PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet vs. Exmark

mfdbrian73
08-13-2006, 06:07 PM
I mow 3.5 acres of grass at my residence. It is a combination of Bahai, and St. Augustine. I have narrowed my choice to two ztr's. Please provide advise on these two choices. First one is a Cub Cadet M50-KHS Tank. This unit is priced at $5000.00. The second is an Exmark Lazer HP with the 19 HP Kaw. engine and 46" cut, priced at $6000.00. I don't mind spending the extra money for the Exmark if it is the better choice of the two. Thank you in advance.

LarryF
08-13-2006, 07:50 PM
I picked the Exmark Lazer HP 5 years ago and never regretted it. Mine's a little bigger (52" and 23HP Kawasaki), but that's probably not too significant. Cub Cadet is an MTD product, and my experience with that company is limited to a log splitter I bought at HD. It hasn't been very good; in fact it has been terrible, so from now on I will shun anything made by MTD.

Good luck!

J.Gordon
08-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I have read a lot of post from people having exceptional results with Lesco/Cub product.
A search should give you plenty of reading, you just need to be able to sift out the mine’s better than yours dribble.

I will definitely check the Cub out for my next purchase.

dcondon
08-13-2006, 11:48 PM
We have run cub tanks for a few years and love them. total fleet is 2 60"s and a 72". Plus 2 W/B's:cool2:

Nosmo
09-08-2006, 05:11 PM
That Cub Cadet model you have asked about is not a commercial unit. It is somewhat of an inbetween type that is a step up from the Z Force homeowner model and beneath the true tanks. That model also has a stamped deck.

Between the two I'd go with the X Mark. I am a Tank owner and I like my M-54 Commercial.

Nosmo

fulano
09-08-2006, 05:36 PM
My john deere has a stamped deck and it cuts good. What's wrong with a stamped deck

John Gamba
09-08-2006, 05:56 PM
does the exmark have the triton deck on it??

dcondon
09-08-2006, 06:52 PM
My john deere has a stamped deck and it cuts good. What's wrong with a stamped deck

If you mow a lot of lawns you will destroy it in no time. Plus the cut is not as good.

newz7151
09-08-2006, 07:31 PM
If you mow a lot of lawns you will destroy it in no time. Plus the cut is not as good.

Well, I guess that could depend on if the deck is 7 gauge stamped steel or the homeowner crap ?

fulano
09-08-2006, 07:34 PM

The cut on my john deere is IMO better than my 52" tt exmark and 36" tthp exmark. I think the stamped 7 iron deck is also thicker than the exmark decks. I haven't read about people destroying these decks but it could happen.

LarryF
09-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I think the stamped 7 iron deck is also thicker than the exmark decks. I haven't read about people destroying these decks but it could happen.

If "stamped 7" is American AWG 7, that's 0.1443". My Exmark's deck is 1/4".

John Gamba
09-08-2006, 09:26 PM
If "stamped 7" is American AWG 7, that's 0.1443". My Exmark's deck is 1/4".

Its welded -----not bent

dcondon
09-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Its welded -----not bent

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool2:

Nosmo
09-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Stamped deck is a deck which is pressed into shape with a hydraulic press. Usually these decks are 11 guage. Perfectly suitable for the usual homeowner type usage.

Welded deck or fabricated is handmade in sections and welded together. I think X mark uses 7 gauge throughout
even in the spindle areas. Cub Cadet uses 7 guage on the sides and 13 guage on the top area. Cadet also welds an extra band around the sides of the deck and full U shape
brackets for the anti-scalp wheels.

Just compare the M50 KHS at 810 lbs. to the M54-KW at 1055 lbs. A lot more steel in the full commercial mower wouldn't you think ?

According to a chart I checked a 1/4" deck would be 3 ga.
and I am not aware of X Mark making a deck using thicker than 7 ga. metal.

Nosmo

I own a 2006 M54 Tank and am glad of it.

Nosmo
09-08-2006, 10:32 PM
DECKS STYLE Full-floating UltraCutTM (TriVantage®) side-discharge standard with option to bag or mulch.
WIDTHS AVAILABLE 52" and 60" 10-gauge top that is formed and continuously seam welded, with 10-gauge top reinforcement plate, 7-gauge side skirt and 7-gauge reinforcement rings at spindle assembly. 5.5" deep, 4-point suspension, full-floating deck with 6 adjustable anti-scalp rollers. Note: 52" deck does not include 7-gauge reinforcement rings.
CUTTING HEIGHTS 1.5" (3.8 cm) to 4.5" (11.4 cm) in 0.25" (0.64 cm) increments and adjustable from operator’s seat.

