PDA

View Full Version : Which brand mulcher head is best?

rutwad
08-12-2006, 05:38 PM
I've looked around and guess what, every saleman swears his equipment brand is the best. This is where I need your help. Can anybody chime in about the FAE, Loftness, Gyro trak, magnum, or fecon mulchers?

Gyrotrac guarantees their Toma Ax 500HF will out cut any others. I looked at one brand (can't remember which one) that had chisel type teeth that needed sharpening. This seems terribly time consuming. Others have carbide-tip teeth with no sharpening.

What are any good or bad points about any? It will be used on an ASV RC100

Scag48
08-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Definately get carbide teeth.

From what I've heard, Fecon is pretty much the best out there, but all comes down to price. The Loftness models require sharpening of blades, that's no fun. The Fecon models I've seen seem to be very well built, that's what I'd buy if available.

Stroker
08-16-2006, 05:30 PM
The Loftness models require sharpening of blades, that's no fun. The Fecon models I've seen seem to be very well built, that's what I'd buy if available.

That is just the Loftness Timber Ax... I have the Loftness Carbide Cutter. I decided after demoing it and the Magnum.

Scag48
08-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for correcting me, maybe I was looking at the Timber Ax.

rutwad
08-16-2006, 07:47 PM
That is just the Loftness Timber Ax... I have the Loftness Carbide Cutter. I decided after demoing it and the Magnum.

Why did you go this way? The more I look, the more I hear the magnum is best.

rutwad
08-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Stroker, which magnum did you demo. I believe they recently came out with the XL165-5 which is better than the previous head.
I was thinking magnum for sure, but now I am waiting to demo a FAE. Salesman sold magnum, now sells FAE. He says FAE is much better and want to demonstrate how. Spending this much money, I want to know when I get in the woods that I've got the best head available. If there is much difference, one may end up saving me time at job sites. That means less charges for the clients. Happier client, better advertising through word of mouth.

jsbiker
09-13-2006, 08:16 AM
look at the companies that have been around the longest and keep improving not just amking changes.
look at how the unit is made.. look at the fit of the parts

MikeAtv
09-21-2006, 07:35 PM
I've looked at the Fecon on line and at the Cat rentel store.rutwad what kind of machine are you going to put it on?

rutwad
09-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Mike, asv rc100

YellowDogSVC
10-19-2006, 10:52 PM

I am trying to decide between the magnum, fae, or carbide cutter. I like the simplicity of the loftness but my Bobcat dealer won't even carry loftness because of poor customer service (their words).

Tell us what you liked about the loftness vs. magnum other than the price.

Thanks!

jsbiker
10-20-2006, 10:09 PM
i can give you tech info on the units. first both only use mild steel in the heads. the steel is light weight (not thick). this will be problem in the long run. look at the teeth, dont get hungup on the BS of the double sided teeth that you can trun over and adjustable motors.
look to see how much larger the tooth than the tooth holder, the more tooth past the holder the more protection for the holder and drum. ask if you can talk with a tech or engineer at if you need to can you get a direct number to tech or engineer for help if the dealer cant help you.
how long have they been making muching heads and the number of different heads do they make.
given the facts and not the BS i would be looking at FAE or Fecon.

YellowDogSVC
10-20-2006, 11:18 PM
I am going to demo an FAE with cat paint on it next week (hopefully)

rutwad
10-21-2006, 08:19 AM
My input may not be very helpful, but I just bought a FAE head. Based on local availability, it was either FAE of Magnum. FAE has been in business much longer and carries all size mulchers. Magnum is a relatively new company, which isn't necessarily bad. Maybe a new approach from them could have improved on other's weak areas.

Most of this comes from a FAE salesman, so take it for what it's worth, but it may give you something to look at. The FAE does have adjustable skids. Also the push bar is built much stronger and the sides form a "v" coming into the center. The Magnum has a straight push bar, much lighter material. But if you cut a large tree, the FAE's "V" should keep it centered, while the magnum 6' flat bar would allow it to easily slip to the side. From what I hear from more than one person, do not get the double sided teeth on the magnum. If you turn some around, it caused the drum to become unbalanced. But I don't see what would be different in replacing a few teeth on the FAE. The Magnum does have a pressure gauge which I think is nice. The physical size of the Magnum is smaller, which may provide better visibility, and it may be lighter? The FAE is pretty heavy.

I have never seen any head other than the FAE operate, so I can't speak for performance. I think customer service may play a part in the decision. Both seem like really good heads and should be fine.

Jack_W
11-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Have you called to see about a demoing a GyroTrac cutter head?

Jack_W
11-16-2006, 12:16 PM
GyroTrac has 2 cutter heads available:
one is a low flow cutter head which needs 17 to 22 gpm's of hydraulic flow to operate. It uses the planar technology which lets you cut faster and leave behind a smaller product. The product looks more like mulch that you would buy from lowes or home depot for your flower garden.
The other cutter head is the high flow cutter head. It requires 35 to 50 gpm's of hydraulic flow. This cutter head can handle larger jobs faster and it has the planar technology as well. I recommend that you check them out @ gyrotrac.com it couldn't hurt.

rutwad
11-16-2006, 07:48 PM
It might hurt the wallet. I hear they are good heads, but EXPENSIVE! I figure it would be hard to justify the extra cost.