PDA

View Full Version : Longest Rock Launch

curtislawncare
08-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Yesterday as I was mowing I launched a rock that took about 2 - 3 secondes to hit a stop sign that was about 15 - 20 yards away. A car was passing as I heard the rock leave the mower and I stopped and was wondering if it hit the car but as the car passed I finaly heard a loud ping as it hit the stop sign.

The time from the rock leaving the mower till it hit something was strangly long.

DodgeTruckMan731
08-12-2006, 02:10 PM
i was cutting my yard before and i shot my dogs tennis ball 3 peoples yard away, Ive been lucky tho not to many rocks flying out of my mower.

LONEMAN
08-15-2006, 10:22 PM
When I was cutting parallel to the the roadside with a 61" Scag rider at the golf course I used to work at, the mower gobbled up a big rock that I didn't see which must have been about 15 pounds and spewed it out. It made a loud noise when the blades caught it, and I watched it exit the discharge chute, land halfway across the road, and tumble across the other side! :eek:

curtislawncare
08-24-2006, 12:15 PM
. . .about 15 pounds and spewed it out.

I think we have a winner! :weightlifter:

mowingtowing
08-25-2006, 10:11 PM
i was mowing a yard last year and somehow the mower caught a lacrosse ball and spit it out, i thought it was some sort of hard fruit at first from a tree i was mowing under untill the damn thing bounced off a tree in neighboors yard (about 50 feet away) and came back and hit the mowers tire. Talk about weird. I laughed...

jim dailey
08-25-2006, 10:30 PM
It happened last year. GD Surfer with doubles.Just finished this particular lawn,then went next door to do the neighbor's lwn. I thought that I had hit something. Stopped and looked around the yard. Nothing to be found. Went back to cutting. 2 mintes later the wife from the first lawn is chasing me and the machine down the row, waving a baseball at me. I stop and she asks me to come over to her house. The baseball went thru the double "E" pane Bay window, just missed the chandelier, thru both sides of the dining room/kitchen wall, across the kitchen to the opposite kitchen wall. It was partially imbedded in the final wall. She was not upset...just fascinated with the whole scenario. It ended-up costing me about $400.00 to do the repairs,myself. Did NOT want to run it thru the Ins. Co., for I have used them before and ended-up paying dearly for it. The approximate distance between the mower and the window was about 75-80 feet. Approximately 150 feet to the last wall. $100.00 just for the pane of glass in the window.

Grn Mtn
08-25-2006, 10:40 PM
many moons ago I was on a 72" Ferris, I too hit a lacrosse ball hiding in the grass and man did this thing fly. I watched it keep going up and away until it blasted through a huge bay window and get caught up in the mini-blinds --about 130' away:dizzy:

that would make for a funny avatar....

CUTTING EDGE 03
08-29-2006, 04:12 PM
I had finished mowing for the week and was fishing at the Lake of the Ozarks. I received a call from one of the sales managers at a car dealership I mow, he asked that I stop by, he needed to discuss some damage to a new Fusion. Evidently I had hit a piece of metal which went completely through the rear bumper of this car making a jagged hole about the size of a quarter.
Just in case your wondering a bumper for a 2006 Fusion costs $432.06. Just another day in paradise.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-29-2006, 04:20 PM
golf ball through a sliding glass door tennis ball through the side of a house

jazak
08-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Thankfully nothing YET.;) I bag so that should help.

grandview (2006)
08-29-2006, 04:38 PM
I hit a few golf balls always the same yard, bounced one off the front windshield of my truck had just the right angle.I try not to look up if I hit something.

South Florida Lawns
08-29-2006, 06:38 PM
I mulch with big mower.

The wb is sd and threw a frog through a pool screen enclosure:laugh:

Mickhippy
08-29-2006, 06:44 PM
I was mowing on a golf course one time with my JDX595 and hit a golf ball strangely enough. Tiger Woods, eat your heart out! Must of flown a couple of hundred meters. Loved that sweet "Ping" sound!

nbuzz
08-31-2006, 07:00 PM
I hit a few golf balls always the same yard, bounced one off the front windshield of my truck had just the right angle.I try not to look up if I hit something.
:laugh: :laugh: like if you don't look its not you

I sent a rubber dog toy through a screen door and on to the kitchen table where my customers kids were eating. they thought it was awesome. she didn't. so i had to re-do the screen. thank god thats cheap.

Oxmow
08-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Was weedeating a close distance to my brother-in-law who was riding an old hustler 251. I heard it hit something and looked up to find a small chunk of a wooden 4X4 flying across the parking lot. About 50 yards later it landed in the open top trash dumpster...Maybe a 3 pointer in the mower olympics.

lawncuttinfoo
09-01-2006, 12:27 AM
not far but strange, a few times I'm mowing and something will catch my eye flying out away from me then up, then as it falls it turns around and heads toward me. :dizzy:

#1 Exmark fan
09-02-2006, 08:50 PM
about 4 years ago a co-worker hit a rock that was about 10 pounds sent it clear across the lawn missed me by 5 foot. I was trimming out be the road then cross two lanes of traffic ended up stopping in the turnaround divide highway lucky the rock miss me and all the cars going by

prostriper
09-06-2006, 02:30 AM
This was a long time ago, about 6 years ago. But another employee was mowing when I was trimming. I heard a loud "CLUNK" looked back just in time to see a baseball size rock coming at me from about 25-30 feet away, and watched it hit me in the shin. I hit the ground and laid there for a good half-hour. Left a bruse from my waist to my knee on the back side of my left leg. But I did save the car's body or window, which ever one it would have hit.

Needless to say, now only one person is present when cutting overgrown grass.

