PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Duramax?

qualitylawnmanagement
08-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Anyone run an exhaust on one? Will it make the truck real load? I know alot of you guys plow at all times of the night and I don't want to wake my customers up when I plow their drives if it is in the middle of the night. Also what exhaust would you recommend? And for electronic performance, which do you like bully dog, Banks,Edge,ect? Also will these products make the transmission go bad after a while? Diesel is still new to me, I know what type of power you can get from a diesel. Also what type of mpg do you get towing with an load?

pottstim
08-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Anyone run an exhaust on one? Will it make the truck real load? I know alot of you guys plow at all times of the night and I don't want to wake my customers up when I plow their drives if it is in the middle of the night. Also what exhaust would you recommend? And for electronic performance, which do you like bully dog, Banks,Edge,ect? Also will these products make the transmission go bad after a while? Diesel is still new to me, I know what type of power you can get from a diesel. Also what type of mpg do you get towing with an load?

I can't answer your question, but I want to offer my opinion on something. I test drove one of the LBZ 2006 2500 HD Duramax Silverados a few months ago, and the truck was a real brute. With all of that torque (650 ft lbs) why in the world does anyone need to do mods on these trucks? I would think people would be more interested in preserving the longevity of the drivetrains in their trucks rather than bombing them and shortening the lifespan of the truck. But, hey, who am I to say??;)

coyotekid
08-11-2006, 02:05 AM
LOL...oh it's an addicting and dark path once you get a taste of diesel power! :)

Mine is now putting out nearly 400 HP to the ground in towing form and is doing so very reliably. If done correctly, I wouldn't be so concerned about sacrificing longevity.

Visit my second home: www.dieselplace.com for more info on everything you ever needed to know about a Dmax!

As far as exhaust goes...none of the 3 generations of Dmax's are obnoxiously loud with ANY exhaust--very quiet in my opinion.

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-11-2006, 06:14 AM
when I was shopping a found the Dmax to be very quiet......to me that is good....

lawnmaniac883
08-11-2006, 08:55 PM
I put an MBRP muffler on the cummins and it sounds real nice around 2500 rpms...not loud by any means until you spool the charger around 2150. Nice and throaty too none of that raspy ricer crap.

lwcmattlifter
08-11-2006, 11:28 PM
I put an MBRP muffler on the cummins and it sounds real nice around 2500 rpms...not loud by any means until you spool the charger around 2150. Nice and throaty too none of that raspy ricer crap.

I have the MBRP complete single kit on my Ram. It has a deeper tone but barely louder than stock.

rfed32
08-11-2006, 11:43 PM
uncle just got one and loves it i dunno about pipes hes 50 something lol

hickslawns
08-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Plowing and going to school the next day? I thought we had curfew laws for you kids? lol Wasn't an issue when I was your age. No curfew laws. then again, all I had was a shovel and some moon boots at 16. lol

Mileage will depend on axle gear ratios, stick/auto tranny, ford/chevy/dodge, and what kind of driving you are doing. I wouldn't expect much better than 15 tops, and probably more like 12-13 for the stop and go mowing. towing on the highway will be different.

As far as premature breakage, Yes. These will shorten the life of the engine/trans/drivetrain, etc. THis all depends on how much you do to it,and how hard you drive it, as well as what kind of maintenance you do.

Honestly, unless you are planning on adding a skidloader or hauling serious loads regularly, keep what you have. Fiscally, you are much farther ahead with the gasser. Diesel costs more than gas. You won't offset the difference in costs of the engine and higher fuel prices unless you are putting on killer miles. You are in high school with the rest of your life ahead of you. Keep your debt low. Your truck is perfect for plowing and mowing. I don't even have a plow on my diesel, and I DO plow big commercial lots. For our driveways and smaller commercial lots, every single one of our 7 snowplows are mounted on gas powered reg cab 4x4 just like yours plus one on our bobcat (pulled by my diesel truck). For what it is worth, if I were in your shoes knowing at 16 what I now know at 31, I would be driving the truck you are driving until out of school. It is a nice looking truck. Once graduated, you can decide if you want to go to college, or do this full time. However, when I was your age, I had the same thoughts in my head about beefing up my cars and motorcycles. It was just easier then because they were easily modded with a cam/intake/headers/carb. Back when there were only 6.2 GM diesels, 6.9/7.3 International Fords, and ugly body style Dodge with the "new" (to Dodge at least) Cummins. Call me up if you have any questions, but that is my $.02

jsr2741
08-12-2006, 04:16 PM
As far as exhaust goes...none of the 3 generations of Dmax's are obnoxiously loud with ANY exhaust--very quiet in my opinion.

With this in mind I would vote for dual stacks!:drinkup:

lawnmaniac883
08-12-2006, 06:54 PM
With this in mind I would vote for dual stacks!:drinkup:

Dual stacks will give you some very obnoxious in cab resonance and noise...dont do stacks unless you want to yell to have a conversation.

Jpocket
08-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Don't waste your money on an exaust system just cut the muffler out and weld in a straight pipe. The truck will sound like a 10 wheeler