PDA

View Full Version : Buy a Toro Z420 or wait and get something else??

PHS79
08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
A buddy of mine is selling his Toro Z420 with bagger (2 years old), the reason is that where he lives the soil is very sandy and when turning it just chews up the lawn, so he is going back to a lawn tractor. I currently don't have a riding mower I use my fathers Kubota BX2230 which is a great tractor, but I just hate to borrow it all the time. So I am thinking about buying the Z420. Are they a good mower? Any problems or things that I should look at?

If I don't purchase the Z420 I have been thinking about waiting another 1-2 years and buying a used John Deere Z-traz. Or is there something else you guys would recommend?

Thanks

PHS79
08-14-2006, 10:17 PM
I talked with my buddy tonight and he said that the mower has 15hrs on it and he would sell it for $2000. I am thinking about offering him $1700. What do you think?

6'7 330
08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
I might be wrong, but I believe the Z420 probably retailed for 5500 to 6500,without the bagger for a ZMaster 420.

Does it have the TurboForce deck? If so, with bagger and only 15 hours accumulated, 2000 is a steal.

Ric3077
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Wow if you don't buy it let me know I will!!! I love my TORO Z and would take another if I could get one for $2K Mine is the 450 48" deck and it's great!

stuffdeer
08-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Guys!...Nothing to be excited about.

This is Toro's lowest model Residential Model...The Toro z420 is a Residential Timecutter.

Ric3077
08-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Guys!...Nothing to be excited about.

Oops...he's right I was thinking the dude was selling a 440...my bad..:hammerhead: DONT BY THE TIMECUTTER!:nono:

PHS79
08-15-2006, 09:48 PM
What is wrong with the Z420?? My lawn is only about 3/4 of an acre with 11 trees, so if not the Toro what should I look for?? My budget right now is only about $3000.

stuffdeer
08-15-2006, 10:21 PM
My suggestion...Look at the 50" Cub with the 22hp at Home Depot sitting next to the toro. Better built and bigger.

EDIT:- Its only 2999.

Ric3077
08-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Something to consider...if you spend $3K on a homeowner grade mower, and say $300 on a cheap trimmer and blower...you're looking at $3,300. I am guessing your lot could be cut and trimmed by an LCO for about $60. Say you cut 30 times per year...and say your mower lasts 3 years before it needs major repairs. Which it will if it's a homeowner model. At 30 cuts it would cost you $1800/year and you save about $100 in gas and oil AND your time! So it is really costing about $1700 if you think of it that way. Plus you save on not having to sharpen blades etc...at some point one has to ask how much is your time worth? You could have a pro cut it for 2 whole years for the same price as owning...and save countless hours. Just a thought
But if you are one of those that just enjoys cutting his lawn and alway will...then I'd say save up for a commercial unit. It will be the last mower you ever buy...A $6000 mower will outlast 3 $3,000 mowers.

CletusT
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I talked with my buddy tonight and he said that the mower has 15hrs on it and he would sell it for $2000. I am thinking about offering him $1700. What do you think?

The Timecutter Z420 is Toro's lowest end residential machine. At 2 years old, the warranty is gone. For a 3/4 acre lot (probably 1/2 acre or less of grass?) that is flat and smooth it would probably serve you well. I just don't think I'd pay much more than $1000 for it. The Timecutter ZX series can be had new for around the $3000 mark. It has alot more commercial features to it, one being a full square tubed frame (vs. the u-frame on the Z and cub cadet). I have used my ZX480 that I bought earlier this year on a hilly, very rough lot and it has held up well. I have a 1.6 acre lot with about 1.25 acres of grass to cut. I can't find any signs of wear on it so far. Another brand to look into would be Hustler. In shopping for mowers the Hustlers looked to be built very well, and from what I see on here they have very good customer service. Another thing to consider is that the tires on the back of a Z are wider than on a tractor. So if you can get a wider deck for a better trim edge then you will be happier. Also, have you considered a commercial walk behind? It might suit your purposes better.

These are just the rambling thoughts of another homeowner.......

stuffdeer
08-16-2006, 10:48 AM
The Timecutter Z420 is Toro's lowest end residential machine. At 2 years old, the warranty is gone. For a 3/4 acre lot (probably 1/2 acre or less of grass?) that is flat and smooth it would probably serve you well. I just don't think I'd pay much more than $1000 for it. The Timecutter ZX series can be had new for around the $3000 mark. It has alot more commercial features to it, one being a full square tubed frame (vs. the u-frame on the Z and cub cadet). I have used my ZX480 that I bought earlier this year on a hilly, very rough lot and it has held up well. I have a 1.6 acre lot with about 1.25 acres of grass to cut. I can't find any signs of wear on it so far. Another brand to look into would be Hustler. In shopping for mowers the Hustlers looked to be built very well, and from what I see on here they have very good customer service. Another thing to consider is that the tires on the back of a Z are wider than on a tractor. So if you can get a wider deck for a better trim edge then you will be happier. Also, have you considered a commercial walk behind? It might suit your purposes better.

These are just the rambling thoughts of another homeowner.......

Just something to keep in mind. I don't know where you got the ZX for under 4 grand. I was quoted 4295 for the lowest 44" model.

PHS79
08-18-2006, 06:40 PM
A little up date.... I have desided to buy the Toro Z420 from my buddy, he is the sales manager at a powersports store that sells Yamaha wheelers, bikes, generators, also Toro mowers and equipment, and Echo equipment. He said that he will warranty the mower for another year for me. So the plan is to buy the Z420 now, use it the rest of this year and also next year. Then the following year (2008) buy a better mower like the Hustler Mini FasTrax with 42" deck and 16hp Honda that I looked at.

Thanks for the help