PDA

View Full Version : Work Gloves.....

forestfireguy
08-18-2006, 08:44 PM
After running through light work gloves, even the "extra tough" ones and finding the heavy leather gauntlet style too cumbersome for good manual dexterity I'm curious what do you use? Seems like duct tape on the finger tips lasts longer than a pair of gloves, pavers and block are brutal, any thoughts?

Splicer
08-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Goat skin gloves @ SAMS CLUB...

TriCountyLawn
08-18-2006, 09:16 PM
The Knit gloves with the blue rubber palm and fingers has out last any expensive pair of glove I have ever got.

GreenMonster
08-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Atlas latex dipped. They make thermal ones for early/late season too.

www.landscaperpro.com

forestfireguy
08-18-2006, 09:21 PM
we supply them to all of our H2 workers, but my problem with the latex dipped is the latex I'm allergic, I tried to get away with the dipped ones but saw my hands glowing red that same afternoon after only a couple hours of use. I really am not much of a fan of gloves but as said earlier cement products are brutal.

Splicer
08-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Goat skin gloves @ SAMS Club...2 pair package under $20.00...They have test fit gloves...I recommend you at least try a pair on before dismissing them completely...

richallseasons
08-19-2006, 12:30 AM
The Knit gloves with the blue rubber palm and fingers has out last any expensive pair of glove I have ever got.

I second that, a pair of these gloves will outlast any other 10 to 1 at least and they come in both a summer and a winter style.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
08-19-2006, 12:33 AM
i got a pair or carhart gloves the other day. I haven't used them but the look like they could withstand a beating. They were 21.95. They fit like golf gloves, and are supposed to keep your hands warm.

adam

leadarrows
08-19-2006, 12:42 AM
I buy those plastic dot gloves at Gas America for .99 cents a pair. I get 20 pair at a time and just use a new pair every day. If I need to I use 2 pair a day. For 99 cents you can't go wrong. Same gloves are $2.50 at wally world.

I do keep a pair or two of the leather kind around for thorny plant or barbed wire work.

Rex Mann
08-19-2006, 01:38 AM
You guys are joking about wearing gloves...Right?
Why would you need to wear gloves, unless it's cold or
your doing greasy/dirty work.

Peace,

Rex

http://ArizonaPavers.Com

elshauno
08-19-2006, 02:10 AM

Peace,

Rex

Some people like me have sensitive skin to stuff like motor oil and dirt. I get excema from exposure to stuff like that. Cracked bloody hands hurts like a *****. It doesn't mean we cant do the work we just dont have as resilient skin so we take precation against it.

paponte
08-19-2006, 07:57 AM
We use the Atlas rubber palms also. While on the subject of gloves and sensitive hands, how many use a wet saw for cutting? Anyone get the old "been in the tub too long" pruned fingers effect after doing cuts all day? Happened to a new guy a couple of weeks ago, kept telling him to put a pair of gloves on. His fingertips were bleeding my the end of the day, and they had holes in them. Amazing what people are willing to go through before they listen. :dizzy:

GreenMonster
08-19-2006, 06:19 PM

Peace,

Rex

Hey Rex, some of actually use our hands for more than just pointing to a cube of pavers and telling someone to start layin' em :)

Dirty Water
08-19-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't wear gloves often, but when I do, I usually wear those knit dipped gloves that are really cheap.

forestfireguy
08-19-2006, 08:17 PM
I have started wearing heavy rubber gloves when making lots of cuts, the chemical resistant ones, apparently they are not latex. They are big enough to slide on and off in a second and give what I think is a better grip on pavers than skin. I try to line up several cuts to make it worth changing gloves or even sometimes just duct tape my finger tips and throw the gloves on over them. When possible I try to have my guys make cuts while I'm doing something else but it's not always possible.

Dirty Water
08-20-2006, 12:51 AM
I have started wearing heavy rubber gloves when making lots of cuts, the chemical resistant ones, apparently they are not latex. They are big enough to slide on and off in a second and give what I think is a better grip on pavers than skin. I try to line up several cuts to make it worth changing gloves or even sometimes just duct tape my finger tips and throw the gloves on over them. When possible I try to have my guys make cuts while I'm doing something else but it's not always possible.

When I used to do concrete work, I wore similar gloves when pouring. Kinda like Dish washing gloves on steriods.

Pavers Plus
08-21-2006, 11:34 AM
http://www.wondergloves.com/prod01WG.htm

Pavers Plus
08-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Also, if some chinese girl (with her father that does not speak a lick of english) tries to sell you gloves, they are no good. We found out after we bought 600 red dipped gloves @ $0.25 each. Was a good deal until I tested a pair out and they lasted about 20 minutes of laying pavers at a friends house. Now they are give-away gloves to homeowners.

stick with the wondergloves or Atlas

DALMlawn&landscaping
08-25-2006, 01:28 AM
i thought i was the only one who like those gloves at sam's. they're my favorite, and of course they're high quality goat leather. i seem to wear the finger tips out kinda fast like a month or so, but you can beat the "feel" you get with them. i've worked on ranches and there's nothing better, and i've done tree trimmin and theres nothing better, and i've done landscaping, theres nothing better, just be sure to get a size or two smaller cause they sure do break in better that way. its kinda funny working with expensive breeding goats with goat skin gloves... egh, oh well. anyways, they're called Plainsman and they used to be sponsored by Justin leather back in the day, the one thing i like esp. about them in the thicker palm reinforced area, good for throwing a breaker bar or t-post driver, even just plain ol rakin, but dang they come in handy if you've got to be dealing with rock, lots of rock, lots of softball and football sized limestone and other Texas Hill Country rock. i also found girls like it when their man comes home sweaty and dirty and a pocket full of money but they seems not to be so interested in a massage if your hands have peeling blisters and cuts and gouges with a few thorns and cactus needles in the mix. anyways, in a bind, duct tape and electric tape works well too....

lawncuttinfoo
06-22-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm getting sick of the HD and menards "heavy dury" leather gloves tearing a seam in the fingers every other week, up until this year $10 gloves would last 2 years each now they last 2 weeks, I'm not working THAT much more.

where can I find quality leathergloves these days?

ChampionLS
06-22-2007, 01:50 AM
We use the Atlas rubber palms also. While on the subject of gloves and sensitive hands, how many use a wet saw for cutting? Anyone get the old "been in the tub too long" pruned fingers effect after doing cuts all day? Happened to a new guy a couple of weeks ago, kept telling him to put a pair of gloves on. His fingertips were bleeding my the end of the day, and they had holes in them. Amazing what people are willing to go through before they listen. :dizzy:

Solution!:
Throw that circulating pump away, and use fresh water with every cut!.
In one of these threads I posted where to buy a water solenoid valve through McMaster-Carr supply and it will turn on/off your fresh water supply so you don't need to keep re-circulating Acidity finger eating water.

hamsey
06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Latex gloves here!

zedosix
06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
http://www.wondergloves.com/prod01WG.htm

How long do they last when laying brick.

n2h20
06-23-2007, 05:12 PM
christy's (like the blue glue) makes a pair of gloves.. that are pretty nice. fit well and i can still use my fingertips pretty well.

I dont know how long they would last on bricks and block all day.. but im sure a few weeks.
I use them for building my ponds and all plumbing, digging, dirty work, with no prioblems... \

I got them wet and the figertips came unstitched...
15 bucks.