PDA

View Full Version : Thick bladed, light color grass among regular grass

fprintf
08-14-2006, 08:37 PM
I have a 9 year old lawn that I hire a professional to handle fertilization and weedkilling. Overall I am very happy with my lawn care company, however this is the first year that I am seeing large spots of very thick patches of wide bladed, light color grass among the darker narrow bladed grass. I much prefer the narrow darker grass.

My lawn guy came and applied a weed killer that seemed to take care of any crabgrass I had around, but barely touched these thick patches. I have uploaded some pictures in hopes that someone can tell me what species this is that is invading my pride and joy.

I did install a sprinkler system this year, but the patches are not necessarily where the pre-emergent was disturbed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

fprintf
08-14-2006, 09:04 PM
I guess I should have searched some more forums first... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=81324&highlight=thick+bladed+grass
makes it seem like I have Tall Fescue in these spots.

I may have to get out there with Roundup and a paintbrush cause these things are super ugly!

lawnmaniac883
08-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Tell your lawn guy his blades need to be sharpened...

fprintf
08-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Interestingly, this was the first or second cut after I sharpened my blades. I see what you mean, though, that the ends of all the blades of grass are brown and a few of them somewhat ripped.

It is a very sharp blade, at least I thought it was!!! I think it is perhaps time to get some new blades professionally sharpened, and get the old ones sharpened as spares.

mr mow
08-14-2006, 11:43 PM
thought you said it was cut by someone else professionally?

mr mow
08-14-2006, 11:44 PM
oh, i had to re-read...its not cut professionally. i do that from time to time.