PDA

View Full Version : Who says I need a new vacuum cleaner? (this is pleasurable to the eyes)

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:13 PM
I have been wanting to show you guys my lawn equipment for the past 29 years or so, and I finally borrowed my dad's digital camera. I am very proud of my equipment, and I think their may be some comments pertaining to the way I store my ZTR on my trailer. The truck handles it well except for the lack of power when accelerating, and it was the most efficient way to store everything on the trailer. The mower's engine is also at the rear, so I feel safe with this setup. I'm sure many of you have similar setups anyway.

I will be posting pictures of my truck and some lawn maintenance jobs in the near future also.

Well, let me know what you all think. I named the post after StuffDeer's post, "And who says I need a new truck". Mine is about a vacuum cleaner though, obviously more important.

ENJOY!

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Toro SR4 Super Recycler #1

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Toro SR4 Super Recycler #2

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Hustler Mini Z 23HP/52" #1

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Hustler Mini Z 23HP/52" #2

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Hustler Mini Z 23HP/52" #3

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Shindaiwa T231 Trimmer & LE261 Edger #1

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Shindaiwa T231 Trimmer & LE261 Edger #2

nherweck
08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
wow, looks nice! Everything is all nice and shiny; I wish my equipment still had that quality! hah

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Shindaiwa T231 Trimmer & LE261 Edger #3

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Shindaiwa EB630RT Backpack Blower #1

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:29 PM
6' X 12' Utility Trailer w/ 2' Sidewalls #1

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:30 PM
6' X 12' Utility Trailer w/ 2' Sidewalls #2

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:31 PM
6' X 12' Utility Trailer w/ 2' Sidewalls #3

mx495
08-09-2006, 10:35 PM
What's wrong with the way the ztr is on? Tongue weight is better than a swaying trailer on the highway.

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:41 PM
wow, looks nice! Everything is all nice and shiny; I wish my equipment still had that quality! hah
Thanks for the compliment. The truck is a little underpowered, but I think I'm going to wait on getting a newer one. I wanted a 1 ton dump, but the insurance would kill me because I would have to get a commercial policy and be off of my dad's policy. I would have to do a TON :laugh: more work to make it worth it and I would prefer to wait until the following year because of school and the fact that I will be able to save much more just doing maintenance, fert, and trimming shrubs with paid for equipment.

I should be able to pay of the mower loan next month and then all of my equipment will be paid off. I will then owe about $5000.00 on the truck. and that will be it. I'll start saving for next year's startup costs and hopefully be able to build my bankroll with minimal expenses. I can't wait for next year, I think. It depends on world events I guess.

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Almost forgot...

Uranus
08-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Look good. Maybe a little to clean. The sun almost blinded me reflecting off the hustler. What do you use more the rider to the 21. I would get sick of loading and unloading the 21. will it fit in the front of trailer sideways for easy access to rider? but your weight might be shifted to much to the rear. I would give it a try unless u use the 21 all the time.

Eddie B
08-09-2006, 10:56 PM
What's wrong with the way the ztr is on? Tongue weight is better than a swaying trailer on the highway.

The rear of the truck would probably sag quite a bit with the weight of the ZTR.

I hope you never get into an emergency situation where you have to stop really fast. Its an accident waiting to happen with that small truck.

mx495
08-09-2006, 11:01 PM
The rear of the truck would probably sag quite a bit with the weight of the ZTR.

I hope you never get into an emergency situation where you have to stop really fast. Its an accident waiting to happen with that small truck.

No way. No problem. That z doesn't weigh that much. It's only a single axle trailer and not a lot of extras on it. Just don't drive like a maniac and it would be fine.

Howie's Lawn Care
08-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Look good. Maybe a little to clean. The sun almost blinded me reflecting off the hustler. What do you use more the rider to the 21. I would get sick of loading and unloading the 21. will it fit in the front of trailer sideways for easy access to rider? but your weight might be shifted to much to the rear. I would give it a try unless u use the 21 all the time.
I mow 16 condos where I use the 21" around the perimiter and then use the rider. I have on lawn where I mow a very small fenced in area first along with the island between the street and sidewalk. I also have three other lawns where I use the 21" do to fenced in areas. I do 27 properties total including the 16 condos. I use the push mower at 20 of them, but it is minimal on the condos and the one with the small fenced in area.

Last night, I played with some numbers and if I keep 22 of my lawns with a minimal increase in price on 3 of them, I would gross $468 working 8.6HRS inlcuding drive time (not loading and unloading equipment before starting the day). That would be $54 per hour, so I may try to do that, and be able to bid higher prices with confidence knowing I have enough work if I don't get the job. I based this off of 30 cuts in the season, all being weekly. I think I'd be working 256 hours for $14K. Basically, I want to add more lawns, maintain a high hourly rate, and I should be able to do this because I won't have any problem bidding higher prices when I already have enough work. I've been pricing things so much better since I became a member of this site. I can then fill my schedule with fert treatments, trimming bushes, playing dice in the allies, and other small stuff. I know my per yard rate is low, but my hourly rate is accurate.

Idealtim
08-09-2006, 11:16 PM
That truck is great for your equipment load, I know, I've drove one. Although the setup you have right now works, a smaller trailer would still be sufficient and wouldn't strain the truck.

