PDA

View Full Version : Maine Trailer Registration?

Dstosh
08-14-2006, 06:53 PM
I am interested in reading up on registering my trailers in maine. I know you can get semi permanent tags. I tried a search, but not much turned up. If anyone can shed some light on this I would appriciate it. Thanks.

Mike33
08-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Yes i dont have the # but call information in Jefferson Maine, Staab agency. They are nice people and can save you money and hassle from local DMV. I have 5 there, and the nice thing is if you buy a new trailer you dont have to pay your state sales tax to get registered. There is not a big savings on small trailers, but a body of mine saved a lot on a 10 ton low boy. Any trouble getting the # email me at www.bobcatservice33.com
Mike

SodKing
08-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Let me understand this...you want to register your trailer in Maine when you're from New york? Why?

grandview (2006)
08-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Here's a tip don't do it! The DOT are coming down with anybody with Maine plates.I got this from the Dot supervisor.

Dstosh
08-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Let me understand this...you want to register your trailer in Maine when you're from New york? Why?

I beleive that there are cheeper renewal rates. I was just interested in reading up on it to see if it would be worth it. I have a 7 ton that costs over 150 bucks a year to register and it is up in december and it kinda sucks forking over that kind of cabbage in the winter. I just wanted to see if it was worth it.

Grandview, How come they are going after those guys?

BSDeality
08-15-2006, 08:22 AM
you're complaining about registering a trailer for $150 on a piece of equipment that hauls around equipment that probably could make $150/hr!?

Dstosh
08-15-2006, 08:25 AM
you're complaining about registering a trailer for $150 on a piece of equipment that hauls around equipment that probably could make $150/hr!?
I just wanted to see what the reality of it is bud.

BSDeality
08-15-2006, 08:31 AM
I just wanted to see what the reality of it is bud.sorry, I haven't had my breakfast yet this morning. Don't you have to drive to maine to get it registered? or is this something you can do online?

grandview (2006)
08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
It's all about the taxes.And you better have a seperate insurance policy on it. DOT guys are asking for it at inspection sites.

Ron's Lawncare
08-15-2006, 07:59 PM
It's all about the taxes.And you better have a seperate insurance policy on it. DOT guys are asking for it at inspection sites.

Maine donen't require trailers to be insured.

Dstosh
08-15-2006, 08:08 PM
sorry, I haven't had my breakfast yet this morning. Don't you have to drive to maine to get it registered? or is this something you can do online?
That is what i am wondering

Mike33
08-15-2006, 08:49 PM
These guys knocking this is full of ****. Private message me for more information if needed and i will give you my phone #. Firet of all it is legal you are dealing with a license agent that is legal because you run interstate. Thats means as long as you at some times go in another state it is legal. I live 1 mile from penn. and 4 miles from W,Va., naturally i do business in 3 states like a trucker going cross country. How ever your supposed to own at least 2 trailers to be considerd a fleet.So if you even have a 4 wheeler trailer register it there also. Talk to the Staab agency i told you about on any questions. As far as DOT bull **** you are legal, i have 5 trailers tagged there and have been pulled off twice in the last year here in Md. We have a national reconized known prick for a dot cop, after being cited on a few piss items i even asked him about the Maine tags. His reply was they are legal and if you can save a dollar good for you. I have been thru a weigh station in our area 8 times this summer and have not been asked to pull to the back. Like i said on smaller trailers you might not save much but on larger 10 ton and up you will save. I mainly did it because our local DMV is a pita. Also you dont have to pay no sales tax to put a new trailer on the road. No you dont have to drive there , they will send you a form fill it out and a check for $24.00 per tailer and small reg. fee they will send your tag or re-new sticker. There year runs from Feb.-Feb. One year my tag expired i called them and they allowed me to fax the information give credit card # and overnited my tag to me. My local office would not even thought of being that considerate.
MIke

Ron's Lawncare
08-16-2006, 06:58 AM
Maine does require that all trailers over 3000 lbs gvw be inspected. i don't know how you can get around that with out coming to Maine.

Mike33
08-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Maine does require that all trailers over 3000 lbs gvw be inspected. i don't know how you can get around that with out coming to Maine.
i have 2 trailers @ 10,000 1 @ 12,000 the other 2 undwe 10,000 . I started with them in 1995 as you can read my post how i do it. I have not been in the state of maine since 1970.
Mike

Ron's Lawncare
08-16-2006, 08:12 PM
i have 2 trailers @ 10,000 1 @ 12,000 the other 2 undwe 10,000 . I started with them in 1995 as you can read my post how i do it. I have not been in the state of maine since 1970.
Mike

i did reread your post, it explains the reg. process but the inspection is done at a private truck shop. they put a sticker on it just like the one on the winshield of your truck.

Mike33
08-16-2006, 09:52 PM
i did reread your post, it explains the reg. process but the inspection is done at a private truck shop. they put a sticker on it just like the one on the winshield of your truck.
I have never had a trailer inspected in 10 years. Even been stopped enough by dot. I see your from Maine that could be the reason.
Mike

SodKing
08-16-2006, 10:06 PM
The DOT was camped out in my parking lot today... They must know we are located there because he just waved when we pulled in and unloaded...

Mike33
08-16-2006, 10:28 PM
And what happened?
Mike

Mike33
08-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Went thru Md. Dot weigh and inspection station twice today moving eq. with no problem with maine r. tags.
Mike

JSMLAWNCARE
01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Has anybody else tried this?

