PDA

View Full Version : 1st Retaining wall as a Contractor

Wilandscape
08-07-2006, 01:42 PM
My dilema is that I have done over 15000 sq feet of retaining walls as a foreman and for side jobs, mostly time and materials. Now I have a 1000 square foot versalok wall (125' x 8' high), fairly simple design. The price is where I am getting caught up. With grading issues, the house is basically in a ravine, aprox 50 foot slope on a 45 degree angle. I will put a swale in the middle and drain it to the north. I am about to bid the job at $48,000. This will be by far the most I have ever bid a job and am nervous because still to me that is a lot of money. Is this an outrageous amount? To me I believe I will still be under many other company's.Keep in mind I have to rent a skid. Any imput I would apreciate. I have heard bidding by square foot but this wouldn't take into acount the re-grading and drainage issues.

Mike33
08-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I would get around 18-20k to build in the ideal site. But that still leaves 28k for grading souds like a lot of lee way to play with. But not seeing your site makes a hell of a difference. I think if you can get it for that moey you will be in graat shape. You can grade for 3 weeks and still make money.
Mike

Wilandscape
08-07-2006, 10:28 PM
That is what I was looking for - it seems I am way high.The problem was early in the year I was doing jobs for cost of materials plus 15 percent and labor for myself and 1 employee. Seems I forgot to add money to put into the business.

Is it fair to come to a total price and then at 10 - 30 percent for the company?

Because after totalling the supply,labor and rentals I came to like 37,000.
I assume this lady to add on a lot and stand behind me when I walk , so I accounted for that. then I added on 15-20 percent for profit margin?

Already she called and wants to go from 1000 to 1250 square feet.

Mike33
08-07-2006, 10:37 PM
I use ab and feel i build a good wall. I dont like to price sq. ' but for quick reference 18-20 plus excavation works for me and everything is based on location. You might get a little more if fill is needed or have to haul away, but in most cases even with grading issues 5 k should be plenty. Say you worked a d3 for 3 days @ 65.00 hour ? I would re calculate i install for 14.00 per block , 8-10 for caps depending on cuts, plus gravel allow for extra, and grid. Give it extra 10% and excavation i will make good money off of that wall.
Mike
www.bobcatservice33.com

Wilandscape
08-07-2006, 11:16 PM
I looked on your website and I like the look of your walls, I have always used versa-lok due to the companies I have worked for and it just becomes habit, I suppose.
It is hard to price out jobs, much harder than doing them, it gives me a headache. I just found this site 2 days ago and will no doubt throw some pics up here, but I apreciate your advice and knowledge.
In the end I will no doubt bring my price down a little because of what you said. I will be proposing this tomarrow so I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again--