PDA

View Full Version : Any One Else Made the Jump

jd boy
08-15-2006, 01:55 PM
I just got offered the district supervisor position for a local park district.

Has anyone else made the leap from the landscape field to a parks setting?

How was the transition? What do you hate? What do you love?

I am slightly concerned because I have never worked in any parks district. They are, of course, aware of that, but I am still nervous about the change.

I need to decide within the next 2 days, and I keep going back & fourth.
Any other opinions / thoughts would be appreciated!

parkeeee
08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
I am going in reverse of your dilemma. I have worked for a parks district since I was 16 years old and have now started a lawn care business.

Best of luck on your decision.

:weightlifter:

jd boy
08-16-2006, 08:27 AM
And from other things you have posted, and your intention to possibly stay another 10 years you must have enjoyed your tenure at the parks

parkeeee
08-16-2006, 08:16 PM
I had no idea when I started how important the benefits were.

It has been great to work OUTSIDE since I started in 1974. Some of those years were only 4-6 month seasons where I had to find another job (warehouse, apartment maintenance/management) but there was always the draw to get back outside

parkeeee
08-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Things I like: steady paycheck, freedom to make changes, chances for advancement, pension.

Things I dislike: political whims, loss of funding, impression that government workers are freeloaders.

If you take it you must know the contract of union employees and work within it.

If you don't like it, you can go back to lawn care, right?

jd boy
08-17-2006, 07:36 AM
I took it!

The union issue is one concern. I will not be a union employee, but the people that work for me will be. I have no experience with the union, so that will be a challange.

parkeeee
08-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Whenever I go into another area, I will always take a look into my employees personal files. Not that history will repeat itself, it is nice not to be caught off-guard. This not only can tell me about problem employees, but those that have been recognized or rewarded for going above and beyond.

Another insight would be to take a look at grievance dispositions to give me an insight as to what the past problems where, how they turned out and how I can avoid them. Grievance history will also give a clue as to frivolous claims that have shown to be a waste of time. JMO

Keep us up to date as to how the jump is working out for you.

jd boy
08-24-2006, 11:43 AM
I will start the Tuesday after Labor Day. Boy am I nervous!

parkeeee
08-25-2006, 08:40 AM
I will start the Tuesday after Labor Day. Boy am I nervous!

Just observe, make notes and ask questions. If you have a better way, make changes gradually.