PDA

View Full Version : my business is on the brink of failure THANKS TO ASV!!!!!!

Stroker
08-16-2006, 07:08 PM
I have debated whether to even post this. The biggest part of my business is my 2006 ASV RC-100 with Loftness Carbide Cutter. The phone rings almost every day seeking my services. I have customers waiting as we speak to give me money for what I can do.. So WHY you may ask is my business on the brink of failure? It's kinda hard to make payments every month when the machine sits broken down WAY MORE than any machine should....

Lets look at this machines history...

March, 2006.. I take delivery of my new RC-100
March,06 .. Second job I have, Hydraulics STOP WORKING COMPLETELY! Dealer picks up machine and it sits in shop for 2 days being fixed.
March,06.. Brand New Battery dies out of nowhere. Jump it off, machine dies again. 1 day out of service while dealer delivered new battery.
March 06.. Dealer installs NEW battery. That battery dies and will not hold charge. 1 day out of service while dealer gets new alternator.

April06.. High Flow hydraulics stop working. Machine is taken in by dealer to fix some kind of electrical glitch. 2 days out of service
April 06.. More hydraulic problems. System won't maintain pressure or something. Machine can't even pick up cutting head. 1 or 2 days out of service while problem is fixed.

May 06.. Hydraulics AND Electrical again! Mechanics scratch their heads this time wondering what the problem is. Machine is out of service 1 1/2 weeks .. LUCKILY they had a loaner available after a couple of days.

June 06.. Same hydraulic fitting kept breaking. THIS MAY HAVE BEEN MY OWN FAULT THOUGH. Still a pain in the ass...

July 06.. A month where nothing happened... I was working on other things and and didn't use the machine as much.

August 06 Air Conditioner decides to break. Since machine is used with a Carbide Tree Cutter, AC is a MUST... 95 outside, 120 inside
Machine has been at dealership since LAST TUESDAY. So we are going on over a week already. They say because they had to order parts, I "might" have the machine back by Friday. That will make almost 2 weeks out of service...

Just as my luck will have it. All lined up work is Carbide Cutter work. So I am sitting idle right now. My dealer, God Bless Them, I honestly feel they are doing everything they can. They offer me a free loaner whenever they have one. But an RC-100, enclosed cab is not a machine they always have on the lot. I have customers waiting to write me checks, yet I don't even know how Im gonna make my payments this month. Some customers are understanding when I have to call and tell them I am going to be a week or two later starting their job than originaly planned. Some are not. I lost an estimated $3800 worth of work in May and June from customers who got sick of waiting on me.
This **** is driving me crazy. I just had to vent....

Stroker
08-16-2006, 07:18 PM
As I go back and read this. It is hard to comprehend the pain in the ass this machine has been. Some might say, "a couple days a month aint bad".. I dunno

I havent even listed all the 1/2 days this machine has cost me. Ofcourse nothing breaks at 5:30pm. When it decides to break its always at 11am or something. Or all the fuel having to haul it from a job to the dealer from 50+ miles away...

Be back later. Im gonna get a beer...

jazak
08-16-2006, 07:37 PM
So sell the ASV and get a CAT! :clapping:

murray83
08-16-2006, 07:41 PM
buy a cat? lol,doesn't cat supply most parts for the ASV?

jazak
08-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah but cat has better service and I think CAT only gives ASV the pilot contols.

murray83
08-16-2006, 07:52 PM
i always thought asv took cat's design as a benchmark for their own.

you know today we rented a skid steer it was a jcb 1100T? i think its called tracked skidsteer. everyone disses jcb but i was impressed,its a sweet little machine and for kicks i took that machine to its limits since she was a rental and it did quite well,pilot controls were very nice and the layout was very operator friendly.

xcopterdoc
08-16-2006, 08:23 PM
They have ASV's lined up at the Deere dealer in Fayetteville NC... no one is buying them. Havent even seen one yet in the field.

rutwad
08-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Stroker, really sorry to hear about all your problems. PM sent

bobcat9957
08-16-2006, 09:33 PM
If you look at the earlier cat track skid steers they say ASV on the tracks. But alot of the parts are very similar. So i am not sure if CAT used more ASV or ASV used more CAT. Most of the cab is the same CAT key, controls, and gauges. But chances are the CAT dealer would have a loaner avalable most of the time.

