PDA

View Full Version : My broke Azz and Chevy

South Florida Lawns
08-15-2006, 10:39 PM
hehe

I try to save some coin and do all my own maintenance, today its changing oil tomorrow I gotta rotate tires and remove 2 screws in the passenger front.

Shes been a good truck, I got 27,000 or so miles on it. But I gotta get some new brake pads for it.

rfed32
08-15-2006, 10:46 PM
just changed my oil the other day....it cost the smae here doing it urself or going to a oil place but i like knowing that i did it

BSDeality
08-15-2006, 11:02 PM
27K miles out of a set of pads? time to get some trailer brakes!

Jason Rose
08-15-2006, 11:18 PM
I see why your azz is broke! could be that new truck in your garage???

Yeah, we are guys, we change our own oil. Yes the quick lube place, even the delaership can do it for the same price, but without the peace of mind...

I can't believe you need brake pads already! Sounds like someone stops too quick... Actually that's probably really close to average, 30K or so on pads.

I can't see the wheels really well in the pic, but if you get tired of them roll them up my way!

South Florida Lawns
08-15-2006, 11:21 PM
27K miles out of a set of pads? time to get some trailer brakes!

I got them on both axles, must be a combination of big wheels and tires too.

BSDeality
08-15-2006, 11:29 PM
are they properly calibrated? what controller are you running? I run 18" rims on my ford and at last inspection @ 25K there was hardly any evidence of brake wear. I have towed about 12-15K of that 25k too.

mcwlandscaping
08-15-2006, 11:31 PM
you sure have had quite a few problems with that truck!! get that new 3500 dumper you were talking about!!!!haha

stuffdeer
08-15-2006, 11:47 PM
What kind of problems have you had with the truck?!

South Florida Lawns
08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
I have the Tekonhsa, it works really well, and I do have it set up correctly.

I guess running 20" wheels and 32" tires wears things out faster than normal.

As far as problems go I have had it in for Broken tailgate cables (recalled).

A leaking water pump

Steering shaft had play in it (recalled too).

Creaking in back of cab when coming to a stop.

Engine coolant leak.

Front end started making noise, needed steering shaft rebuild kit.

Other than that its been a great truck and I am really happy with what it does, just kinda surprised at all the problems I have had with it.

BTW I am the original owner of the truck too.

Brendan Smith
08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
I have the Tekonhsa, it works really well, and I do have it set up correctly.

I guess running 20" wheels and 32" tires wears things out faster than normal.

As far as problems go I have had it in for Broken tailgate cables (recalled).

A leaking water pump

Steering shaft had play in it (recalled too).

Creaking in back of cab when coming to a stop.

Engine coolant leak.

Front end started making noise, needed steering shaft rebuild kit.

Other than that its been a great truck and I am really happy with what it does, just kinda surprised at all the problems I have had with it.

BTW I am the original owner of the truck too.
ok, here's the dilly

water pump - super common on the 5.3

steering shaft - no recall. period. there is a lube kit available through gm. you have to r&i shaft to grease it. first they had us lube them, then replace shaft, now back to lubing again. technical service bulletin #00-02-35-003. we do 6 or 8 a week. after 36k miles, it's your baby unless the selling dealer wants to goodwill it for you. he should be empowered to do so up to 5 years or 60k miles. after that, he would have to h-route claim to area vehicle manager for approval. mine has approved them up to 100k for original owners.
it is not a saftey issue, just annoying as hell, and a pizz poor design.

creaking in cab - did they replace body mount or cab strap? body mount is more common. 2-3 of these a month here.

things to watch for:
- if ac suddenly stops cooling, check low pressure switch. they are notorious.

cd player inop - possible fix by reprogramming radio/cd player, otherwise replace with exchange unit.

memory seats freezing - likely driver door module problem.

paint peeling from radio knobs - to prevent this, do not use armor all.

there was a bad problem with reaction sun shells breaking in the 4l60e trannys, but this seems to have been corrected by switching to a harder steel by the time yours was made. if it were to break, reverse gear is not longer operating.

parking brake shoes only have about 3mm lining new, so make sure you don't ever have the park brake depressed, even slightly, unless vehicle is stopped. they are about $120 for parts alone.

service 4wd light - probably corrected by reprogramming active transfer case, dealer only.

service engine light with fuel trim rich bank 1 or 2 code (i think p0172) - likely intake gasket leak.

when refueling, make sure engine is off and gas cap is tight and teather is not under cap or service engine light will come on. if problem is corrected, it will clear itself within 50 drive cycles or so.

tailgate handle bezels are really crappy and break with little provocation. the replacement ones often break during installation due to the design of the retainers.

fuel pumps get noisy on some (high pitch whine) and are only available as part of pump/sender assembly. waaayy expensive if you are paying. also, the fuel gauges are bad for reading 1/4 tank when empty on flex fuel vehicles. there is a bulletin to replace the strainer (sock) for this condition, but we replace the whole assembly as they crap out anyway.

one last thing - the evap vent solenoid is a really crappy design and will get packed with mud if you do much off-roading. it will trigger the service engine light to come on when this happens. i have a farmer who comes in frequently with this problem.

these are the most common ailments for this vehicle, time will tell what else is weak. the engine seems solid except for the water pump leaking. i have quite a few customers who have over 200k on them.

good luck!!
ps - i'm not telling you this so you will worry, just so you know what to report prior to the warranty expiring. goodwill claims are generally ok if the concern is reported prior to warranty expiration.

