PDA

View Full Version : Dodge v10 gas milage

CoreysOutdoor
08-16-2006, 01:32 AM
Have an 01 dodge 2500 with v-10 for about a year now. Gas milage sucks!!!
Does anyone have any history with these motors? How about any serious ways to improve the milage? Has anyone looked into a new chip or anything for these engines? Can't quite justify getting rid of quite yet.
Thanks

lawnmaniac883
08-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Face it, you bought a gass guzzler.

Either get a diesel or a V8.

Bad idea to buy a truck then not be able to afford the gass bill :hammerhead:

G&S LANDSCAPING
08-16-2006, 05:00 PM
:dancing: I have a 2001 dodge 3500 dually ,and get 8.5 mpg towng or empty. loves gas ,but will pull anything i give it.

Randy J
08-16-2006, 06:51 PM
The best way to improve fuel mileage in that truck is trade it for a diesel. You've got a great motor, but it's thirsty. Some things that might help (though not much) are synthetic oil and lubes, free flow exhaust and air filter, do not put on oversize tires - and keep them properly inflated. That's all I can think of.

Jason Rose
08-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Well my '98 dodge 3/4 ton V-10 gets about 8 mpg unloaded-not towing, and around 4 to 5 mpg with the trailer.

Yes that's WORSE that my ford did with the 460 in it! I am not happy with the gas mileage at all to say the least, I was hoping for 8 to 9 towing at least!

Only thing I can think that may be killing my mileage is my catilitac converters (sp?) One is ratteling around pretty bad and I'm sure it's not flowing like it should. Whole exhaust system on dodge trucks SUCK to start with, never seen so much rust on an exhaust with low miles like this one has. I'd prefer to replace it all sometime and leave off the cats... but is that even possible on a vehicle with o2 sensors all over it?

My tires are stock size (it's a 4x4 as well)
I'm using valvoline max life oil, not synt, but I like the stuff.
only has about 56,000 miles.

HenryB
08-16-2006, 07:47 PM
With that gas mileage you should buy a horse. 4 to 5 mpg. A strong horse should be able to pull a 12 ft trailer. You can even have free food, the grass clippings!

Jason Rose
08-16-2006, 07:51 PM
With that gas mileage you should buy a horse. 4 to 5 mpg. A strong horse should be able to pull a 12 ft trailer. You can even have free food, the grass clippings!

thanks for the laugh! :laugh:

On a fuel related story... the other day I was filling up the cans and I always top of the truck (you DO NOT want a 35 gallon tank to see E) So anyway it was on the first hash mark after the full mark. I jokingly said it wasn't going to take much to fill it, JUST 10 gallons probably! Well I stuck my foot in my mouth... To get from that mark back to full took 9.5 gallons!!! :dizzy: :dizzy:

markam70
08-16-2006, 08:02 PM
We have 2 dodge v10's. 1 is a 2500 with a manual tranny, the other a 3500 with an AT. Both are 4wd. We chipped both, k&n air filters, replaced the stock exhaust and a few other minor things. The 2500 is getting around 16 mpg, the 3500 around 13.5-14 mpg minus about 1-1.5 mpg when towing heavy (over 10k lbs). They are running 500hp and 650 ft.lbs of torque.

HenryB
08-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Markam, I wish that were true but I can't see that V10 getting 16mpg even down a steep hill.

markam70
08-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Markam, I wish that were true but I can't see that V10 getting 16mpg even down a steep hill.

Whether you can see it or not, I don't know what to tell you.

I just returned from South Carolina with 400 trees in a 28' stock trailer. Gross weight was approximately 22,000 lbs. I averaged 12.8 mpg in a 3500 dually, 4wd, with an AT, running the AC the entire way. 547 miles each way, 85.1 gallons of gas total.

Let me help you with the math.
547milesx2 =1094miles/85.1gallons=12.85 miles per gallon

So Henry, if you personally don't own or know anyone who owns a v10 that has been modified such as ours have, i suggest you sit quietly since the question was if anyone had any knowledge of how to improve the fuel mileage of these trucks, not what does Henry believe.

HenryB
08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
I've actually owned four V10's I've never seen or heard of any mileage even in that ballpark out of a V10. But if your doing it that's great!:drinkup:

Jason Rose
08-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Markam: I am like Henry, rather skepticle here. Now I see you have your numbers in order and all though. I want to do to my dodge what you have done to yours! Mines the 2500, V-10, 4x4, automatic, extended cab with a dump bed. My empty weight is 7,900 pounds... Is that even close to what your 3/4 ton weighs in at? My bed and hoist, plus the extra length on the cab, add a LOT of weight... But if buying a superchip (or what ever brand you got) and making mods to the exhaust is all it takes, I'm all for it. If I could get even 10 mpg pulling I'd be happy! (my trailer is a 20' lawn trailer, fairly light compared to heavy equip. trailers)

Ive even looked around in the Dodge truck forums and haven't seen any clues as to how to get better mileage like this. I hope you will tell your secrets!

Randy J
08-17-2006, 08:36 AM
We have 2 dodge v10's. 1 is a 2500 with a manual tranny, the other a 3500 with an AT. Both are 4wd. We chipped both, k&n air filters, replaced the stock exhaust and a few other minor things. The 2500 is getting around 16 mpg, the 3500 around 13.5-14 mpg minus about 1-1.5 mpg when towing heavy (over 10k lbs). They are running 500hp and 650 ft.lbs of torque.

I would have to agree this is rather unusal - but it's not unheard of. Most of Dodge V10's I've heard of get around 12 mpg - it was all I could do to get my 1/2 ton with a 360 to about 16mpg. But as I said free-er flowing exhaust and air filter, combined with synthetics will help.
You can't get by without catalytic converters - nor do you want to in case you ever sell it or they institute emissions testing in your area. But you can buy free-er flowing converters and replace the stock ones. Of course you have to find an exhaust shop to put them in on the side - most don't like to mess with that due to federal regulations. Valvoline is a good oil, but if you're looking for better mileage I would suggest synthetics from front bumper to rear. By the time I had changed the oil, front and rear diff's, transmission and transfer case, I had picked up about 1.5 mpg. Not a lot but every bit helps.

CoreysOutdoor
08-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys.

Markham70...

That is exactly what I was looking for. You are the first person I have found that has tried any of these items. I would love to here some detailed information about this so I could get the right products the first time. Mine is auto, so that's my main interest.

What was the mileage before you made these improvements?

Did you put these items on individually or all together? and if so, do you know any numbers or what you gained from each improvement? I would love to know what you would do first, second, etc to combat this problem, and of course, the brands of products you had success with?

You mentioned some minor things. Could you share those secrets as well?.

Thank you in advance for your reply! I will be following up immediately. Going to get a filter TODAY!

Myself and every other V-10 owner will be grateful! It would also give those rich oil companies less money!!!!!!!

markam70
08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Start with the air filter...we use k & n's. they are a 1 time investment. just clean them when dirty and reuse. next i would go to the exhaust. we replaced everything from the catalytic converters back. we use and exhaust shop that does custom work. oversized pipe, flowmaster muffler and shorten the tailpipes. that should give you some inmprovement. as for oil, we use valvolive 10w40.
the chip we use is a mopar upgrade. its basically a viper chip.
also, we noticed the fuel consumtion improves with mileage.
let me know what you try and if you see any improvement and i'll help you with some other options if you're not satisfied.

CoreysOutdoor
08-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info. Did you get good responce from exhaust? What did you invest in that? $300? How about when you installed the chip? Did you notice a big improvement from the chip? Did you upgrade plugs at all?
Thanks

RedWingsDet
08-18-2006, 09:47 AM
why would someone buy a v10 and expect to get good gas mileage.

I cant stand when people buy huge trucks and expect to get the mileage of a honda.

Jason Rose
08-18-2006, 05:50 PM
why would someone buy a v10 and expect to get good gas mileage.

I cant stand when people buy huge trucks and expect to get the mileage of a honda.

wtf? nobody here said that at all, we all KNEW and KNOW how bad they are with fuel economy and are here to share and receive tips on how to make them run more efficiently... Granted I was hoping to 10 mpg at the best, but get half that. Others here can get better than 10 to 12 towing, whats their secret? Well they shared, we learned, now it's $$$ time to see which upgrades are finiancially fesable.

I'm guessing the exhaust around $200 to $250
The Mopar "chip" is probably close to $400 (which would be the same price as other brands)
The K&N filter around $50 for just a plain old filter, closer to $300 for a whole cold air intake kit.

Am I close in my guessing here?

markam70
08-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Complete exhaust from coverters back will run about $550-650 due to the fact that there is 2 catalytic converters. chip was another $600 but keep in mind that there is a huge difference in hp & torque. we rebuilt the tranny in the 3500 since it was an auto. another $1700. i'm not saying it was necessary, i just didn't want to take any chances. air filter was standard k&n. we also changed the plugs to therapidfire or croosfire(i can't remember which). i'll have to back and check the records to refresh my memory on the other mod we made. you should notice a difference with the filter/exhaust upgrades.

Jason Rose
08-18-2006, 06:47 PM
OUCH!!!

Well the sad part is that I think my truck needs new cats anyway, one, or both, are rattling something awful so I'm sure one is broke apart inside.

I think usually when one refers to a "cat back" exhaust its from AFTER the cats, not including them... Thats why I had the price MUCH lower, lol

markam70
08-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Check the mileage on your truck. Catalytic converters are warranted for 80k miles I believe. If not, buy aftermarket, Chrysler converters were about $400 each.

Jason Rose
08-18-2006, 07:33 PM
hummm, thanks for the info. I have about 56,000 on it... and DUH I just remembered I got an extended warranty when I bought this truck in Janurary. I'm going to bet those would be covered by the warranty one way or another. guess I better do some checkin.

markam70
08-18-2006, 07:45 PM
when your mileage hits about 60k-70k, you'll see better fuel economy. these engines don't run at a high rpm, up so they seem to take longer to break in.

CoreysOutdoor
08-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Jason, you said it well. Thanks for all the info guys, i'll see what I can do.
On a side note: has anyone tryed original truck bed hoist kits??? Thoughts.