Dirty Water
08-16-2006, 09:49 PM
ASV designed the under carriage for the Cat skids.

Not the other way around.

I'm sorry to hear about your "lemon" stroker. It seems like everyone has been having bad luck with their machinery lately (QPS's 257 running like crap, Squizzy's 301.8 running like crap...wait, maybe its a cat thing :laugh: )

Is it too late to pull a lemon law on your dealer? Personally I think ASV makes great machines, and I have heard nothing but good about them, but there is always those machines made on friday.

Dozer_Fan
08-16-2006, 09:52 PM
ASV engineered, designed and now supplies Cat with the undercarriages for their line-up of MTLs. Cat also owns a small stake of ASV. I just traded a 277 A Cat for a 248 Hi-Flow with a Magnum cutter head and a ASV Track kit on it. That thing is a F@#in hoss! Welcome to the world of high tech heavy equipment. Sucks to be broke down but hopefully they'll get all the bugs worked out. If it keeps up, I would seriously talk to them about a trade out. ASV makes an awesome product so as hard as it seems, I would not give up on them yet. You may have just got a lemon.

rutwad
08-16-2006, 10:07 PM
ASV designed the under carriage for the Cat skids.

Not the other way around.

I think ASV designed the under carriage and then Cat bought part of the ASV company hoping to use the same undercarriage on their machines. But it would not work on the Cat's. Cat still owns part of ASV

Scag48
08-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Okay, for all you guys who can't figure out the Cat/ASV deal.

Cat owns 51% of ASV. Cat puts their pilot system and various other parts on ASV machines. However, the machines are not identical in nature whatsoever. They share some of the same componentry, but each brand has it's own design advantages/disadvantages. The undercarriages on ALL Cat MTL's are 100% ASV designed and tney have ASV stamped right on them.

Stroker, sorry to hear about your misfortune. What's your plan at this point? Give it back? Is there any way you could go the Takeuchi route? Cat is out, they don't have anything 100HP to run that cutter, as you are well aware, otherwise I'd suggest that. Hang in there, maybe we can help you do some brainstorming to keep things rolling.

Green Pastures
08-16-2006, 10:36 PM
I bought a Cat 257B a little over a year ago and it's never broken down on me.

salopez
08-16-2006, 11:52 PM
i say take it back and get a gehl 7810 with vts tracks...and never look back!

Dozer_Fan
08-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Stroker, sorry to hear about your misfortune. What's your plan at this point? Give it back? Is there any way you could go the Takeuchi route? Cat is out, they don't have anything 100HP to run that cutter, as you are well aware, otherwise I'd suggest that. Hang in there, maybe we can help you do some brainstorming to keep things rolling.

My high-flow 248B Cat with the VTS track system runs my magnum cutter head quite well. I think its 79HP.

:drinkup:

Digdeep
08-17-2006, 09:58 AM
CAT actually owns roughly 24% of ASV. You can get this information in the financial section of Yahoo under ASVI.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations, however, I know quite a few operators up here in WI that own RC100s that have had no major issues with their machines in brush cutting. I'm sure your dealer and ASV will take care of you. Best of luck.

Scag48
08-17-2006, 12:10 PM
CAT actually owns roughly 24% of ASV. You can get this information in the financial section of Yahoo under ASVI.

Really? Wow, I thought Cat owned at least half. Thanks for correcting me.

cddva
08-17-2006, 02:21 PM
It sounds to me like you've been more than patient putting up with all the problems. Given that those problems are costing you money (revenue) I would insist they "find" a loaner RC-100 while they have your machine for all this warranty work. Your dealer should call up ASV and have them agree to pay for the loaner even if it has to come from another dealers rental fleet. There's really something wrong with the picture when your expected to continue making the full monthly payments on any equipment/vehicles that are OOC for lengthy or frequent periods for warranty work (unless they are providing you an equivalent machine - loaner). I'm sure you don't want to resort to it.......but, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

jt5019
08-17-2006, 03:08 PM
This guy might be selling a bobcat cheap.......... All joking aside, my buddy operates a ASV almost everyday mowing around structures for the power company i havnt heard him complain about any problems.

ksss
08-17-2006, 11:13 PM
I would start working toward getting a replacement machine. The first option would be getting ASV to step up and replace the machine. I would pursue this as your new number 1 priority (after the beer). I had a CASE machine in 01 that had numerous problems. I got a new machine.

