PDA

View Full Version : mini excavator equals

wmtom
08-08-2006, 09:12 PM
I am looking at getting a mini excavator. I have been looking at the John Deere 50D, Kubota 161-3, and was wondering what the cat equivalent was is it the 304 or the 305.

Thanks
Mike Thomas

Tigerotor77W
08-08-2006, 09:39 PM
The Cat equivalent is the 304C CR (but the 305CR if you're looking at the used market). I'm not exactly sure why the nomenclature is a bit skewed, but the 304C and 305C CRs are absolutely awesome digging machines.

thepawnshop
08-08-2006, 10:03 PM
but the 304C and 305C CRs are absolutely awesome digging machines.

As is the JD50D...just took delivery of one last week, so I am a bit biased.

minimax
08-08-2006, 11:25 PM
GO with the deere and you won't look back!!

Gravel Rat
08-08-2006, 11:51 PM
I would also say go with Deere or Hitachi the 161 is good too but it does have its little quirks.

ksss
08-09-2006, 12:11 AM
The Takeuchi TB53 or the newest version TB153 is also a very fine machine. I also had very good luck with IHI excavators.

Scag48
08-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Buy Deere, it's cheaper.

minimax
08-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Scag saying buy DEERE??????????????????

jazak
08-09-2006, 11:16 AM
I like the 305s. Used one to put in a retaining wall and loved it. Will probobly be the first excavator I will get.

Scag48
08-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Scag saying buy DEERE??????????????????

Well, unless you're favored to Cat or something else, no reason to not buy Deere. Out here, Deere isn't too much less than Cat, so you can afford to buy Cat paint becuase it's not that much more and the Deere service out here is terrible.

qps
08-09-2006, 01:58 PM
As is the JD50D...just took delivery of one last week, so I am a bit biased.

Ugh...deere is to much money...buy the C304CR...got one on order...:waving: ...the 153 is a digging son of a gun, and the new a/c cab would be sweet:laugh:

nac
08-09-2006, 06:47 PM
ksss how do you like your TB53 does it have A/C? I have a new Daewoo 55+ right now on a demo very nice machine laid out like a full size X and has very good A/C but is not a zero tail it is conventional and I am not found of it for that one reason. I might be in the market for a nother mini X if i get this job in NYC have to drill rock for 12' deep sewer main project my PC-45 will be busy on that job. I am considering a PC-50 but I do like the TB53

qps
08-09-2006, 08:30 PM
ksss how do you like your TB53 does it have A/C? I have a new Daewoo 55+ right now on a demo very nice machine laid out like a full size X and has very good A/C but is not a zero tail it is conventional and I am not found of it for that one reason. I might be in the market for a nother mini X if i get this job in NYC have to drill rock for 12' deep sewer main project my PC-45 will be busy on that job. I am considering a PC-50 but I do like the TB53

Allow me...he loves it but its an open rops machine, the new model has a/c.:)

wmtom
08-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the info. Now am I looking at the right size machine. I run a JD CT322 and now finding more and more jobs where a mini would have been great to have. I will be using it for Demos of small houses, tree and stump removal, digging pools, digging up driveways, etc... But I want to be able to pull it with my F350. I have read some of the post and one of the consistent things is "I wish I would have went bigger". Oh yea I want it to be easy on lawns so rubber tracks.

Thanks
Mike Thomas

Gravel Rat
08-09-2006, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't let the size of truck you have limit the size of machine you buy if you go too small then you won't make the money you want. You might have to look at buying a medium duty to carry the excavator. A rolloff truck works good in combination with a mini because you can carry the machine and haul dirt with the truck after you drop the machine off of course.

thepawnshop
08-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Ugh...deere is to much money...buy the C304CR...got one on order...:waving: ...

Depends on where you are in the US...I was quoted about 10k more for the same machine that QPS ordered, so I stuck with Deere, which is simply a rebranded Hitachi, simply because the service is top notch with it.

They all perform well, honestly. Go with what you can afford, but PLEASE keep service in mind when pricing.