LarryF
09-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Note: 52" deck does not include 7-gauge reinforcement rings.

Attached is a photo of the end of my 52" Lazer Z deck. If that isn't a reinforcement ring, I wonder what it might be. And it's thickness measures 0.38" which is a lot heavier than 7 gauge. The total thickness of that ring and the skirt measures about 0.63", so I surmised that the skirt thickness must be about 1/4". I have no way of easily measuring the thickness of the top of the deck.

Nosmo
09-09-2006, 07:23 AM
The 7 guage thickness rings (3 of them) are on the top of the deck area around the shafts and around the edge of the deck. According to the X Mark specs the 52" deck does not have the three 7 guage rings around the spindles.

Those figures and specs I posted above are a copy and paste from X Mark's site online.

Nosmo

LarryF
09-09-2006, 11:19 AM
The 7 guage thickness rings (3 of them) are on the top of the deck area around the shafts and around the edge of the deck. According to the X Mark specs the 52" deck does not have the three 7 guage rings around the spindles.

Those figures and specs I posted above are a copy and paste from X Mark's site online.

Nosmo

OK, I stand corrected. Those circular shaped bands of 3/8" thick steel welded to the outside of the skirt of the Exmark deck to obviously reinforce it are not what Exmark refers to as "reinforcement rings". Nonetheless, I still believe that Fulano's statement that "the stamped 7 iron deck is also thicker than the exmark decks" isn't true, and that's the point I was trying to make. But it really doesn't matter, I suppose, because both designs seem to function as intended. However, my previous mower had a stamped deck, and over the years I had run into stumps and the metal bent. I don't think that will ever happen with this deck on the Exmark.

Nosmo
09-09-2006, 03:40 PM
The X Mark deck is an excellent deck and should last a normal homeowner for many years. That deck is sturdy enough to last many hours of commercial use too. X Marks are very good mowers and I'm sure there are thousands of satisfied owners of them.

As far as a stamped deck thicker than an X Mark or a Tank
welded up deck I'd have to see one to believe it. Here is a copy and paste from a John Deere site. Yes the deck is stamped and it is 7 guage. 7 guage is 7 guage and no thicker . It is as thick as X Mark's and Tank's but not thicker.

Copied and Pasted from a John Deere site>

A Diamond Isn't the Only Thing Formed by Tonnes of Pressure

Its inspiration was the passion to build the best. Over 1.8 million kilograms of pressure made it a reality. Introducing the 7-Iron™ commercial mower deck from John Deere. Stamped from a single sheet of incredibly thick 7-gauge (4.5 mm) steel, in the industry's largest press, over 1.8 million kilograms of pressure produce a perfectly smooth and impossibly strong deck.

There are no welds to break or irregular areas to catch clippings. Available in 48, 54, 60 and 72 inch widths, and only from your local John Deere dealer. The 7-Iron™ deck is simply the best in the world.

Nosmo

fulano
09-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Sorry I got it wrong. Maybe instead of saying, "I think" the JD deck is thicker I should have said the JD deck is the same thickness as the exmark but according to JD the JD is stronger because it is one piece and not pieces all welded together.

Anyway, I was just refuting dcondon when he said, "If you mow a lot of lawns you will destroy it (refering to a stamped deck) in no time. Plus the cut is not as good."

fulano
09-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I went and measure the front edge and rear edge of each mower I have.
exmark tthp trivantage 36" front 1.3 cm rear .5cm
exmark tt ultra cut 52" front 1 cm rear .5cm
john deere 7 iron front 2.4 cm rear .5cm

Nosmo
09-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Just using common sense about the thickness of a deck and the type of use it will be going through what would you think would be the best (before the new deck this year by John Deere).

I'd say the stamped 7 guage JD will last as long as ExMark's or Tank's. The earlier 13 guage stamped decks are at a higher risk of being damaged if put to commercial use (especially by a careless employee).

But there are people who are just plain rough on equipment
and are the types who can tear up a steel ball in a rubber room. Even the 7 guage - re-enforced decks are at risk when these people hit objects like steel stakes or bricks.

Nosmo

smokey
03-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Just don't hit anything and deck thickness is not a factor.:)