PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Hydraulic chatter NH LS185b..

SinjonAssociates
08-13-2006, 12:09 PM
I have purchased a New Holland LS 185.b with 900 hrs. As I move forward and lift the bucket to dump I get alot of shutter to the point that with a load of bricks quite a few will bounce out. Dealer says that they have a call into NH about this issue. They tell me that they did replace the hydro oil when they serviced it at my request prior to the sale. Any ideas.

George

Scag48
08-13-2006, 12:58 PM
There's some restriction in flow somewhere in the system. Since it has somewhat to do with the travel motors, you might need to change the hydraulic filter, wouldn't expect to have to do that at 900 hours, but I can't think of anything else. Are you sure you're not pinching a line somewhere? I've done that a couple times, pinched a hose and the whole machine would stutter step.

SinjonAssociates
08-13-2006, 01:13 PM
with kinked hoses, it only occurs when the unit is hot which made suspect oil issues or pump problems(air cavitation). The mechanic who inspected it onsite checked the lift pressure(no drop)although it was at a standstill. I can only trust that they did change the oil along with the filter changes. I did speak with a mechanic who said that the symptoms sound like an oil issue!!!!!

Bluenose II
08-13-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm not familiar with the 185b in particular but i have 4 NH skids. Have you tried replacing the travel control dampers (if it has them). They are attached to the travel levers under the seat. They look like shocks that hold up a hatch door on a minivan for example.They can be worn out, broken, or maybe just came unhooked. When these aren't working the machine will hop like crazy. I replace them often.(maybe...every 1000 hrs.) Can't load trucks worth a damn when they're bad. Good luck.:canadaflag:

ksss
08-13-2006, 09:25 PM
It sounds to me also like cavitation. I would get it in ASAP and get it looked at. If the pumps are cavitating your reducing the life significantly by running it like that.

SinjonAssociates
08-13-2006, 10:31 PM
The dealer has looked at it and feel that it isn't something that is harmful to the skid steer. I also reminded them that this is still an issue that needs to be resolved at their cost even if the warranty expires before it is resolved. The chatter is felt in the lift cylinders and not the travel. It is just more definitive when I am moving and lifting at the same time.Would this still be caused by the dampners?I may replace the oil and filter just to see if it is caused by used oil.

If I open the lift cylinder(pedal) all the way its fine, when I feather the controls it jumps and not because of rough terrain.

Any help is welcome.

George

Bluenose II
08-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Sorry...misunderstood your symtoms...probably not the dampers. I have this problem with my LS170's (and older 665's) but only at full throttle. We just deal with it. We just throttle back a little when we don't need travel speed. eg. loading trucks or grading. I don't think it'll harm anything...one of my 665's has 4700 hrs. on it.

Scag48
08-14-2006, 08:57 PM
I would tell your dealer to take the machine back until they fix it. Just because it isn't harmful doesn't mean they aren't obligated to fix it. Obviously the machine wasn't designed to perform in this matter, therefore it has a problem with it, constituting warranty repair. What a bogus deal, you're getting shafted dude. Time to step in, tell them to fix it, or ask for another machine.

Unless they can prove to you that it's just the nature of the hydraulic system doing it's own thing, which could be the case, I'd be in there until it gets fixed.

SinjonAssociates
08-14-2006, 11:08 PM
I have aready spoken to the owner of the dealership and he has assured me that they will resolve the issue to my satisfaction. The service manager has been in contact with NH-USA to try and figure out why this is happening, as it turns out this has been happening to a few of the other skidsteers in their rental fleet. I will call NH-USA this week to start the squeaky wheel process.I mainly wanted some fresh perspectives from people in the industry who either have experienced this issue and resolved it or have some suggestions to try. I do fix&flips for a living and I'm at the point where I'm using the machine in a way where I don't experience the chatter, mainly moving material around the jobsite. I have asked the owner of the dealership to send me a letter to confirm my no cost fix to my situation so that I have something in writing. I have found that working these situations with patience gets me more in the long run than going in there demanding something that they can't produce at this point. I am open to any suggestions or ideas.

George

SinjonAssociates
08-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Bluenose II, Are you saying that you have the same issue with lifting as you are traveling forward at full throttle? I experience this with digging foundation holes, picking up demo materials etc. I have learned as well to work around it, but after renting other skidsteers, mainly John Deeres and not experiencing this issue, it would be nice to use it as I feel it should be used.
George