PDA

View Full Version : help on buying a few things

josh1981
08-07-2006, 02:32 AM
Hey guys. New here. Nice site. I need to buy a new leaf blower and weedwacker, maybe a new chainsaw and walk behind lawn mower (depends if my stepdad takes them). I was thinking about all john deere stuff. Badically we need to leaf blower to blow off the driveway and around the house, weedwhacker to go along the driveway and around house, lawnmower to cut a few acres, and chainsaw to take small trees and brush down (some bigger trees as well). We live in a subdivision so no fields or anything. SO what are some good john deere models to look at? What are some other good brands to look at?

nmurph
08-07-2006, 12:48 PM
weedeater line trimmer
weedeater blower
mccullough chain saw
troy built or craftsman mower.
that equipment should work......

jazak
08-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Stihl &Redmax are my top choices. Iknow stihl makes homeowner equipment and it lasts long if you take care of it. For a mower look at Craftsman, JD, Toro, Honda.

lawnmaniac883
08-07-2006, 06:31 PM
I would visit your local stihl dealer for the trimmer and blower. Not as expensive as you think for homeowner models that actually last -- for the mower I would recommend honda or JD

josh1981
08-08-2006, 12:53 AM
sounds good so far. here are some pics of our property. The bigger trees in the picture are the biggest we would cut down, along with some smaller ones. Blow off the driveway and sidewalk, some leaves off the lawn in fall. Weedwhack around the house and along driveway and around a few trees. And cut the gras of course. Which size chainsaw, leaf blower, weedwhacker, lawn mower do you guys reccomend?

josh1981
08-08-2006, 01:10 AM
here are the pictures.

LarryF
08-08-2006, 09:44 AM
How big is your property? You mentioned among your needs a "lawnmower to cut a few acres" and you also said you wanted a walk-behind mower. If that's what you end up getting, I think you'll regret not having gone after a rider of some kind, preferably 48" or wider.

Jaeger
08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Stay away from the cheap brands at Home cheapo or Lowes. Not weedeater,
it is junk and will not last.

Redmax and stihl. Even for a homeowner occassional use. Will last a lifetime.
Troy-bilt use to be good way back in the days, now mass market junk. Made in china or taiwan some of it. Now there's quality!

Husqvarna, Redmax, Stihl or Shindaiwa come to mind for lasting excellent working power equipment.

Lawn mower: Toro Super Recycler w/ cast deck is the BEST.

Jaeger
08-08-2006, 11:23 AM
weedeater line trimmer
weedeater blower
mccullough chain saw
troy built or craftsman mower.
that equipment should work......
.... for about a week!

nmurph
08-08-2006, 12:27 PM
.... for about a week!

sarcasm my dear friend, sarcasm! just a troll to get a response. it's usually the newbies or know-it-alls that take the bait.
in response to the original post, any commercial grade equipment will serve the homeowner for a lifetime, with proper care. spending a little more will help to ensure that you have reliable equipment that is a pleasure to use. some on here are totally brand loyal, i have a penchant for stihl, others are opportunist and buy what is locally available or less expensive, mixing and matching brands. i would look for a dealer that you feel comfortable with and spend a little getting to know them. make several visits to the shop to see how you are treated.

stuffdeer
08-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Acually, If you have a few acres, I have heard the Cub 50" with 22hp from HD is fine on even ground. Its a heck of a deal at only 3k.

josh1981
08-08-2006, 04:42 PM
well I have done my neighbors back yard, our yard in 2 hours (weedwhacking, gras cutting, blowing off driveway). Our lawnmower we have now is a toro, craftsman weedwhacker and leaf blower. Also a johsered chainsaw. Why we need new equipment is because yes its falling apart (except the lawnmower and chainsaw) and my mother and stepfather are separating (bad marriage) so he will problly be taking all the yard equipment. The most we want to spend is 800-1K on yard equipment because of other money issues. Our whole property is only 3-4 acres (house on problly half acre) forst a few acres so the yard is 1.5-2 acres.

I didnt know craftsman was that bad?

Husqvarna, Redmax, Stihl or Shindaiwa come to mind for lasting excellent working power equipment- are these japanese brands?

KauffmanL&L
08-09-2006, 01:53 AM
I would consider a husqvarna 350 chainsaw it is one of the best multi-purpose saws i used(not knockin sthil but have put the husky through hell commerically and its been great saw!)i would look at jd for a mower (go to delarship not lowes) i would also look at shindawia and redmax for blower and trimmer. You will probably end up spending over a $1k but everything you own with care will outlast a cheaper product.

josh1981
08-09-2006, 02:23 AM
I would consider a husqvarna 350 chainsaw it is one of the best multi-purpose saws i used(not knockin sthil but have put the husky through hell commerically and its been great saw!)i would look at jd for a mower (go to delarship not lowes) i would also look at shindawia and redmax for blower and trimmer. You will probably end up spending over a $1k but everything you own with care will outlast a cheaper product.

cool thanks a lot :)