PDA

View Full Version : Clear an acre

stanley24
08-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Hello, I am looking for some advice.
Wife and I just purchased 15 more acres. Rolling wooded hills in sandy soil.
Mostly (and many)small soft maple. Red pines (which are around 50 foot) but scattered sparsely. (Northern Wisconsin)
My question is how to go about finding a company that would want to take one acre in the middle of this plot and clear it leaving only a few large trees to make the yard for our future house?
One landscape company did not return my call and one company did not return an e-mail? Was wondering if I am having bad luck or am contacting the wrong trade to start with?
I own a new TC40 4x4 tractor with a 6ft tiller, land scape rake, box blade
back blade, front end loader and 6ft woods rotary cutter but I think this job will require more expertise and more profesionalism than I can give it.
(I live 5 hours from this place right now but need to get the area cleared for the house which will be built in 2 years
Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.
Tom

lzrj
08-16-2006, 10:26 AM
my advise would be to do it yourself and save thousands of dollars. get a few of your friends and make a weekend trip out of it. you could even camp out on your land. i have five acres that was all heavily wooded. I cleared out an acre myself using just one cheapo sears chainsaw. It took me months but I did it all myself and cut down probably 100 large oaks (50 to 80 feet tall). if you dont want to do that then i think you may be contacting the wrong people. around here landscaping and tree services and totally different companies. so look for tree services in that area and you should have better luck.

KERRTURF
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Have you thought about contacting a mill or a timber company to come and timber the area out. Depending on what you have available, you may be able to sell the lumber and make enough to pay an excavator to do the dirt work.

lawnmaniac883
08-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Call up a contractor and have him take care of it. Tell him what you want done and get him to go through contacting the tree companies, and having a plot cleared.

Brendan Smith
08-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Have you thought about contacting a mill or a timber company to come and timber the area out. Depending on what you have available, you may be able to sell the lumber and make enough to pay an excavator to do the dirt work.
that is exactly what i was going to suggest. or timber it, keep the $$, clear the rest yourself, and use the timber $ to either lower the payment on the land or use it for downpayment on the house.

stanley24
08-16-2006, 04:59 PM
The wood value would be nill. Most of the maple that will be cut are under 5inches dia. The larger pines are very few. There are areas that have nice wood but these areas are not where I am putting in the yard.
I had thought about doing it myself. My best friend is a owner of a logging company (2 employees very small). He owns a small processor (ideal for what I need done) Skidder forwarder etc. When talking with him, basically, he tells me that he cant move the equipment in there for that small a job, he is contracted with a lumber company and has deadlines himself.

The cutting down of trees is not my real problem. I can do that with no problem, if it was needed. (this is where I show that I am a tool and die maker and not a landscaper) what I am after is the end result. Having the ground prepaired for a lawn. Removing the roots and stumps of all the brush and trees. Also, removing the wood material, whether it be by chipping or other means.
What kind of buisness does this? Is it unusual to find a landcape company to do the rough clearing? (I am lost on where to start here).

I dont want to start whacking down tree's only to find out later that it would be easier to remove the roots if they were left standing? LOL.
If I am rambling I am sorry, the frustration is creeping in and its only the beginning!.
Thanks again
(BTW) Anyone know anyone (company) near Eau Claire Wisconsin that needs a small job like this?

Brendan Smith
08-16-2006, 05:26 PM
The wood value would be nill. Most of the maple that will be cut are under 5inches dia. The larger pines are very few. There are areas that have nice wood but these areas are not where I am putting in the yard.
I had thought about doing it myself. My best friend is a owner of a logging company (2 employees very small). He owns a small processor (ideal for what I need done) Skidder forwarder etc. When talking with him, basically, he tells me that he cant move the equipment in there for that small a job, he is contracted with a lumber company and has deadlines himself.

The cutting down of trees is not my real problem. I can do that with no problem, if it was needed. (this is where I show that I am a tool and die maker and not a landscaper) what I am after is the end result. Having the ground prepaired for a lawn. Removing the roots and stumps of all the brush and trees. Also, removing the wood material, whether it be by chipping or other means.
What kind of buisness does this? Is it unusual to find a landcape company to do the rough clearing? (I am lost on where to start here).