The cheapest machine is NOT always the best deal!

start2finish
08-09-2006, 09:45 PM
we bought a kx161-3s a couple of months ago, 140 hrs later, we are still finding things to do with the machine. we love it. strong, quiet, smooth and fairly priced. 50k will fix you up with a couple of quick attaches and a hyd. thumb.

ksss
08-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Actually qps nailed it. I do love that machine. The side to side articulation on the front boom has become priceless. I don't think that I could switch back to a swing boom if I wanted to. To appreciate how awesome it is you have to run it. The new 153 addressed several issues. More track power and a more roomy cab. I am anxious to run a 153 to compare with the 53 series. They are certainly worth a demo. As good as they are they were not quiet good enough to get qps to switch from CAT. However, I attribute that to a character flaw on Tim's part and not a inferiority issue of the TK excavator.:drinkup:

Gravel Rat
08-09-2006, 11:21 PM
One thing about Deere they have dealers all over for us in B.C. Takuechi doesn't have any dealers here. One of the utility contractors has one here I looked over their 6500lb machine I forget the model number.

One thing about Cat they jack the price up then offer their 0% financing to get people to buy them.

Like they say Nothing runs better than a Deere :D

qps
08-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Actually qps nailed it. I do love that machine. The side to side articulation on the front boom has become priceless. I don't think that I could switch back to a swing boom if I wanted to. To appreciate how awesome it is you have to run it. The new 153 addressed several issues. More track power and a more roomy cab. I am anxious to run a 153 to compare with the 53 series. They are certainly worth a demo. As good as they are they were not quiet good enough to get qps to switch from CAT. However, I attribute that to a character flaw on Tim's part and not a inferiority issue of the TK excavator.:drinkup:

I would have to agree:laugh:

qps
08-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Depends on where you are in the US...I was quoted about 10k more for the same machine that QPS ordered, so I stuck with Deere, which is simply a rebranded Hitachi, simply because the service is top notch with it.

They all perform well, honestly. Go with what you can afford, but PLEASE keep service in mind when pricing.

The cheapest machine is NOT always the best deal!

I was directing that at you Doug, just rubbing it in alittle:laugh:

qps
08-10-2006, 07:13 AM
I would have to agree:laugh:

To be honest, I really liked the performance of the 53, however I didn't bring enough vasaline with me when I got the price from my case dealer, I just couldn't get over that. the side to side boom is sweet and it digs great, I tried a new 304 beside the 53 and the 304's performance was almost identical and the new cab design sealed the deal. but the TB53 would be my second choice or first with some cab changes...and mabe a different dealer:dizzy:

thepawnshop
08-10-2006, 08:14 PM
I was directing that at you Doug, just rubbing it in alittle:laugh:

I still can't beleive the same friggen machine is over 8k more here than up there....what a crock.

At least I've got my machine already...sure wish it had really cool boom and auxiliary controls on the stick and an angle blade...

ksss
08-13-2006, 09:39 PM
He has a point qps, apparently a Deere in the yard is worth more than a CAT on a freighter lost, adrift in the Pacific Rim somewhere (read in the bush).

I thought the aux. piping was standard on Deere/Hitachi mini ex's.

Also Pawnshop you could have had a cool boom and aux. piping standard. It would be red and grey and say Takeuchi TB153 on the side. It also would have more breakout, greater dig depth, higher truck loading ability and more lift capacity. :clapping:

qps
08-13-2006, 09:46 PM
He has a point qps, apparently a Deere in the yard is worth more than a CAT on a freighter lost, adrift in the Pacific Rim somewhere (read in the bush).

I thought the aux. piping was standard on Deere/Hitachi mini ex's.

Also Pawnshop you could have had a cool boom and aux. piping standard. It would be red and grey and say Takeuchi TB153 on the side. It also would have more breakout, greater dig depth, higher truck loading ability and more lift capacity. :clapping:

OUCH....You know how to hurt a guy..:cry: I did use there 267B for about 3 hrs this weekend...the a/c was sweet....:cool2: