PDA

View Full Version : how old can they be

rockytopp
08-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Howdy to all,
I would like to know if any one has had any exsperience with the Ford CL30 skid steer?? I have a chance to buy one, its in fair shape medium rubber, has the bucket and a set of forks, plus a back hoe bucket that digs only forward mounted where the front bucket goes,, raise it up and turn machine dump and then go back,,,the man said two feet deep is max, and you stradle the ditch,,,I know... weird huh? any way the rest seems to be ok, has had the engine replace with a four cyl. chev. 2.5 it would raise it up into the eighty hp. range or more.
He wants 2500.00 hundred for it,, just wondering if it would be worth it or is it to old, all of it seems tight (pins, and arms.) there are no leaks, fluid is clear and clean. I just want some input as to dependability and so forth, I don't know of any one that has one that I can check with.
Thanks so much for any information.

ksss
08-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Well you wont be running down to your local Ford skid steer dealer for parts. If you want something to tinker with 2500 seems cheap enough. If you were going to use it for commercial use I would pass. I don't know who made those machines and were you can get parts for them. A internet search may yield something. The deal with the engine being swapped out may make parts an even greater challenge. I guess it depends on how well he did the swap. The 2.5 was one of GMs better 4 cylinders. My issue would be if the rest of the machine can handle the increase in hp. I doubt that machine had 40 hp when new which means thats all the rest of the machine was speced for. Adding 80 hp to the that machine may be asking for a lot of problems. However, if you can turn a wrench it might be fun to play with.

Dirty Water
08-18-2006, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally built for Ford by New Holland.

GAskidsteer
08-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Actually, I was told by several knowledgeable skidsteer gurus, that the Ford loaders were designed by the same person(s) that now build Thomas skidsteers. Although, I believe they were working for Ford at the time. If you're going with an older machine, my personal choice would be Bobcat, as parts availability is virtually 100%. I have had no problems getting dealer parts for machines as far back as the 70's. I have bought,used and sold a number of the older Bobcats, and have been real pleased with them. Personally, I'm not too inclined to be held "hostage" by a dealer while I'm making payments too. I'll make repairs or make payments, but I'm not doing both at the same time. Just depends on how high your tolerance level is for aggravation, I guess. In all fairness though, if you plan to run a lot of attachments, the older machines unfortunately don't have sufficient aux. hydraulic flow. However, the 1845C Case might. Don't know for sure. The Case guys on here could probably answer that. What do you plan to use this machine for ?

rockytopp
08-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the information, I will just use it around the homestead as a toy more than any thing. no major jobs of any type, just have use for some bucket and lifting jobs that my back won't do any more. perhaps some moveing of dirt piles from here to yon.

GAskidsteer
08-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi Rockytopp,
Are you telling us you have already bought it ? If not, I meant to add in my post that KSSS made some very good points, in particular, the level of professionalism that was put into the swap. Having done a number of repowers on old trucks, I can tell you from experience that, at some point, in order to "bridge the gap", some parts have to be machined to certain specs, which are unique to that particular conversion. And, as he also pointed out, the rest of the machine was specced for that particular HP rating, pump shafts, sprockets, roller chains, pump speed, etc. It can be a very difficult thing to "redesign and remanufacture" any machine. Things tend to get out of sync. I really feel that this particular unit would just bring on a lot of headaches and possibly unsolvable problems. But, hey, it's your dime, not ours. You can pick up an older Bobcat for probably about this much, maybe less, say an M700,720, or 722. While it may require repairs, when you finish, you will have something with resale appeal, if you should decide to sell/trade, etc. The M700/720 both have the VH4D Wisconsin aircooled engine, the 722 has a Ford water cooled engine. The 721 has an aircooled Deutz, but not too popular. Those are all hydrostatic drives, about 30HP, and have a lifting capacity of about 1100#'s, perfect for what you want, and all parts readily available, as well as repair manuals, etc. Also they have the Quik-tach 2 pin system, which allows you to use various implements. With about 4300 -4500#'s of drive pressure, they can do some work, especially around the home/farm. Fairly easy to work on, well, at least as far as skidsteers are concerned !! LOL. But, whatever you decide to do, post your results with this machine. Who knows, maybe somebody has built a better mousetrap!! It is always a possibility. Just my .02.

Thanks,
John

rockytopp
08-27-2006, 02:40 AM
thanks John, I have not put any money on it as yet. It is hanging at this time.
I have looked them up and the only ones I saw was priced at over four grand.
To me this says, yup good resale, but then they was complete and running, this one is not, the man took the engine out of a boat and it still has the wet manifold on it and of course it leaks water in and out of the motor, so I told him I would try and find a conventional manifold, this town where I live has a dozen scrap yards and no one has a manifold.... this means I would have to replace the motor with one that is more compatible, how ever he has the original wisconsin but it has internal problems, also he has a diesel four cyl. that he had in it untill the bolts came loose and wallowed out the crank. so basicaly I would be buying a dead horse, as far as a working unit. This basicaly is my situation as it stands now. my cash looks better all the time. and then there is the fact that this is the only machine I have found that was in my buying range. I tried to trade my forklift and old farm tractor to the local new holland dealer and his machines is worth gold and mine is junk, same old story,of course till he gets mine then its great. ah well. I thank you for your wise input on this,. Paul

RedWolf
08-28-2006, 06:33 PM
If your good with your hands you can get that old wisconsin going.It takes me about 2 hours to rebuild one and the bast thing is if the jugs are shot you can change them.I have an old 65 hp wisconsin in my bobcat.the old 30 was just so bad it was not worth repair. I would try to find a used bobcat or case.I would stay away from that ford.My buddy has one and its been really hard to find parts.

janb
08-29-2006, 03:02 PM
... I have not put any money on it as yet. It is hanging at this time.
... so basicaly I would be buying a dead horse, .... my cash looks better all the time. ...

good idea, things usually look better from a distance, and hang onto that CASH

I'd say scrap metal $$ + whatever you are willing to gamble (in case you can't get it improved, or it breaks big time...) I found it best to diligently shop for 'name-brand', as you are less likely to end up with a 'white-elephant'.

for occasional use, renting is a good option, especially if you have a rental prop, or someway you can use the rental to 'write-off' an occasional expense.

I'd be :walking:

GAskidsteer
08-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Redwolf,
What series Bobcat are you running with this 65hp Wisconsin ? Tell us about it, if you would.

John

rockytopp
08-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Hey Gang,, Are you all ready for this?
Well I now have a LC-30 Ford paid for. I know some do not agree with me on the purchase but shucks every one has diffrent taste. I will bring it home in the morning. I got with it as usefull things, factory forks,front bucket of course, a backhoe type bucket that will allow me to dig two foot deep. a four cyl Diesel motor, the original Wisconsin,(not running) and complete good working main pump with all the hose's. I am pleased with the deal but may be sorry if I end up needing another complete engine. Does any one have an idea of which engine I should look for or use if I should have to look?? I would like a three cyl diesel if possible but it may be out of my price range, I am very handi with tools and have a good shop with welders and torch,plasma, and all of the nececary hand tools to do most any thing and have done lots of fabrication all my life. being retired is not all its thought to be by some. We are free from debt and at our age do not wish to do so again, so its cash or we don't buy. It some times takes longer but when it comes home its ours.
I thank all of you out there for helping and talking about these things, We are not alone and help is a shout away.. thanks again,, Oh yes talked to the friendly Ford dealer and was told parts are availible and some in stock and most can be ordered, no charge to order and once in the while a small freight charge would be added.this helped me decide to try it and hopfully get it back together and use it.. Paul