I dont want to start whacking down tree's only to find out later that it would be easier to remove the roots if they were left standing? LOL.
If I am rambling I am sorry, the frustration is creeping in and its only the beginning!.
Thanks again
(BTW) Anyone know anyone (company) near Eau Claire Wisconsin that needs a small job like this?
maybe try a tree service and then call the landscape co after a clean site is ready for them?

lzrj
08-16-2006, 06:43 PM
when you start building your house, the excavating company will plow the land to clear and prep for the foundation. not positive, but i think it would be cheaper if they were cut down first. i would think they would charge extra to take the whole tree down (easier to just deal with stumps). either way the stump or the whole trees would be piled up to be burned. thats your four options 1)cut yourself 2)tree service cut for you 3)see if some company would timber them for you 4)have the excavator take them out when preping the ground.

dvmcmrhp52
08-16-2006, 06:57 PM
If you've got a 40 horse tractor with a front end loader all you need is a chainsaw..........
Cut down the trees and leave a three foot high stump, take the trator and push or pull the stumps out.
An acre won't take that long if the trees are indeed sapling stage.

Tool and die maker, eh?
One of the few still left in the trade.........
I had to get out...........

stanley24
08-16-2006, 08:08 PM
(off topic)
Just read in our paper in Kenosha, Wi that a 30 year old man that owned his own buisness went thru his chipper today! The co workers could not turn it off, he had tried to dis-lodge a stuck branch with his foot! OUCH!)

Yep Tool and die maker LOL A die-ing breed (LOL)

How do you guys go about working the ground with so many roots ? Is there a machine that munches it all up?
Would I be better off to have the wood chipped into a large pile (so I can spread it over my trails thru out the woods) or am I better off having it hauled out? I dont think I want to burry all the waist wood, just the stumps.

Boilermaker
08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
When we built our home, we were in a similar situation. We need some tree roots taken out, so I just had the guy digging our basement take them out. He had a backhoe and he just buried them (large oaks).

I'd either lookup 'excavating' in your yellow pages or better yet, go to the local coffee shop some morning and ask the local old guys who to get. I'm sure they know exactly who would do you a good job in the area.

I have also had stumps taken out with a bulldozer. If you go this route, make sure you leave a 12-18" of tree stump to allow the blade of the bulldozer to get a good bite.

Hope this helps and good luck!

muddstopper
08-16-2006, 10:27 PM
5in maple saplings will be easy to push out with your 40hp tractor. Take the frontloader and just push the tree over, then saw off the stump. Start work in the center of the area you plan on clearing and work outwards, but pushing the trees toward the center. That way when you get done, all the brush will be in one place. go to the rental center and rent a chipper if you want mulch, otherwise burn it. If you let it set for a while (thru the winter months), before burning, most of the stumbs will burn up also. The larger red pines might be a little harder to push over but you can use the front loader to dig some dirt away from the stump and eventually push the larger trees over.

dahammer
08-16-2006, 11:59 PM
My advice would be for you to hire a contractor with a bulldozer & possibly an escavator. Around here the newspapers are loaded with ads from these contractors. Ask around in the area where the land is located. I'm sure someone can recommend a good one to you. Keep in mind that generally speaking a bigger dozer will be a better option than a small one, even if he's twice as high as he'll get done 2 or 3 times sooner. Just to give you an idea, around here a small dozer runs $75 or so an hour. I hired a guy with a Cat D6 & 850 escavator a few months back and he was $130 an hour, but did my job in 4 hours. Also, I'd have him pile the brush up vs burry it. Then you can use your tractor and blade/loader to keep it pushed up when burning it and not end up with a bunch stuff burried. Just make sure that you mark any and all trees you want saved with flagging and tell him not to remove them.

tylermckee
08-17-2006, 01:52 AM
You have a tractor so and im assuming you can do a decent job of running it, then you should be able to get the controls of an excavator fairly quickly. Rent a 160 size machine with a thumb for a week and clear and burn everything and call it done. either fall and buck the trees up before the machine gets there and start stackin the brush when it arrives. Or you can push them over and crunch them up and toss them in a pile.

Pro-Scapes
08-17-2006, 08:12 AM
my advise would be to do it yourself and save thousands of dollars. get a few of your friends and make a weekend trip out of it. you could even camp out on your land. i have five acres that was all heavily wooded. I cleared out an acre myself using just one cheapo sears chainsaw. It took me months but I did it all myself and cut down probably 100 large oaks (50 to 80 feet tall). if you dont want to do that then i think you may be contacting the wrong people. around here landscaping and tree services and totally different companies. so look for tree services in that area and you should have better luck.

This is bad advise for someone who is not experienced. Dropping trees that size is dangerous work. Contact a timber co or if there is a sawmill near by. They should buy the trees. Or better yet see if you can find someone with a wood mizer and have it sawn up for lumber but if you dont know about dropping trees this size DONT!

jeffinsgf
08-17-2006, 09:40 AM
You need a bulldozer operator. Start in the Yellow Pages there. You do not want a tree service. Those guys are equipped to pick one tree out of the yard without damaging anything else. You just need somebody to come in with a mid-sized dozer and clear your site. He'll push everything into a pile and you can invite half of Wisconsin over for a weiner roast.