PDA

View Full Version : Help with a tree/shrub farm

adavenp4
08-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey,

I am the owner of Tri-Scapes Landscaping and I am going to start a tree farm on a few acres of farmland that I own. I was going to see if anyone had any help in this field and could help me out in it. I was wondering if Irrigation is needed and so on. I am looking right now to start with small landscape tree like red buds, dogwoods, maples, boxwoods, Thuja Giants, and some others. I am out of East TN and could use any help possible.

Thanks

Andrew

treedoc1
08-07-2006, 06:05 PM
West to McMinville, nursery capital of your state. All your questions will be answered.

jd boy
08-10-2006, 09:54 AM
I am in the process of doing the same. I think pot in pot is the way to go

cancan
08-13-2006, 10:00 PM
every method of nursery production has its in's and out's....pot in pot is no different....

research is your best tool....do it until your blue in the face. then take a break and do some more!

the new root control products out now are pretty darn good...rootmaker being the original. i grow in the ground and dig B&B...another area overlooked is logistics and the basic buisness plan....nursery buisness isnt an easy one by any means...a good book to help clear up any questions about the buisness end is "so you want to start a nursery" lots of often overlooked info in there.....different university websites can offer alot of info on plant culture info ( oregon, ncu , .....)

im in an experimentation mode right now...i been going for 6 years now and im barely started, and definatly not done researching...

one of the biggest things to remeber is keep an open mind...its easy to become biased about plants and culture and not see yourself going in an unproductive direction...... i could type for days so i'll leave it here.

Good luck!

WINTER 3
09-02-2006, 10:55 PM
I have also had thoughts along those same lines. I get a catalog from the American Nurseryman. It has books, videos and other stuff in it. I bought a book on running a nursery. I think a book like that will help you. I have since reading the book decided to focus on what I do best, and continue to by my plant stock.

Bristol has some real nice landscaping & country side. I go to the nascar races every spring & fall. We come in the back way, off exit 17. Two lane road with big houses.

let me know if I can help
Dave

1PRO
10-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I have also had thoughts along those same lines. I get a catalog from the American Nurseryman. It has books, videos and other stuff in it. I bought a book on running a nursery. I think a book like that will help you. I have since reading the book decided to focus on what I do best, and continue to by my plant stock.

Bristol has some real nice landscaping & country side. I go to the nascar races every spring & fall. We come in the back way, off exit 17. Two lane road with big houses.

let me know if I can help
Dave

I would like to know any nurserys that you buy from phone numbers or web sites i need a good grower i started a garden center and most supplers around me their prices are too high for resale..also i'm growing some small plant stock at my A-1 zoned property.

treedoc1
10-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Go to the Mid Atlantic Nurseryman's trade show in January in Baltimore. It is one of the largest and busiest shows of the year.
The entire convention center is filled with dozens of growers that deliver to the area you are in. Everyone will be ready to sell to you and discuss their terms and minimums.

JB1
10-17-2006, 07:32 PM
I would like to know any nurserys that you buy from phone numbers or web sites i need a good grower i started a garden center and most supplers around me their prices are too high for resale..also i'm growing some small plant stock at my A-1 zoned property.

try WWW.TNNURSERY.com you can find about anything.

Lawnworks
10-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Is anybody doing field grown trees? If so, what is the general process? When buying land, is a necessity to have a pond or creek? or can a well support the irrigation?

huh
10-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Is anybody doing field grown trees? If so, what is the general process? When buying land, is a necessity to have a pond or creek? or can a well support the irrigation?

ponds can be good, but they have issues especially with clogged emitters on drip....even with filters pond water breeds scum which can clog things

you need to know the requirements of your nursery and the SUSTAINABLE gallons per hour of a well to know that answer

with a tree farm on 10' rows and 4' spacing on the trees you would have 1089 emitters with 1 per tree

43,560 sqft/acre / 10' row spacing / 4' between trees = 1089 trees per acre

say your drip gives .25 gallons per hour so you need a well to flow AT LEAST 272.25 GPH to come close to meeting the requirements of your drip for 1 acre

then you need to figure how long each day you will need to run it......if even needed daily......then look at other wells in the area and talk to drillers and see if your water table can support those requirements on a daily basis......you can sink a 12" well and put a huge pump in it....but if you pump it dry in a day what do you have.....nothing!

as for a pond you also need to know if it will last through the dry times and how often it is replenished......ponds can be good if you have several small wells that flow low but steady.....you can run them into the pond 24X7 then pull hard from the pond as needed with a surface pump to water the crop

to know how a pond will replinish from surface run off you need to know the area (in acres or sqft) that will run into the pond (its drainage basin) then know a bit about the soil type and the cover crop and use that with avg. annual rain to figure out runoff.....your soil conservation officer can help with that and sometimes they will even help with planning and cost for an engineered pond....provided is can be shown to decrease runoff and it is built to their specs

and you need to be sure the pond will be full during dry times as well as wet....after all it is dry times you need to pull from it

also with a creek in most states you would need a permit and to establish water rights to pull from a flowing body of water
in some states you can not even capture the runoff from your own land (Colorado) as it has already been claimed by others....in Texas you can....but you can not pull from a lake or a stream that leaves your property with out water rights....you can how ever build a pond to catch runoff and use it if the runoff is caught before the actual head of the waterway.....easier to figure out than it sounds....in most parts of Texas you can still sink a well and pump to your hearts content.....in most other states it is more requlated than that

:)

Lawnworks
10-27-2006, 11:23 PM
I am also wondering what the taxes will be like for land that is zoned for agricultural use.

How profitable is a tree farm?

A tree farm will be my dream for my life realized... I am one of those weird people that drives by tree farms just for the pleasure of it. I think they are beautiful... seeing rows of tightly pruned magnolias, nellies, and oak trees w/ perfect main leaders. I wouldn't mind having a small farm, and just growing them for pleasure and for my own use. It might be too much of an investment though.

huh
10-27-2006, 11:44 PM
in Texas ag land is taxed at 10% of regular rate....I am not sure a tree far or a nursery qualifies, but there are ways around that like a "free range" chicken and egg farm that just happens to have some crazy yard birds wondering around a bunch of trees

as for profits.....it can be from GREAT! to NONE!!

a friend who recently sold a tree farm that was in the way of "progress" told me that forget the tree business what it really is is the logistics business.....coordinating the digging and the transport of the trees......where they remain in NICE condition is the hardest and most expensive part

you don't just toss around 4" oaks with a rootball....and going down the road can wipe them out from desication and loss of leaves if not wrapped properly and properly watered

in East Texas where it rains often you have weed control issues.....where I am you need to water more but weed control is way easier

what to grow is a toss up....."in" trees come and go......the always wanted trees have many more growers.....but one thing that can never be beat in ANY nursery/horticulture operation is QUALITY.....QUALITY WILL ALWAYS SELL....and for a premium

you can't give trash away!

lawnrich
10-30-2006, 11:56 PM
have u read the book so u want to start a nursery by tony avent i a must read MUST READ before u even think about going any further. do what u do best and make sure u get payed more then the other guy

Lawnworks
11-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Would that be helpful for field grown trees/shrubs?

PROFESSORRAIN
11-04-2006, 10:28 PM
There is a company that can take care of scum,algae pods and all the water has natural enzymes and actually helps w/ growth of plants and trees.down here in midwest GA growers some are above ground w/maxijet sprays,larger grower pots inground one just got done with 5 acres of irrigation on the 250 acre farm thats 175 of it run of lakes & well.