DoetschOutdoor
08-17-2006, 04:52 PM
"one last thing - the evap vent solenoid is a really crappy design and will get packed with mud if you do much off-roading. it will trigger the service engine light to come on when this happens. i have a farmer who comes in frequently with this problem"

Im highly doubting he does much offroading with the 20's and if he does, he doesnt get far enough in the mud to cause anything to get clogged up. Is chevy just known for having those loud fuel pumps bc it seems thats a common on them?

Brendan Smith
08-17-2006, 04:57 PM
"one last thing - the evap vent solenoid is a really crappy design and will get packed with mud if you do much off-roading. it will trigger the service engine light to come on when this happens. i have a farmer who comes in frequently with this problem"

Im highly doubting he does much offroading with the 20's and if he does, he doesnt get far enough in the mud to cause anything to get clogged up. Is chevy just known for having those loud fuel pumps bc it seems thats a common on them?

first statement about off roading - i have seen stranger things in my years here.

question about fuel pumps - pretty much :cry: they usually don't crap out immediately after they begin making noise, but it will happen eventually. changing fuel filters every 30k seems to help, but not after the noise has already begun. late 04 and up have non-serviceable fuel filters, just one in the tank, so we'll see how that works :rolleyes: . not well is my guess.

stuffdeer
08-17-2006, 07:02 PM
HEh...My chevy has had two of the same Problems as yours.

Tailgate Cables...Always nice to hear *SNAP* when loading an 800 lb ATV.
I still got to go to the dealership to get them fixed from the recall.

I've got minor Cab Creaking.

Brendan Smith
08-18-2006, 12:03 PM
HEh...My chevy has had two of the same Problems as yours.

Tailgate Cables...Always nice to hear *SNAP* when loading an 800 lb ATV.
I still got to go to the dealership to get them fixed from the recall.

I've got minor Cab Creaking.
s-10 cables are covered under warranty by a special policy and/or recall, i forget which.

South Florida Lawns
08-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Cool deal on the info.

I am a picky person when it comes to squeeks and rattles.

The dealer never fixed the creaking in the cab, had them check it 3 times and never fixed it.

They tightened the body mounts and I think one of the reports said they greased somthing.

All I know is that she still makes noise but I got used to it after a while.

My next truck is gonna be another new chevy:usflag: .

How are the 6.0's?

TheLawnBarber
08-19-2006, 01:39 AM
I've noticed in the new chevys the quality has gotton bad. I just bought a new Chevy 2500HD diesel there is alot of vibrations in certain places. But, in my 1991 silverado 1500 every thing seems fine.

MMLawn
08-19-2006, 10:12 AM
I just bought a new Chevy 2500HD diesel there is alot of vibrations in certain places. But, in my 1991 silverado 1500 every thing seems fine.

Really now? I don't know many 15 year old high school dudes that can afford a $47,000.00 pick-up so how about some pics? :waving:

ALarsh
08-20-2006, 12:37 AM
It was probably new to him, in fact used with 100,000+ miles. I could be wrong though, I have been in the past.

tthomass
08-20-2006, 12:42 AM
i change my own oil ESPECIALLY in my car...........it is fully synthetic and i don't trust places to charge me for synthetic and actually put it in vs regular and screwing up my engine:nono:

TheLawnBarber
08-20-2006, 01:01 AM
MMlawn, Hey sorry man its used!!! ( new to me) Its a 2000 with 115,000 miles or so.( have to go look if you want "exact" miles)

mr mow
08-20-2006, 01:46 AM
my 17 teen your old cousin who is going >INTO< the airforce just bought an 06 white chevy 2500 ext gas of course working 3 jobs it can be done, just hope it can when he is away.. its not a diesel but with options im guessing 32,000? maybe less(no leather) still for 17 thats good. yeah dad im sure co-signed,cause you have to be of age to have credit.

South Florida Lawns
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
well I bought my truck new off the dealer lot in 2003, 14,700 OTD.

Brendan Smith
08-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Cool deal on the info.

I am a picky person when it comes to squeeks and rattles.

The dealer never fixed the creaking in the cab, had them check it 3 times and never fixed it.

They tightened the body mounts and I think one of the reports said they greased somthing.

All I know is that she still makes noise but I got used to it after a while.

My next truck is gonna be another new chevy:usflag: .

How are the 6.0's?

pretty strong. no issues to speak of.