PDA

View Full Version : newbie with pics of my setup

Echelon
08-18-2006, 02:09 AM
hello all, been in the industry now for ten or so years one way or another. have got a good background for this type of business. hope to do well over the next couple seasons and grow. id say my biggest weakness at this point would be the business end of the self employment, but i hope to learn alot through research, experience, and advice. ive got patience and a little tucked away for mistakes.

ive been reading through the forum and i found a ton of negative comments on a machine i just bought. apparently this is the dreaded sutech 33:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/stussels/HPIM0395.jpg

i havent used it enough yet to form my own opinion but it seemed ok when i did use it. it was bought for gated yards. the clutch needs feathered when turning but when you do it turns easy. and it does have band brakes. just need more time with it to see what wears out when.

all accounts i service are residential and not more than an acre. fall is coming up quick so ive got this machine being delivered next week:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/stussels/0c_3.jpg

its a ransomes zt120, or my econo-walker as i like to call it. i used walkers at the mowing company i worked for and did their leaf collection route. worked slick so i hope this is likewise. couldnt find any info on one of these good or bad. anyone know about it? im stoked for fall with that machine. best of all, when its full ill back it up on here, dump and head back out:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/stussels/3c9da708.jpg

its old but its a tractor. 6.5 I-6 diesel w/ allison 4spd auto trans. lots of room and turns on a dime. i do mostly landscape maintenance and its a great platform to work out of. 16k lb. gvwr so ill never stress it with what i do. doesnt smoke or use oil and its got 260k on it. exhaust smells rich when first started but once its up to temp its nice and clean. its got ac that turns on, just doesnt blow cold. maybe just a recharge?

anyhow, if yall know anything about the ransomes or the truck let me know what you think. i already know the general opinion of the sutech around here:)

Liquidfast
08-18-2006, 02:27 AM
I'd have to say that you have got a pro set-up going on. Some argue that it would be better to mow outta your trunk when starting but I tend to think big myself. Your good to go. As far as the Sutech, I got it. I like it for what its worth and it does a fairly decent job. Of all my equipment, the Sutech has yet to fail me.

The truck is pimp, no doubt. You will be haulin a*ss this fall. I gotta look into one of those myself.

I say 9 outta 10. I would have given a 9.5 but the grass catcher on the Sutech ruined it for me.\\:clapping:

stuffdeer
08-18-2006, 02:35 AM
I am surprised no one has replied to this thread. I really like your set up. It looks nice, and is better than what I have...But hey, I'm only 15.

stuffdeer
08-18-2006, 02:43 AM
Oh yeah, Would you mind telling me where you bought the 33"? I am in the market for a Sutech.

waffletown20
08-18-2006, 02:46 AM
That setup looks great! Working for that lawn company probably helped you choose out such nice equipment.

TheLawnBarber
08-18-2006, 03:10 AM
Nice setup man!!!:) That truck looks pretty radical.

tacoma200
08-18-2006, 04:03 AM
You'll do fine. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Read this forum long enough and you'll find negative comments on everything so I wouldn't let that bother you.

AL Inc
08-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Looks like a great start for you. I'm surprised that truck has 260K..looks new. Good luck with your business.

WJW Lawn
08-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Im really digging the truck!! Very very nice!

CutInEdge Lawn Care
08-18-2006, 08:47 AM
How does the better half feel? Nice set-up. Now get to work!!!!

martinfan06
08-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Looks like an awsome set-up to start out with hopfully not to deep in debt :cry:..........

Mowing Freak
08-18-2006, 10:13 AM
I have Walker mowers and have looked at a bobcat bagger like you have and the one I looked at didn't have an alarm on it to tell you when the bag was full like the walker does so that scared me a little. When the walker plugs, it isn't fun to clean out. There are things I liked about the bobcat better than the walker and vis-versa. I think it you took the best parts from both mowers and mixed them, you would have a almost bullet proof bagging mower.

z_clark
08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Nice set up!

Is that I Kawasaki Vulcan I see under the motorcycle cover??? :dancing:

DodgeTruckMan731
08-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Very nice set up, i love the truck.

Echelon
08-18-2006, 07:01 PM
an alarm on it to tell you when the bag was full like the walker does so that scared me a little. When the walker plugs, it isn't fun to clean out.
yeah, the walker i used didnt have the alarm but i could tell it was full by the sound it made when full. it did clog sometimes but i had my "deck stick" for loosening up the intake and my green hand for the rest of the system.
this bobcat has a bigger engine than the walker i used and a smaller deck so hopefully it wont be as prone to clogging.