The other option is get a different machine. If it comes to it you will have no other choice. I wouldn't trust the machine you have, and if ASV wont do the right thing then get a different machine. You will obviously go under if you don't get this resolved soon. The other issue is the bad rep your creating for yourself by not meeting deadlines.

You have several options for large skid steers with decent high flow systems. The CAT 248 XPS system makes enough flow but depending on the cutter head you have may be a little light in the ROC department. Gehls large skid steers have a high ROC and high engine hp but don't make the high hyd. hp they should, in fact they are very poor considering how big they are. I also spoke with several cutter head OEMs at CONEXPO and they said they have seen overheating problems with the Gehl machines running the large cutter heads. Loftness has a data sheet specing everyones hyd hp. It is very interesting and more exact since it is not the skid steer OEM's that put it out. Takeuchi unless they have just released it does not offer high flow from the factory. There are after market companies that offer it for TK. There was a thread on it earlier in the year. The 90 and 95Xt machines can be had with either a 3K psi high flow or a 5K high flow system. This was the most psi and flow available in a skid steer. The new 450/465 machines no longer offer the 5K system. They flow around 40 gpm at 3K psi. The machines run great. The cabs are tight and not as nice as some of the others. It may come down to who will give you something with for your ASV. Without a doubt you will have to get this resolved soon.

Tigerotor77W
08-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Sorry to drag this away from ASV... but wtf happened in that Bobcat photo!

Back on track: I'm not sure it's an "ASV" problem so much as the machine is a lemon. If you said your rollers and idlers were chunking or if you started having some problems due to poor maintenance in the UC, that's understandable... but the magnitude of your problems (and how varied they are) seems to point to the machine just being the runt of the litter. I'm an idealist, but would it help to write a letter to your customers (without making your story sappy or pitiful) letting them know that you've had some technical difficulties? Maybe that's just the down-to-earth, naive, engineer side of me speaking, but I'd hate to be in a situation where my machine crapped out on me and my customers blame me for it. (Granted it's my problem, but I'm not the one directly responsible for the problems.)

forestfireguy
08-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Dump that POS and buy a Bobcat , we have a T300 and never have trouble, regular bucket,forks,breaker or landscape rake all work great. I know it's not so simple to give up a financed machine but have you called ASV to complain? Sometimes the squeeky wheel does get the grease.

AWJ Services
08-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Dump that POS and buy a Bobcat , we have a T300 and never have trouble,

The tracked Bocat machines wheel motor failure is a known concern.
They say they have it fixed.Who knows.

The right choice would have been too buy a dedicated Forrestry machine.

Of course none of this helps him.

In my owners manual on page 56 they list high flow as a option.

TL 130 36.2 gal/m
TL 140 38 gal/min
TL 150 39.6 Gal/m

It says the High flow can only be used for one way flow attachments.

Scag48
08-18-2006, 10:09 PM
There's no doubt that the RC-100, when running properly, is one of the best machines for this type of work. Maybe Stroker's best bet is to try and get a new machine on ASV's dime.

ksss
08-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Bobcat is having problems with their drive motors. Thats direct from one of their lead engineers. He stated a lack of options out there in the open market for a better drive motor. He will take a beating on changing to a different brand. The ASV option would the best from a dollar standpoint. However if they drag their feet or refuse to take the machine back you don't have the option of waiting it out. Its time to "make hay".

Tigerotor77W
08-21-2006, 04:27 PM
ksss, for how long has the engineer maintained that it is a problem? I have heard that Bobcat has solved the problem.

