PDA

View Full Version : Drainage question

O'Dell Equipment Rental
08-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I am looking at buying a piece of property to move my business to. It has a large ditch down one side. Under the frontage road is a 6 foot wide by 4 foot high sqaure drain. Fill dirt is not a problem, but I have no idea how much the pipe sections will be. I am thinking at least a 60 inch pipe, I don't know what the corp of engineers would require ethier ( concrete, plastic, metal). I would appreciate any comments on approx price of the pipes. The whole distance is about 150 feet, but I don't need all the space right now, so I may do about a 3rd at a time over a couple of years.

Dirty Water
08-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Is there constant water in this ditch? You won't need a 60 inch pipe thats for sure.

8" (Around $1.50 a foot here) gasketed Sewer/Drain line would do fine, and have the capacity to move more GPM than you would ever need.

Alternatively, if the ditch only moves a small amount of water, you could forgo the pipe, line the ditch with fabric and backfill with drain stone.

Scag48
08-11-2006, 12:26 AM
At the absolute most, you could put 12" CMP culvert in. I can't remember how much it is per foot, but we just bought (2) 20 foot sections and a band to connect them and it was $650, not cheap but on the high end of requirements I wouldn't think you'd need more than that. But, you could always get like 8" sewer line for way less money, easier to install, and it would handle it just fine as well.

Construct'O
08-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Would be nice to have some pics,so we could see where you plan to put the pipe??? If they have a 6' x4' pipe you have a a lot drainage coming down that ditch!

Gravel Rat
08-11-2006, 02:12 AM
Search the local junk yards for a chunk of larger diameter pipe but I don't think you need a 60" diameter pipe unless you have a frigging river running down the ditch. It isn't used for irrigation or is it ?

I wouldn't use the galvinized culverts they are expensive also they catch the dirt and eventually plug up. Used steel pipe is cheaper a 10' long chunk is enough width for a access road. If the ditch is 4' deep buy a 36" diameter pipe will do then you have 12"s of road base over top of the pipe.

You better check with your local authorities who deal with the ditches and access roads. They may specify a certain width etc if you go ahead and do something without proper spec's you may get in trouble.

O'Dell Equipment Rental
08-11-2006, 11:20 AM
It passess under a four lane highway and then under a 2 lane service rd before it gets to where I'm thinking about moving. It drains an established hillside neighborhood on the other side of the four lane. Wetumpka, Al is on an old meteor crater, and the proposed lot is about a 100 feet lower than the neighborhood.

The ditch ranges anywhere from 20 to 30 feet wide, and about 5 to 15 feet deep. The stream in the bottom is about 2 feet wide and 3-6 inches deep. If we were to get any significant rainfall I belive that a lot of water would be moving through. It hasn't rained in about a week here and the water is still flowing. Do any of you have any idea about what type of pipe the corp of enginers would require?

O'Dell Equipment Rental
08-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Also, it isn't for an access rd it goes down one side of the property line approx. 150 - 190 ft.

DKinWA
08-11-2006, 12:04 PM
This isn't the kind of thing you want to guess at. I'd check with the city or county and find out what they require. I've seen too many folks put undersized culverts in small streams and drainages which created all kinds of flooding problems upstream of their installation. If there's any chance you can back water up to the highway, I'd talk to the state too. I'm guessing there's a lot of impervious surface in this neighborhood, so the water level has the potential to rise very quickly in this "drainage ditch". I have my doubts a 12" culvert will be large enough to handle the flow volumes you'd get in a serious rain fall if it drains an entire neighborhood. What size are the culverts in the road and highway upstream of you?

O'Dell Equipment Rental
08-11-2006, 02:42 PM
There is a 6 ft wide 4 ft high sqaure one under both the 2 lane rd and the 4 lane.

I have a man meeting me out there this weekend to give me an estimate.

Is it possible to put in anything like a seawall and then backfill to it? I wouldn't have the use of the whole lot but, it would prob be cheaper. Also I don't know of too many crooks that would be willing to cross a kudzu filled gully around here.

Ideally piping and filling would be best though. I called the city and had a hard time just getting the off set for a commercial building, their response to the ditch/gully question was to write up what I proposed and they would tell me if it was okay, they wouldn't tell me what they actually required.

DKinWA
08-11-2006, 11:04 PM
The two crossings under the roads are probably more realistic of what you should be targeting for cross sectional area. If you were to put a 72" culvert in, you'd have slightly more cross sectional area than that existing under both roads. Culvert this size isn't exactly cheap and prices have really gone up, so your idea of a retaining wall may have some merit. You might also be able to save some money if the ground is suitable for a bottomless arch vs a full round culvert. It'll be interesting to see what you end up with for an estimate. It's also unfortunate your city wasn't more helpful.

O'Dell Equipment Rental
08-17-2006, 02:09 PM
The estimate was between $25,000 for 60" gal. pipe up to $32,000 for 60" concrete pipe. This was just materials and labor with me supplying the dirt for backfill. Between 4 foot to 8 foot of dirt on top of the pipe. And about 30 to 40 feet across.

It is a triangle lot with about 130 feet of frontage ( after dirt work ) and narrowing to 50 ft in the rear. ( after dirt work) Also it has a power line running overhead ( makes building placement less than ideal ), and a fire hydrant in the middle of the frontage on the lot itself, and a sewer pumbing station blocking part of the parking area. Usable right now is 100 frontage, 145 down one side, 130 down the other and 20 across the back. Even after all of that the man wants $7.50 a sq foot for the lot.

Good lots in the same area are going for 8.60 a foot ready to build on. I was looking at this one being less due to the above.

He can keep it for that price. I can move 5 miles down the road and pay $3.50 a foot ready to build.

Thanks for the info on this. I read here every day, post some times.