PDA

View Full Version : Interviews

parkeeee
08-14-2006, 08:15 PM
It has been approximately 14 years since I've had to go to an interview. Although I can retire in exactly 2 months, I decided to go for an upper management position.

Doing searches on interviewing skills gave me tips along with my wife doing rehearsal interview scenarios. While I do very well one on one, I do not prefer to be the center of attention.

I was able to avert they're eyes off of me by handing out an 'updated' resume in case that "I might gloss over some of my accomplishments".

The only answer that I am second guessing at the moment is that I made the statement that I am not a yes person, that if I do not believe in the direction that we are moving that I will debate my position, but in the end the boss is the boss.

We'll see how well the panel thought that I did. I'm glad it's over.

:weightlifter:

MLawns
08-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Good luck!

jd boy
08-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Parkee-

As you know I just went through the same process, it is rough.
I approached from the point of view that I already had a good job, so if I got it great, if not oh well.

If you get it how much longer will you work, since you were so close to retirement?

parkeeee
08-15-2006, 05:33 PM
The yearly salary jump would be 3500 - 5500. The longer I work, the bigger my pension becomes. I am in the 2% multiplier. Currently I have 25 years, which means that if I leave in 2 months I would get 50% of my salary based on the three highest years.

There is another benefit to staying. There is a computation whereby I can go back to the date that I could have retired and take a lump sum. If I would stay another 10 years, it would be approximately 500K, besides a monthly pension.

jd boy
08-16-2006, 08:24 AM
10 years is an awful long time!

parkeeee
08-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Did you end up taking the job?

I'm kind of putting the cart in front of the horse, I have not been offered the promotion.

I know that this is not original, but time just seems to go faster and faster. Maybe in 10 years I could be a bronze member of LawnSite! lol