One thing to be careful of when talking to engineers is that they will can see the bad side of products for years to come; after all, it's their job to build good machines. When the machines don't deliver, they get all the "crapwork" and are the ones charged with finding solutions. Therefore, even if the engineer is seeing problems today, he could easily be seeing problems with machines from years ago that are popping up today. I'm just throwing that out there, not saying it's fact.

ksss
08-22-2006, 12:55 AM
That was this last winter (Jan) when I spoke with him. They may have fixed the problem since then.

RentalGuy
08-22-2006, 07:19 PM
I heave been in the business nearly 27 years and I have heard so many horror stories about ASV machines. I am really sorry for your luck with that machine.

Digdeep
08-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Stroker,

Any update on your RC100? Has the dealer or ASV stepped in to help you?

It's almost funny for me to hear people talk of all the "horror stories" on different brands of equipment. I could tell you hours of "stories" from when I sold Bobcats, however, Bobcat still has a pretty good reputation. I know many guys in the industry making their living with many different brands of equipment, and all have had a problem pop up here or there (people design and build them). I don't think any of us are immune to them, regardless of the brand that we use. The point is that equipment will break one time or another. It's just a matter of time. In my mind it comes down to what a dealer and manufacturer do to provide a good value to the customer in the way of service and solid product support.

dozerman21
08-23-2006, 11:53 PM
It's almost funny for me to hear people talk of all the "horror stories" on different brands of equipment. I could tell you hours of "stories" from when I sold Bobcats, however, Bobcat still has a pretty good reputation. I know many guys in the industry making their living with many different brands of equipment, and all have had a problem pop up here or there (people design and build them). I don't think any of us are immune to them, regardless of the brand that we use. The point is that equipment will break one time or another. It's just a matter of time. In my mind it comes down to what a dealer and manufacturer do to provide a good value to the customer in the way of service and solid product support.

Well said!:clapping:

Scag48
08-24-2006, 03:34 AM
There isn't a bulletproof machine, some just break down less often or your flat get lucky. What really matters when buying a machine, I can't stress this enough to some, is the service you get from you dealer. I had a down machine on a Saturday, my Cat store is closed on Saturday, but my sales guy drove down to the store on his day off after putting in a 70+ hour week (we're that slammed out here even the sales/rental guys are feeling it) to get me running again.

RentalGuy
08-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Stroker,

Any update on your RC100? Has the dealer or ASV stepped in to help you?

You are correct. As a general rule, you are better served if you understand that equipment is bound to break down. However, I think there is a big distinction between breaking down and habitual problems. Stroker is obviously experiencing the latter. During my years, I have known many people with ASV's that have experienced habitual break downs. In those cases, the dealer failed to take action. I think that is a big problem in itself, but at the end of the day, the machines just didn't cut it.

Maybe it is just a function of the track loader business in general or maybe a large group of people with ASV's just have extremely bad luck. Who knows?

Stroker
08-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Update!!!

My sales rep who is always the first guy I cal whenever something goes wrong really stepped up. I got a call last Friday from ASV themselves. The guy said they had been made aware of my situation and were in the process of gathering my service records from my dealer to "see what we can do to make this right".

I will post up the further developments..

rutwad
08-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Update!!!

My sales rep who is always the first guy I cal whenever something goes wrong really stepped up. I got a call last Friday from ASV themselves. The guy said they had been made aware of my situation and were in the process of gathering my service records from my dealer to "see what we can do to make this right".

I will post up the further developments..

I am a bid "do-it-yourselfer" trying to save a dime. But I guess in a situation like this, is pays to have the service done at the dealer. To bad my local stealer is so high.

dozerman21
08-28-2006, 11:34 AM
I am a bid "do-it-yourselfer" trying to save a dime. But I guess in a situation like this, is pays to have the service done at the dealer. To bad my local stealer is so high.

I think that he meant when dealing with warranty issues, or something that the dealer should make good on. I do the same thing. If you have a good relationship with your salesman, or the service manager, they will go to bat for you. They want your business in the future.