Echelon
08-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Nice set up!

Is that I Kawasaki Vulcan I see under the motorcycle cover??? :dancing:
no, thats my honda cb-1. its a naked 400 inline four cylinder and it wails like a banshee.

Echelon
08-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Looks like an awsome set-up to start out with hopfully not to deep in debt :cry:..........
i have less than 12k in everything ive got. snatched the truck up on ebay for 4k!!! put another grand in it to get it right before i put it on the road. made me sick to pay as much for my riding mower:dizzy:

Echelon
08-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Oh yeah, Would you mind telling me where you bought the 33"? I am in the market for a Sutech.
i bought the sutech secondhand but i believe it was bought new at a dealer in wickliffe ohio. cant recall the dealer name right now though, sorry.

Echelon
08-18-2006, 07:18 PM
That setup looks great! Working for that lawn company probably helped you choose out such nice equipment.
not really, having some dough to spend on it did though:) after high school i went to college at OSU/ATI for turf mgt. after that i worked at three high end country clubs in ohio, florida, and north carolina. used to run a $65k toro fairway mower in florida:p anyhow, the golf courses get you familiar with many makes of equipment and types. ive run machines i didnt even know existed till i worked for them.

what the lawn company did do is make me realize i could do it myself. :)

Echelon
08-18-2006, 07:25 PM
How does the better half feel? Nice set-up. Now get to work!!!!
my better half...lets see...that would be my right, and it feels fine about it.:)
actually im not married but i do have a longtime girlfriend who may as well be my wife:hammerhead: she doesnt give a damn what i do really. well she might but she knows its my money and as long as i take her out every now and again and get her something shiny every few years shes ok with it:p

LindblomRJ
08-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Nice setup. I think you will do well.

Echelon
08-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Nice setup. I think you will do well.
thanks you guys for the kind words. it does somehow help me mentally to know how other likeminded individuals feel and that they are supportive of my efforts. thanks again all for your input and encouragement:)

mowmasteruk
08-27-2006, 05:34 PM
its a ransomes zt120, or my econo-walker as i like to call it. i used walkers at the mowing company i worked for and did their leaf collection route. worked slick so i hope this is likewise. couldnt find any info on one of these good or bad. anyone know about it? im stoked for fall with that machine. best of all, when its full ill back it up on here, dump and head back out:
anyhow, if yall know anything about the ransomes or the truck let me know what you think. i already know the general opinion of the sutech around here:)
Ransomes was an old British manufacturer, made their name with sportsgound machinery, merged with Jacobsen and are now part of the American Textron group. The zero-turn you have is available here in Britain, but has not been taken up widely by the small contractors who prefer the smaller w.b. mowers and conventional riders with grass collection. In Britain they are mainly in use with larger local authority and sportsground contractors.

J&R Landscaping
08-28-2006, 02:34 PM
That truck is awsome and should serve you well! Good luck to you!

Lawn Enforcer
08-28-2006, 03:26 PM
How long is the landscape bed? Also, is that an Izuzu or GMC/Chevy?

Echelon
08-28-2006, 04:47 PM
How long is the landscape bed? Also, is that an Izuzu or GMC/Chevy?
thanks guys, the bed on the truck is 12x7. its an isuzu, built in japan, labeled as a GMC Forward 5000. just hauled six yards of topsoil 20 miles with it on the highway no sweat.

ive got the ransomes now and after using it i find it just doesnt have the responsiveness of the walkers through the hydros. could be the walkers geardriven pumps vs. the ransomes belts. could be the pumps themselves...
also, and i knew this, but there is no single forward control like the walker. this makes keeping it straight a chore. hope to "get used to it".

spoke with the local bobcat dealer and he told me to sell it NOW. said "that mower gave bobcat a blackeye". it sure hasnt won me over yet but ill wait till after fall to pass judgement on it. there are definately more belts in there than id like to see. just have to order a set to be ready for it.

South Florida Lawns
08-28-2006, 10:31 PM
I like that Ransomes looks just like the walkers and eXmarks.

I may go to that style of mower next, the only thing is the price.

KrayzKajun
01-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Really like the truck!!

GreenN'Clean
01-22-2007, 03:26 PM
very nice truck