PDA

View Full Version : Advice welcomed

Tharrell
08-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Anybody have some ideas for this area, specifically the walkway?
I put a micro irrigation in but am waiting to finish the walk before hiding the tubing.

forestfireguy
08-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Whats the budget?, pavers come to mind. Maybe manufactured bluestone, it comes in all sorts of sizes.

Mike33
08-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Ask the paver guys there are some very prof. on this forum.
Mike

Tharrell
08-19-2006, 06:44 AM
I was thinking some sort of paver also. This is a really old restored cabin next door to me. I'm going to do it for the experience. My landlord owns both this and the house I live in next door.
Is there a paver that would fit in with an old cabin? Or some other type of stone? I'd appreciate any input from you paver and stone guys.
Here's a couple of other pics of the front. I gave the landlord some flowers left over from other jobs.

forestfireguy
08-19-2006, 07:38 PM
I'd go with the manufactured bluestone, they come in a variety of sizes and I think have a sort of classic, old look. The other option I see for this is a redish colored paver something tumbled, giving it a kind of worn look, this will blend nicelt with the brick under the porch. We use mostly techo pavers however they are a bit pricey, other manufacturers make similar products. One of my favorites in techo is the Elena series, 5 different sizes for a totally random pattern, something I think looks rustic in certain enviorments(like in front of a cabin). lastly I'd avoid a soldier course on this if using pavers it would look too finished. Also I personally am not a fan of straight runs, I don't know what your limits on space are but if possible maybe a curve.

The Yard Barber, Inc.
08-19-2006, 08:53 PM
maybe belgard oldcastle. or anything that is tumbled will add a lot of character and give the rustic look. You could do a solid walkway or, you sould leave some spacing and add some river rocks in between.

tthomass
08-20-2006, 12:39 AM
i would advise not using the river jack around a walk way........it doesn't stay put..........trip/ankle hassard

Mike33
08-21-2006, 08:25 PM
i would advise not using the river jack around a walk way........it doesn't stay put..........trip/ankle hassard
That is a very good point is sure does move and makes a terrible walk way.
Mike

hortiscape
08-23-2006, 08:20 PM
what about natural flagstone?. paver's, paver's, pavers.
Where are all the stone workers?

hortiscape
08-23-2006, 08:33 PM
No offense of course, you guys all do great work.
It's just that I rarely hear anybody talk much about natural stone.

forestfireguy
08-23-2006, 10:56 PM
My only thing about flagstone is $$$$$

patpls
08-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi Guys, natural stone probably the most rewarding material to lay, will good forever but just got to get the client to see it from that perspective. I really like clay pavers also, you know their going to look goood for decades. But $ usually win out so concrete is what normally gets installed. The advantage I sell with concrete is to let the client know that circles and inlays won't cost them anymore and will give the whole job that wow factor, all products can look great comes back to design and client letting you be creative.
Here's some NY Bluestone recently completed.

Kizzelwhix
08-27-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree with the natural flagstone idea. If you shop around enough $$$ shouldn't be an issue... I know a couple of 'places' around here where I could go with a pickup truck and mine my own flagstone...