I agree with you though. I try to avoid the dealer as much as possible if I need a repair done and the machine is out of warranty and it's nothing the dealer should fix. I do all of my own maintenence. Dealer prices are high everywhere though. It doesn't matter what dealer it is, or what brand of equipment.

blankenshiplawncare
09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
I have a friend that runs 2 RC100's with cutter heads on them. He has normal problems with the machines from the extreme conditions he exposes them to. I have to agree with all the others that yours was a lemon, built on a Friday close to beer-thirty or on a Monday after beer-thirty. This is a bit distracting of a photo but things happen to all of us. It took a JD450 to pull it out.
[URL="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=129130"]

Dirty Water
09-07-2006, 10:44 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47209&stc=1&d=1137033825

Stroker has already buried his RC-100 too, do a search :)

tigerroze
03-04-2008, 05:22 PM
I have a sr-70 with 181 hrs, great machine WHEN it's running. In the first year I had to replace all gauges, 2 starters, ignition, several relays, & now the float has quit. If I wouldn't have kept my wheel machine as a back up, I would have been screwed last year. Service guys seem to know NOTHING about these machines & there seems to be no contact between ASV & selling company......as if they were made on a different planet! Such a shame such a fine machine is not being supported by it's maker!

BIGBEN2004
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I have a sr-70 with 181 hrs, great machine WHEN it's running. In the first year I had to replace all gauges, 2 starters, ignition, several relays, & now the float has quit. If I wouldn't have kept my wheel machine as a back up, I would have been screwed last year. Service guys seem to know NOTHING about these machines & there seems to be no contact between ASV & selling company......as if they were made on a different planet! Such a shame such a fine machine is not being supported by it's maker!

OK we get your point. You can stop posting the same thing up on every ASV post. It is a shame you had bad luck with your ASV but many on here have good luck with theirs and love them. I don't own one but have ran many Cats and other than having trouble keeping tracks on them they would go places and out perform many in areas others would just sink to their belly pans. Eventually I want to add a PT-70 to my operations for fine grading. Please stop posting the hate messages on the ASV post. We get enough of that on the Bobcats....:laugh:*trucewhiteflag*

bobcat_ron
03-04-2008, 10:01 PM
ASV's machines are built cheap, if you really like the U/C and their benefits, then you'll have to buy a new Cat MTL to really appreciate what a good skid steer with ASV U/C's can do for you, other wise, you're just wasting your time and money on their cheap machines.

nosparkplugs
03-04-2008, 11:30 PM
I hate to hear that about ASV service, I have rented the RC100 for Pipeline right of way clearing here in Memphis, I got everything before stuck, in this a wet bogg 70% of the years. The pipe line got all of their equipment stuck. The ASV had everyone with their jaws dropped it floated over the bogg, I was up rooting huge tree's the pushing them forward that big Dozers were getting stuck cause of their weight. Know I have not operated a CAT yet so I cannot comment. ASV has several pattens on their undercarrage I think Cat is copying ASV?

tigerroze
03-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Hey, these aren't hate messages, this is just my situation that feel others should be informed of. Only my first message was posted on other posts to reach more people.
what's your problem with that??????

bobcat_ron
03-05-2008, 11:03 AM
ASV has several pattens on their undercarrage I think Cat is copying ASV?

Those are ASV's U/C's Cat buys them and put their serial numbers on them to make it easier for the parts guys to get the needed parts instead of cross referencing with ASV manuals and parts books.

Digdeep
03-05-2008, 11:18 AM
ASV's machines are built cheap, if you really like the U/C and their benefits, then you'll have to buy a new Cat MTL to really appreciate what a good skid steer with ASV U/C's can do for you, other wise, you're just wasting your time and money on their cheap machines.

I would disagree with you on this one. ASV and CAt share the same engines, same pilot control system, same hydraulic transmissions, same electrical switch manufacturer, same high flow load sensing pumps and of course the same undercarriages. Other than the cab, loader frame and chassis the machines have many similarities. I would say it is a stretch to say that their cabs, loader arms, or chassis are "cheap". I would understand it more if you said you thought the CAT cab was more "comfortable, roomier, quieter, had better visibility, etc."

john_bud
03-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey, these aren't hate messages, this is just my situation that feel others should be informed of. Only my first message was posted on other posts to reach more people.
what's your problem with that??????

