PDA

View Full Version : armadilla

guest543
08-10-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm having trouble with an armadilla damaging my lawn every evening. I've already popped him twice with a pellet gun, but it's obvious that a pellet gun doesn't do damage to an armadilla. Is there something I can put down on the lawn to make him go somewhere else to find his grub? Or will I be forced to pull out the 12 gauge shotgun?

nmurph
08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
i'm not sure what type of pellet gun you have. i have a .22 gammo with a muzzle velocity of about 1000 fps. a head shot with that gun is sufficient. on the other hand, i shot one two weeks ago at my parents with a 12 gauge from about 5 yds. it took half of his head off, and he flopped around for 3 minutes. he was popping up waist high off of the ground (i swear this is true) and i am 6'4". if you can find you a 5-6 ft stick that is an 1.5-2in in diameter that will do the trick. just whack them across the shell as hard as you can. bust the shell and they will eventually die from infection and blood loss. they are not too hard to slip up on as long as you do it slowly. they don't see very well. but yes, a 12 gauge is very effective.
btw, they are looking for grubs and worms. they are non-native and will ruin a good yard. they are like wild pigs. they will root up and ruin a good yard in a few weeks. we use to have lots of skunks around here, but the armadillos have out-competed them to the point that it is a rarity to see a skunk. kill every armadillo you see!!!!!!! i hate the little ba@tards. they do have very cute young, though. i saw one that was about 4" long on the road and i had to stop a look. i couldn't bring myself to harm him.
i'm sorry if this is to gory for some of you, but unless you have them ripping up you carefully cared for yard, it is hard to understand what a nuisance they are.

MarcSmith
08-10-2006, 12:32 PM
no need to kill him...people don't kill you for eating a cow. He's doing what he does....Just get rid of your grubs....

Get a havahart live trap laod it with some good tbale scraps and then take him out of town and let him go....

nmurph
08-10-2006, 12:47 PM
take 'em out. re-locating them only moves the problem to someone elses yard and allows them to spread. they are an invasive, non-native species that is leading to the loss of native species. i'm not sure how to rid yourself of grubs w/o killing the earthworms, which are beneficial. i do not think/did not know that armadillos would eat table scraps. i thought they were insectivores, not scavengers.
just so you don't get the wrong idea about me, i am the first to relocate a snake and i don't kill a spider most of the time. black widows are an exception. i will even let rattlesnakes go, unless they are right at my doorstep. when i tell people that around here, where the local paper publishes pictures of the big'uns that are killed, they look at me like i am from mars.
btw, we have another non-native here, they are called fire ants. is there a Hav-a-Heart for them, or is it ok to use poison?

MarcSmith
08-10-2006, 01:28 PM
I worked for the largest theme park in Orlando and we had to relocate the dillo's out of the parks all the time.... fruits work good, usually we would end up at one of the resturaunts with a 5 gallon bucket and a shovel and heap table scraps into the bucket and we'd then go to town....

If you kill the dillo, chances are another one will come back to replace it....It like adding air to a tire that has a leak...if you don't fix the leak you will continually have to add air.

fix the grub problem which in turn will help your lawn out, and it will solve your dillo issues...

BTW Americasn are to blame for the dillo explosion. dillows had been kept at bay bythe rio grand, but once we got here and pushed west and took away indian hunting grounds, and stopped the regular prarie fires the dillo had no other predator per say...

Nuke the ants till they glow.....:) but again with good hort practices the ant nusiance can be minimized.

General Landscaping
08-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Catch 'em by the tail and save 'em up for a relocate trip to the island of Palm Beach:clapping:

guest543
08-10-2006, 09:36 PM
i'm not sure what type of pellet gun you have. "he was popping up waist high off of the ground (i swear this is true)"

The pellet gun I have is an old one. A Benjamin .22 that I got as a child about 30 years ago. Could be the reason I'm not killing him with my shots. But I did get him to do one of those "popping up" tricks. When I popped him, he popped straight up about 4 feet, then he hit the ground running. This is not the first time I deal with one of these vormits, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Every year or so we have visits from racoons, skunks, armadillos, or possums. Snakes have been a regualar nusaince in my yard since I've been here (15 years); but the pellet gun takes care of them. I don't mean to sound brutal to animals; and actually, I don't mess with them unless they create a problem, like this armadillo. I welcome the racoons, I think they are beautiful animals. As for the snakes, I don't take chances with them because I have children that play in the yard. It's just the only way I know how to keep the kids safe.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for the replies. This site has some great, down to earth people.

nmurph
08-11-2006, 08:51 AM
i had a benjamin pellet gun about the same time. i was nice, but all of the pumping.........they still make that same gun. it has a muzzle velocity of about 650 fps. the gun i have now is a break-barrel. you **** it by pulling the muzzle down and then load it at the breech. it has nearly the same velocity as a .22 short, though not quiet the same energy.
as for all of this relocating, when you move one out another will just come in and take its place. it's like putting air in leaking tire w/o fixing the hole. when i kill one i know that i have removed at least one individual from the breeding population.

steve45
08-11-2006, 01:39 PM
I finally saw a LIVE armadillo last week. After 30 years in Texas, I don't think I've ever seen a live one.

I thought you were supposed to run over them with your truck.

Brendan Smith
08-11-2006, 01:40 PM
pretend you are canadian and bash him like a seal:laugh:

Randy J
08-11-2006, 02:24 PM
fix the grub problem which in turn will help your lawn out, and it will solve your dillo issues...

There's your answer. Kill him or relocate him, more will come as long as you're providing them a meal. Get rid of the meal (grubs) and they will go bother someone else.

General Landscaping
08-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Why did the chicken cross the road?

To prove to the armadillo that it could be done:waving:

lawnmaniac883
08-11-2006, 10:40 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good one ...

Relocate him or get rid of the grubs. You can search the pesticide applicator forum for information and product reviews of grub control products. I have seen it discussed there before so no need to post a new question.