LONEMAN
09-06-2006, 10:29 AM
This is sort of unrelated, since it doesn't have to do with a rock or a mower, but rather a tennis ball and a billy goat. I was working for a landscaping company almost 6 years ago and a co-worker thought it would be funny to throw the family pet's tennis ball into the billy goat (the kind you mount onto the truck that sucks up leaves) and see what would happen. Well, the billy goat really sucked the ball in and while it passed through, it made a very cool loud noise before the ball shot out like a rocket into the air about 70 feet. Bet if you ever see anyone trying to steal one of your equipment, you could feed something into the billy goat and aim the discharge part at the theif. That thing will work like a cannon! :laugh: Or better yet, put multiple items into it and it will double as a machine gun! :laugh: :laugh:

TriCountyLawn
09-07-2006, 02:19 AM
Only one rock story, Back when I first got promoted foreman working for someone else I was running a 72" at the local marina and got into some big Rip Rap.......they didnt go far but they didnt excatly roll out neither..lol

Hit a tennis ball for fun 3 weeks ago with my Dixie...lmao The cutstomers punk kid thinks its funny to trhow things where Im gonna have to hit them ect., when im not looking. So there a tennis ball and I notice him watching me. I know its irrisponsible ....discharge is facing the other way from the home ...why not.

That mower hawked that thing all the way to the woods , I gained a new respect for the mower that day.

KingLawn
09-11-2006, 02:25 AM
My dad mowed a small deer with a bushhog, I guess they lay still instead of bolting...when you mow professionally I think you gain much respect for the saying "Sh@# Happens"

Accu-cut Lawn Care
09-12-2006, 11:37 PM
I've gotta be the winner of this one. two weeks ago, I was mowing a commercial property and saw what I thought was a dead bird. I thought...no big deal;I mulch them up all the time. It turned out tobe a dead, rotting poodle. To say the least, I made my help scrape the bottom of the deck at the end of that day. Last Friday, i was mowing one of my sports parks and found a tennis ball. My helper was about a hundred feet away with a drink in his hand on a ztr. I aimed the discharge at him then got his attention. When he stopped to look at me, I tossed the tennis ball in front of my hustler then mowed over it. The ball took a 60 mph trajectory stright for him and knocked the drink right out of his hands. one in a million

desert rose gardening
12-19-2006, 12:19 AM
I was working for the Forrest service in 1980 we where cleaning up a air force station in the mountains. "Why they had a Air Force station in the mountains I don't know" It was a Government job so we had to where steel towed boots, long pants, long sleeve shirts, safety glasses and hard hats. One guy was mowing across the street from me, I was talking the the crew leader when we heard a loud noise come from the mower, we where across the street from him, I look at the guy mowing and see a rock come shooting out from the discharge chute, it came at me so fast I could not react in time and it HIT MY HARD HAT and knocked it sideways on my head!!!! The hard hat did the job! I was fine!

godzilla
12-19-2006, 09:27 PM
With my slingshot I've sent golf balls and rocks well over 100 yards away. With the mower, thankfully nothing memorable has happened. Yet.

sunray
12-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Years ago I was cutting my grass with a 19" snapper,thru a rock through the side window of our van about fifty feet away.
It was the middle of a Georgia summer and the windows where up, the resulting explosion sounded like a 12 gauge going off next to me.

TGK
12-22-2006, 09:25 AM
I demoed a mower (not using the name to protect the innocent), and was jamming along when i caught a big one about the size of 2 fists and tossed it about 20-30 feet. The insuing shhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggkkkkkkkkkkkkkk sound was perfect, along with the relief that this mower wasnt mine at the end of the day!
America is good country

LemkeLawns
01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
My buddy was mowing one day and I was trimming, about 15 feet away, looked up and he hit a rock when I was facing him. Unfortanately I wasnt wearing a hard hat and luckily I didnt get hit, it missed me by about 3".

Later that summer I ran the deck of the mower across his foot, that was a close one too. We stoped and stared at each other in disbelief for a few seconds and went back to work.

This past summer I hit a crab apple(6" dia.) It flew for about 150' bounced 3 times a came to rest at the side of an elderly man working in his garden.

rossignol5
04-19-2007, 12:15 PM
About seven years ago i used to mow for another company and we were mowing a lawn three guys i was weed waking and i heard a thunk and it was a tennies ball out of our old rider it hit the guy on the JD walk behind and he fell right off the mower it had and ol sulky on it. It was so funny. No one was hurt thank god

nobagger
04-19-2007, 12:39 PM
i was cutting my yard before and i shot my dogs tennis ball 3 peoples yard away, Ive been lucky tho not to many rocks flying out of my mower.

I had a yard 2 years ago where the damn kids would leave stuff everywhere and we didnt find this tennis ball til' it was too late....I bet I launched that thing 200ft or better.

razor1
04-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Years ago I was on a Kubota F2400 and hit a hidden clean out pipe. Unfortunately it launched the metal top 30' thru a double pane slider. Paid out of pocket instead of insurance. Chute blockers ever since.

JoshC
04-19-2007, 04:54 PM
This wasn't landscaping related, but I did put a heck of a dent in the hood of a guy's truck with a pumpkin last November. Some friends and I made a pumpkin chunker (12' tall catapult with 800# counterweight) and everybody was told not to park behind the machines in case one misfired. This one guy didn't move and for some reason our machine threw a pumpkin about 150' up and 100' back.....and then THUD SPLAT. Seemed like it took forever to finally make impact. Everbody except for the owner of the truck thought it was funny.

I did shoot a golfball about 150', bounce it off a barn, and then watch it land in a swimming pool with the old Ferris one time. That was pretty good.

Dirt Digger2
04-19-2007, 06:26 PM
my buddy wrapped one of those long steel dog cables around his blades, he also hit a giant snapping turtle with a diskbine and a deer with his snowmobile...maybe he just likes causing carnage.