When you dredge up archive messages from 1 or 2 YEARS ago and make generic negative comments, it makes YOU look like a troll. Especially as a new member when your first posts are all negative.

If you want to express your situation, start a new thread, outline your experience, attach some pictures, be objective and honest. There is no reason to connect your present situation with old news.

jb

tigerroze
03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I am new to all of this & the forum has helped very much. As for your name calling.....why are you even bothering to respond? ? sounds like you need some work! must be cabin fever? or I bet you're a Packers fan & need a new QB!

trailmaker
03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
About a year ago I inquired about skidsteers with cutter heads to a local dealer who sells both asv and Takeuchi. He recommended I go with TK for the reliability. He said the asv was a more capable machine only when used by larger operations that can do most of their own repairs. I thought it was noteworthy that the dealer was trying to talk me into the cheaper machine. If you end up in the worst case scenario of having to get a different machine look into TK. In the end I got a tb138 with a mower and I've had zero problems although I am an owner operator on my own land so I've been pretty careful.

tigerroze
03-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. The dealer let me use a Tk when the asv starters were burning up. It is a fine machine & I know of another grader that really likes his. I do agree it is SOLID & stout. Only problem I had was the track print, moving material on hard service(sod bounced off pallet).
As far as landscaping the asv is much smoother but I agree totally with the reliability of the tk. The TK also had tons more room & better 360 views also.
I took my ASV 70 back to the dealer today for 1 more try. I took the list that ausman sent, so they were going to put in new relays & check it out again.
So, I'm back to using old reliable......2000 New Holland ls 170 with the big galaxy tires. Glad I kept it!

Digdeep
03-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. The dealer let me use a Tk when the asv starters were burning up. It is a fine machine & I know of another grader that really likes his. I do agree it is SOLID & stout. Only problem I had was the track print, moving material on hard service(sod bounced off pallet).
As far as landscaping the asv is much smoother but I agree totally with the reliability of the tk. The TK also had tons more room & better 360 views also.
I took my ASV 70 back to the dealer today for 1 more try. I took the list that ausman sent, so they were going to put in new relays & check it out again.
So, I'm back to using old reliable......2000 New Holland ls 170 with the big galaxy tires. Glad I kept it!

Have you tried contacting the factory direct? I have called them before to check on an electrical adapter that would allow one of my Bobcat attachments to work on my RC50. I think they have a 1-800 number on their website and I know they have a link that you can contact them electronically.

mrsops
03-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Have you tried contacting the factory direct? I have called them before to check on an electrical adapter that would allow one of my Bobcat attachments to work on my RC50. I think they have a 1-800 number on their website and I know they have a link that you can contact them electronically.

thats cool digdeep that you were able to get your attachment to work on them.. i feel asv are built cheap as well when i demoed that rc-30 what ever its called everything was plastic and the parts just looked all around cheap all over the place the door handle to open the door looked like it came from a dollar store

tigerroze
03-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I called this summer when I wanted to know about the 4-1 bucket on the asv site a couple times & no one ever called back.

So I assumed I wouldn't get anyone & had to go through the dealer.
But it is a good idea to try again!
thanks

tigerroze
03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
oh yea, the mechanic at the dealer broke the plastic handle in the back the first time I took it in. The fuse/relay cover is even a cheaper piece of crap. It's really solid in other ways & you can't beat the clearance. Lots of power in tight areas. But why they put a few super cheap items on there.....who knows.

stuvecorp
03-05-2008, 09:45 PM
ASV may not be 'contractor' grade but our 30 has made us alot and dosen't owe me anything. You had a bad run but ASV has alot of good points.

74inchShovel
03-05-2008, 10:06 PM
ASV has the nich all to itself with the RC 30. Even with all the problems I've had I would buy the same machine again in a heartbeat. I would love to see Takeuchi come out with a TL 100. I think the market is there, for the RC 30 is a big seller for ASV.

stuvecorp
03-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Our 30 has been paid for and honestly don't think I would ever get rid of it but if a brand like the TK would come out with something in that class I would be in line for one.