ALarsh
08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Looks good. The only thing I would do if I were you is put the push mowers in front and balance the Z on the trailer axle. It will tow better that way with a smaller truck. Try it out sometime and see how you like it.

FIRESCOOBY
08-10-2006, 12:43 AM
I echo what has been said about putting the 21" on the front. I've got a similar setup myself. I wish I had gotten more than the 19hp on my Mini-Z. Actually wish I had gotten the 25hp SuperZ. I put my 21" Toro in front of trailer crossways. I've only got a 5X10 trailer and pull it with a V6 Tacoma. It pulls much better with the Z over the trailer axle.

TheLawnBarber
08-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Nice setup.

MarcSmith
08-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Keep all of those pics in a notebook in the truck with the Serial numbers of each pice of equipment so if something should grow legs you have the info and a picture to give to the police.... And make sure to etch a unique asset number into each peice of equiment.

TheLawnBarber
08-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Will the plate thats holding down your 21" mower fit on my Honda commmercial mower with 9" wheels? It looks like in the photo it's ajustable.

Brendan Smith
08-10-2006, 09:34 AM
nice rig howie. what did you give for the hustler, if i may ask?

Howie's Lawn Care
08-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Will the plate thats holding down your 21" mower fit on my Honda commmercial mower with 9" wheels? It looks like in the photo it's ajustable.
Yes, it would because it's adjustable. I think the picture in the Jungle Jim's catalog shows it with a Honda also. I'm sure it would fit though. Their $29.99 and it's a Jungle Jim's Small Jungle Boot (http://www.junglejimsap.com/jungleboot.html).

Howie's Lawn Care
08-10-2006, 09:59 AM
nice rig howie. what did you give for the hustler, if i may ask?
It was $6099.00 + Mulch Kit $94.00 + Tax + Jungle Jim's Racks and that's all on the loan. I started off this year with $2700.00 and quickly went through it after buying the trailer, 21", trimmer, and various other stuff, so I wasn't able to put any money down. Things worked out pretty well though.

It is a 2004, but it was still new (4.7HRs) when I bought it. It has the full two year warranty and everything. Another dealer went out of business and my dealer got some mowers from him. I have 82HRS on it now.

DoetschOutdoor
08-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Nice setup, I really like the huster ztr. And dont worry about people saying that a small truck like a ranger will not pull that little trailer with one mower on it. That truck will pull that trailer absolutely fine and with ABS, you will have plenty of stopping power. I had a 92 ranger only with the 3.0L and it didnt have the ABS that yours did and it pulled a trailer similiar to that perfectly fine for 2 years

grass_cuttin_fool
08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I use a 12 foot trailer with a tiger cub (scag) and Ive found that if I put the mower wheels right over the trailer axle it handles great. Nice set up and I pulled my 12 foot trailer for 8 years with a GMC s-15. I like the way the engine sits sideways on the hustler to make changing oil nice and cleaner

wayne

South Florida Lawns
08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Sweet lil setup there.

wow 84hrs, that thing isn't even broken in.

Looks very clean.

Boy I'll tell ya rangers dont take much to squat the suspension, I was loading bags of mulch in one the other day and after 10 bags it was resting in the overloads.

I was originally looking at a Ranger but spent $4000 more and bought a new Silverado work truck, instead.

ChadsLawn
08-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Nice pictures, but where is the vacume cleaner? Thats what the topic is about right?:rolleyes: :dancing: :clapping: :walking: :laugh:

Howie's Lawn Care
08-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Nice pictures, but where is the vacume cleaner? Thats what the topic is about right?:rolleyes: :dancing: :clapping: :walking: :laugh:
It's there, Post #17.

ChadsLawn
08-10-2006, 06:00 PM
ahhhh ok. I remember seeing that, but thought it was on another forum. I didnt go back through the pictures before I asked.

Tharrell
08-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Your blower mate looks a little different than mine. I don't have that peice on the end to hold the tube. Did yours come that way, or did you add it? Could you post a pic of it without the blower? Thanks, Tony

Howie's Lawn Care
08-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Your blower mate looks a little different than mine. I don't have that peice on the end to hold the tube. Did yours come that way, or did you add it? Could you post a pic of it without the blower? Thanks, Tony
It came like that. I'll post a pic, but I'll have to wait until I get ahold of the camera again. I'll probably be able to post it Monday.

Tharrell
08-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Great, I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics. I went on the JJ website and didn't see the Blowermate? I wonder of they discontinued it?

Howie's Lawn Care
08-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Great, I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics. I went on the JJ website and didn't see the Blowermate? I wonder of they discontinued it?
Sorry, but I won't be posting the pics yet. My mom gave the camera back to my dad, so I need to get it back. I just wanted to let you know, so you wouldn't be upset with me not following through with what I said I would do. I've been pretty busy. I've worked right at 40 hrs in the past 4 days at my other job. I'll be mowing tomorrow, mowing wednesday, mowing thursday morning/working at other job 11:30-finish, and working other job on Friday 6:00 AM - atleast 4:00 PM. I'll then be working Saturday and Sunday 5:00 AM - atleast 4:00PM, but wait...I'll also be working Monday 6:00AM-4:00PM. After that, it should be back to just weekends. I signed up for a bunch of extra days since its summer and it is taking a toll on me with my poor sleeping habits and mowing obligations. I'll post it eventually.