Lugnut
01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
My trailers registered in Maine too, I've never had any problems. I bought a used 16 footer, it was about 10 years old with no title. It was registered in NY previously as a homemade, but the DMV was making things too difficult when I went to register it myself because I didn't have the right paperwork. I was told about the Haskell Agency, and gave them a call. They took care of everything, got me my Maine plates, registration receipt, and it was alot cheaper than NY also. Another big plus is that I don't need inspections every year with it.

PatiosInstalled
01-24-2008, 05:15 PM
from what i was told about Main is that the biggest advantage is no inspections. some guys buy big trailers that have break problems and reg them in Main so then they get to bypass the scrutiny from the dmv. now again this is what i was told. they could be wrong but their has to be some benefit to reg in Main because i see dozens of trailers tagged from there.

supercuts
01-24-2008, 05:25 PM
two of my friends registered their old 4x4 wheeling truck through Maine becuase they were old,lifted too high, and all rotted out. they didnt have to get them inspected. they litterally called up, said i live and CT and want to register in Maine. they said thank you send your check, a few days later their plates showed up in the mail.

not saying any of this is right, just stating what i remember. this was about 8 years ago.

NEUSWEDE
01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
from what i was told about Main is that the biggest advantage is no inspections. some guys buy big trailers that have break problems and reg them in Main so then they get to bypass the scrutiny from the dmv. now again this is what i was told. they could be wrong but their has to be some benefit to reg in Main because i see dozens of trailers tagged from there.

learn to spell

Maine

jimbobz99
02-23-2008, 04:39 PM
would you give me a way to contact the haskell agency?
i have a homemade trailer and new york is a pain with wanting to have a salvage inspection done. i would appericate it. thanks jim

greenglass
03-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I see from last post about Maine reg was in 2007.Jimbobz99 did you find any more info on the Maine reistering.I have 2 trailers and would rather do it some place other than NY.They charge every year and want inspection also.Even in Maryland its a 1 time inspection.

kearneywalnut
04-04-2008, 10:28 AM
from what i was told about Main is that the biggest advantage is no inspections.

Fact is in Maine you now have to have any trailer over 3000lbs inspected every year, just like cars and trucks. Also you have to have insurance on any trailer over 3000lbs, and you have to have brakes on all axles if the trailer is over 3000lbs. I guess never coming to Maine you never have to deal with the DMV, and out of the state you are registered in nobody every knows what the states requirements for Insurance/inspections are.

kearneywalnut
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
two of my friends registered their old 4x4 wheeling truck through Maine becuase they were old,lifted too high, and all rotted out. they didnt have to get them inspected. they litterally called up, said i live and CT and want to register in Maine. they said thank you send your check, a few days later their plates showed up in the mail.

not saying any of this is right, just stating what i remember. this was about 8 years ago.

It don't know how you could get vehicle plates without paying excise tax at the town office here in Maine. Plus our vehicle inspections are one of the most restrictive in the country, only 2 sizes up on tires, no body or suspension lifts, no through rust on the body panels, no more than surface rust on the frame... I wish I could get my rusty trucks inspected here, but it isn't possible.

I get pulled over 3 times a year in my town alone for stupid crap, license plate light out (1 of 2), no front plate, etc...

greenglass
05-23-2008, 08:31 AM
I live in New York and have 2 under 3000lbs trailers reg for 8 years.Maine will not register out of state CARS,TRUCKS,ATVs,or any motor driven machine ! plus no camper type trailers.only reg ular cargo type trailers.So this crap about people getting their junk trucks registered is bull!

Lawnboy3680
02-18-2009, 10:28 PM
I have had my 16foot and 20foot open landscape trailers registered in maine for 8 years. I like the no inspection when I buy a new one. Because at least here in Maryland I can get the Maryland title without requesting tags. I pay the excise tax (one time fee) on purchase price. Take a copy of title, proof of payment of excise tax and mail it to trailer section of Maine DMV with the 43.00 for 2 years and I have tags in a week without inspection headache. When renewal time arrives I can go online now and renew with a credit card. I will never tag again in Maryland as they charge 51.00 dollars a year for the tag. Also it would require an inspection which can be quite costly. I know Maine offers longer semi permanent tags but those require the use of an instate agent or agency. I do not mind renewing every 2 years.

kearneywalnut
02-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Man, I love this scam that all of you run from all over the country. Those of us who actually live in Maine have to go through hell with inspections on trailers over 3000lb. Retroactively you have to have brakes on all axles, so you can't buy most used trailers. Are there some other states I could register mine in? I guess I am glad you do it in Maine, gives money to our pathetic welfare state and I guess keeps the cost of my tags down. Although they just raised the rate on a car. Do your trailer tags say you have over 3000lb? It would seem to me that they would make you pay excise tax every year if it were the case, but who knows...

Lawnboy3680
02-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Kearney, With all due respect I take offense at you calling this somekind of scam. That word implies something illegal which could not be further from the truth. The registration weight is 10,000. The registration clearly states non-excisable trailer. It goes on to further state that the excise tax is a local tax used in the local community. I am convinced that is how I am able to get around that. The residence is stated as Md. I seriously doubt Maine is anymore of a welfare state than Maryland in fact I am sure Md would love to have all the tag fees they lose to close there so called self created budget deficit. They probably have stayed up long nights here recently trying to figure out a way to put a stop to it. But there is a problem its called the interstate commerce clause of the U. S. Constitution. Take a survey sometime when you are on the interstate and you will see the majority of trucks have Maine tags.