Digdeep
03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
thats cool digdeep that you were able to get your attachment to work on them.. i feel asv are built cheap as well when i demoed that rc-30 what ever its called everything was plastic and the parts just looked all around cheap all over the place the door handle to open the door looked like it came from a dollar store

Yep. ASV gave me the part number for a pigtail to run my harley rake. there are a few things on my RC50 that I would like to see changed (rear window as standard would be nice) but I really don't think they are built cheap. I would definitely say they don't have all of the bells and whistles that some of the other companies have but they perform like no other in my opinion. ASV has just changed their door handles to one almost identical to CAT's (it may be the same) and it is solid. Speaking of plastic, they are no worse than some of the machines coming out now with these fancy cabs filled with plastic molding. The CAT lap bars in the C series kill me they feel like little flimsy swords that kids use.

BIGBEN2004
03-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Yep. ASV gave me the part number for a pigtail to run my harley rake. there are a few things on my RC50 that I would like to see changed (rear window as standard would be nice) but I really don't think they are built cheap. I would definitely say they don't have all of the bells and whistles that some of the other companies have but they perform like no other in my opinion. ASV has just changed their door handles to one almost identical to CAT's (it may be the same) and it is solid. Speaking of plastic, they are no worse than some of the machines coming out now with these fancy cabs filled with plastic molding. The CAT lap bars in the C series kill me they feel like little flimsy swords that kids use.

How reliable has your RC-50 been for you? I like the new PT-70. That is the correct letters wright PT? Anyways I feel the new series looks to be an improvement over the past series and now with Terex in the deal I feel their will be some bigger changes and improvements coming in their future.

Digdeep
03-06-2008, 11:07 AM
How reliable has your RC-50 been for you? I like the new PT-70. That is the correct letters wright PT? Anyways I feel the new series looks to be an improvement over the past series and now with Terex in the deal I feel their will be some bigger changes and improvements coming in their future.

It has been a very reliable machine for me so far. I bought it slightly used not long after I left the Bobcat dealership. I am going on 1900 hours and I have replaced all four rear idlers, the rear flood light, my bucket pins, an one of the front wheels. I think I have about another couple hundred hours out of the tracks but they are getting close to needing replacement. Compared to the Bobcat tracked machines I sold (over 200 of them) it has been a far better machine. It is fast, light, narrow, has lots of traction, and has plenty of ROC for my needs. of course I would love to get the new PT60 with the two speed (11mph) and the metal face seals but I can't justify it only doing landscaping and snow removal part time.

The PT70 looks like a good machine. Plenty of ROC and lift hight, still narrow, nicer cab, standard high flow, all metal face seals, and more hp.

I think the Terex deal will be a positive thing for ASV. I can imagine that it was a challenge for ASV being so small and competing with much larger OEMs like Bobcat, CAT, JD, Takeuchi, etc. Terex is big...$9 billion in 2007 and I'm surethey will put some push into R&D, financing, production and many other things.

rguetter
03-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi Guys,

I ended up buying the SR70 this past fall and have 30 hours on it already between moving some earth last fall and running a high flow brusher this winter clearing dear trails. The machine I have is new and includes the steel face plates, steel idler, and other updates like fuel fill, electronic changes, etc. The dealer I've been working with has also been good. I know there has been discussion regarding lack of power, but after I mentioned it to my salesman he talked to ASV and we've made some changes(very easy to do) to do a better job of balancing power with hydraulic flow for maneuvering. ASV knew of it and had an answer - supposedly makes a big difference. I can't compare to unmodified SR70 because we made changes before I started using it.

Its way too early to tell for sure yet, and I would like to have another year or two with it, but I have been extremely pleased with the machine. I can't believe how nicely it handles, even with the 1900 lb brusher on front. I've been in snow this winter and even with brusher on front it just walks across the top of snow. Its kind of funny to sink deeper in the snow than the machine when you need to get off and walk around.

I realize my comments may be a little biased given the hours on the machine and based on my understanding that this machine has many updates to issues mentioned here and there. I'll get back to you after I use it this next summer - I have lots of work to do with it. At this point I would highly recommend

-R