PDA

View Full Version : LS170 Stalling Issue

bigjmcconnell
08-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Hello.
I am trying to find out if any of you have run into a problem I am having with my LS170 skid steer. When I start it first thing in the morning, it will stall 2 or 3 times and it takes about 10 seconds of cranking to get it going again. Then it sort of sputters to life. It acts like it is losing its prime in the fuel system. Once the machine is running and warm, it will start just fine. I have also had the stalling issue when going up a steep hill.

Any ideas for me?

The machine is new with 130 hrs on it. Of course its out of warranty now:dizzy:

Thanks!
--John

minimax
08-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Check for air leaks in the fuel system

bigjmcconnell
08-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the fast response and the tip. What is the best method of checking for air leaks? I have heard of people spraying the fuel lines with starting fluid w/the engine running, but there must be some better method than soaking my new machine in starting fluid:nono:
Thanks,
John

Scag48
08-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Take it back to the dealer.

bobcat9957
08-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Did you change the fuel filters? Might have got some bad fuel with water or dirt in it. Thats the easiest place to start. How is it already out of warranty with 130 hours? Some machines also have a check valve inside the filter which might not be working properly.

Bluenose II
08-14-2006, 08:34 PM
I agree...change both fuel filters and check the fuel cap to make sure it is venting.

bigjmcconnell
08-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks very much!
As for the warranty issue...factory warranty was only for 1 yr and that expired in February. I will change those filters and post back.
--John

SinjonAssociates
08-14-2006, 11:35 PM
You may also check your fuel supply, use a glass jar and let it sit overnight to see if you have issues!!!

George

Fordsuvparts
08-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Are you using a fuel filter that has a water seperator on it? If so it sounds like you might be having some moisture in the fuel. We changed over all of our equipment to filters with water seperators so we wouln't have to change filters so much. Here in Eastern KY we have had problems with some of our bulk fuel suppliers having some moisture in there fuel. We also found that one of our truck mounted fuel tanks had a bad weld around the pump inlet and water would pool up there and drip in to the tank. Now the fuel tanks have water seperators on them too. When all else fails take it to the dealer. We had a few problems with our LX665 and the dealer fixed several small problems for just over $200.00, so sometimes it pays to take it too some one who works on them everyday.

bigjmcconnell
08-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Just thought I would post an update. I replaced the fuel filters and that seems to have eliminated the problem. I love a simple solution. :cool2: Thanks for the tips.
--John

Scag48
08-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Excellent! Sometimes it's just a simple fix, the hard part is diagnosing. Glad you got it fixed.