PDA

View Full Version : Brakes lights not working on truck or trailer

tsh1773
08-07-2006, 10:29 AM
I recently bought an open tandem trailer with brakes. I noticed my brake lights stopped working on the truck. I checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and all is good for a couple of hours. All other lights work with no problem. What could be blowing the brake light fuse after it works fine for a while? It currently has a 20 amp fuse. Should I go with a 30 amp? I am able to tell when I have no brake lights because the Tekonsha Prodigy no longer shows a display but the brakes on the trailer still work. This is on a 2001 Dodge Ram. All wiring on the trailer looks good. Any suggestions?

mcwlandscaping
08-07-2006, 11:11 AM
this happened to me, check over all of your trailers wiring for worn wire coverings that expose the wire. If this happens and it touches the frame at any point it will cause a short and blow the fuse. If you find worn wire and just the covering of the wire is worn, cover it with electrical tape and youll be good to go, this is exactly what happened to me. Even just a little bit can cause it to happen so check very carefully.

Mine was worn through near the trailer wire plug, from sometimes dragging on the ground.

stuffdeer
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Depening on how old the trailer is, I like to rewire my trailers every 2 years.

Keeps the wires nice and looking good!

tsh1773
08-07-2006, 11:41 AM
The trailer is 6 years old.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-07-2006, 11:49 AM
also, the bulbs are double filaments and I have seen one of the filaments break and fall across the other and do that also. Im with the other post and think you may have a chaffed wire in the harness. also dont foget to check the light plug also

wayne