you credit for taking this on, but be very careful what you do if your not 100% sure. Most of the block manuf. are good on training also and your sales rep can steer you where to go for proper training. Correst, footings, block buring, proper backfill, geo-grid, setbacks in terraces, sir charges, each one as to be done proper for a quality wall. Good luck to you.

Mike
www.bobcatservice33.com

D Felix
08-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Think everyone else has pretty well covered the structural stuff, the only thing I see cosmetic is the overhang on the caps is a little too much for my taste. It's also good pratice to "face" the ends of your caps, rather than to leave them with the factory edge like you did...

Harley-D
08-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm sure it depends on weather conditions, freeze line, drainage etc.etc., but i've learned from several manufacturers that the distance between two tiered walls should be at least twice the height of the front wall.

Thoughts?

drsogr
08-08-2006, 04:26 PM
This was a good experience...but it has made me realize that I don't care for building retaining walls! This is best left to the pros! I will continue doing small walls. 18" or less....but I think I am going to hold off for awhile before I try anything big again...that was quite an expereince. Thanks for all of the insight guys. I respect the work you do.