PDA

View Full Version : Fill for a raised patio / surface?

gdeangel
08-15-2006, 11:01 AM
I have a lot of rock debris and surface shale that I've raked out of my lot prior to seeding. Since there is no landfill here that I can take it too, I had a brainstorm to make a two foot high patio and dumb all this rock as fill, then cover with either pavers or concrete. Will this work? I'm sure the right way to do this is with compacted gravel of a certain size, etc., but the whole point here is to make a place to dump this shale on my lot where noone can see it.

Any thoughts? I figure if I use pavers, I can level it off and set them in sand or mortar. Maybe a some kind of interlocking paver would help? I am a novice homeowner:dancing: , not a pro, so all tips are appreciated.

LB1234
08-15-2006, 01:49 PM
We have come up with a similar situation. We performed a complete rip out of an entire front landscape. In that landscape was a 3' wide, 4-6" thick concrete walkway about 80 feet long. We were able to break the walkway up into manageable pieces for our machine to lift. We could have taken this cement and recyled it for about $7-8 per ton...

However, we are going to be building a 12'x27' raised patio (~2' height). We are going to place the concrete, flat/smooth side down on the ground as fill in the raised patio. The key to doing this is going to be making sure there are no gaps were sinkholes or settlement can happen over the years. If it does than your rasied patio will dow it in a few years. This will be saving the homeowner about 3 yards or a few thousand pounds in stone.

Whatever you do don't place wood or other decomposible material as fill. This will bring you a headache later on.

forestfireguy
08-15-2006, 09:34 PM
How large is the rock debris? If the shale is like what we run into here it will turn to dust under a plate compactor. You might end with something similar to what we use for a compacted base......

gdeangel
08-16-2006, 03:00 PM
How large is the rock debris? If the shale is like what we run into here it will turn to dust under a plate compactor. You might end with something similar to what we use for a compacted base......

Mostly it's around ~1" chips, but there are a lot of good size chunks that are +/- 8 inches edge to edge. I'm looking at filling to 20" above grade. I go go lower if it makes a difference for the compacting. (I was going to hand tamp it...)

forestfireguy
08-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Hand tamping I wouldn't. Rent a plate compactor for a day and compact every 3 or 4 inches.

gdeangel
08-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Hand tamping I wouldn't. Rent a plate compactor for a day and compact every 3 or 4 inches.

Thanks for the advice!