PDA

View Full Version : vehicle situation, input appreciated

mcwlandscaping
08-19-2006, 01:24 AM
i get my license in three weeks and my parents and i would like to have a vehicle for me so when i get the license, i can stop having parents taking me to my jobs or having to go with me. My dad has always said that i could have his suburban when i turned 16, it is in prestine condition and i love it. But, im not sure that's what i want. I mean, ill be plowing with it and doing everything else and plowing with something like that wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world, but, the suburban does have its upsides.

positives:
-free from dad
-if i go that direction, ill have enough money to buy a new landscape trailer and dump trailer if i want to (i need at least a new landscape trailer)
-it can easily handle a plow
-no work needed at all on the thing, amazing condition for its age and like i said above i love the truck
-im very used to driving it so i think i would be fine plowing in it
-the back i can use to keep equipment dry in so i don't have to unpack and repack everynight after cleanups (keep blowers, rakes and tarps safely in the back)

negatives:
-i'm just not sure that's what i want despite the fact that it does fit my needs and quite a bit of my wants
-the damn radio only works on one station (lol, just so happens to be my favorite)
-plowing can be a pita with something that is so boxed in like that, harder to see when compared to plowing in a pickup truck
-will probably be a pita to mount my lightbar to the truck
-it may look kinda funky plowing in it even though ive seen it done

i dunno, can someone else give some opinion on this issue, ide plan on buying a truck next year for sure if i went the route of taking dads suburban. I would just use it for the next 3/4 of a year to really really build business and save a ton of money since ill have all the things i need to just make money instead of needing something. I do need a new landscape trailer and going the route of taking dads suburban would get it sooner and then i won't have to worry about weather or not we are going to have a profitable winter to save for one with.

if anyone needs any other info or has questions about my situation, plz ask, i really want some opinions on this issue.

Scag48
08-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Free is free, take the vehicle and use what you have. You're lucky your parents are giving you anything, I had to buy my first truck.

Randy J
08-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Free is free, take the vehicle and use what you have. You're lucky your parents are giving you anything, I had to buy my first truck.

Amen! Go for free. Save your money. When you have enough sell the surburban and buy a pickup.

Ferdelance
08-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Take the free suburban and save the rest of the money for college.

TWUllc
08-19-2006, 11:44 AM

There's your answer.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Take the free Surburban and use it......there are no quarentee that it will snow.... but it seems it always does in the northeast.

Do you allready own a plow?, If not then buy a plow and get it paid for 1st and use any money you make to put down on a truck later. The plow can always be moved to another truck at a later time.

wayne

jazak
08-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Take it and trade it in on a new or used full size 4x4 truck.

LindblomRJ
08-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Take it. The price is right.

Petr51488
08-19-2006, 03:38 PM
That truck wont be so pristine once you start using it for work.. trust me..

mcwlandscaping
08-19-2006, 05:17 PM
That truck wont be so pristine once you start using it for work.. trust me..
It was a work truck for five years where my dads work before my dad bought it from his boss. As long as you take care of your work truck, you can keep it looking and running great. He works as a land surveyor so it hauled quite a bit of weight in it constantly over those years and was drivin in some pretty serrious conditions (fun though!). Even work vehicles can stay looking good if you take care of them and don't just throw things in them and are careful.

I'm still considering my options, if i took the suburban, it would make it so my dad would have to find another vehicle and i really would feel bad about doing that. I have a few other trucks im going to be looking at this week that i really like so, if those are as good as they look, then ill probably buy a truck.

Scag48
08-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Well don't change the story on us, you said your parents didn't have a problem giving it to you. Simply put, if they give you the suburban, take it. If not, buy a beater truck.

mcwlandscaping
08-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Well don't change the story on us, you said your parents didn't have a problem giving it to you. Simply put, if they give you the suburban, take it. If not, buy a beater truck.
dad would give it to me happily, but i know what would happen afterwards, and that's something i wouldn't do to him.........buying a beater truck really would take away from the professional image im trying to create here.

mike lane lawn care
08-19-2006, 08:39 PM
okay, i just went through this.

I was offered my mom's 95 corolla,free, and free insurance. and then would use dad's Jeep to tow. not what i wanted, even though the corolla had great gas mileage and is in great shape. I chose to buy my own, i bought a 2000 Chevy astro van(big van not a mini-van) While using the jeep was cheaper, i wanted something that was mine.

This is turning out to be the best decision i have ever made, i used it to tow today and it was like the trailer wan't there. A suburban is a great truck, big and powerful. If it is in good shape then take it, how old is it? how many miles? if it is really old, then see if you can sell his suburban and use it towards a used pickup.

all in all, free is free, but there is that certain feeling in getting your own truck, but if this is the only feasible option don't hesitate.

mcwlandscaping
08-19-2006, 10:18 PM
mike, buying my own truck is totally feasible, im paying cash for whatever truck i buy, but, this was just one option that i had. Im way leaning for my own truck, I'll feel so so so much better about it

mike lane lawn care
08-19-2006, 11:22 PM
another thing to look for when you look at used trucks, if you so choose to. Buying from an owner is cheaper, and often times the owner is very straight up about any problems. buying from a dealer gives you a warranty, but they know very little about that truck's past. take it to an authorized mechanic when you think you've found the one and spend about $75 to have him put it on the lift and run it arounf the block.

You need to look for things that might need to be done (brakes, belts..) check the fluids, if the oil is really black, then it might have been a while since an oil change, indicating lack of care. See if there is the right amount of coolant in the radiator, check all levels. start the truck, see if it smokes, see if any fluids drip from the tail pipe.

A guy who looked at my astro, actrualy smelled all the fluids to see if they were pure. look at the under side, is there anything that is rusted out? check out it's blue book value, and get an insurance quote.

by the way what is your Max price you can spend, if you don't mind me asking

Scag48
08-19-2006, 11:31 PM
buying from a dealer gives you a warranty

Buying a truck from a dealer in this price range only guarantees that you've paid about 25% more than the truck is worth privately. In the very cheap range of $5K trucks, do yourself a favor and buy private party and just be smart about what you're buying. Dealers don't have warranties on this stuff, you only get that when you're in the nearly new category.

mcwlandscaping
08-19-2006, 11:31 PM
im only going to be spending up to $7k on a truck right now (cash) since i want a plow and dump insert as well for it, ide be paying cash on those as well. the great thing is, is that the trucks that im looking at (96-97 chevy/GMC 3/4 tons) are my absolute favorite trucks and there are several right around here for sale for $5-$6k in good condition.

mike lane lawn care
08-20-2006, 12:26 AM
sounds like you have made up your mind and done your research. make a selection and don't second guess your self. if you doo your homework on and test out all of your choices, you will be able to make a purchase with great sucess.

GOOD LUCK

mcwlandscaping
08-20-2006, 12:33 AM
thanks mike, really appreciate it, i plan on picking out a truck within the next week/week and a half, i have several new options to choose from (tan truck, diesel, and a one ton SRW that is for sale locally). Just have to look at the +'s and -'s of each and see which one comes out on top!

murray83
08-20-2006, 08:22 AM
7 grand on a plow truck? i dunno......

you have to think,plowing takes a toll on your truck over time even on 3/4 tons,add the fact as you seen last year northeast winters can make or break you.

mcwlandscaping
08-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Just bought a truck!!!! look in "what do you think of these two trucks" thread. I bought the tan one. Got it for $4500!! Awsome truck!

South Florida Lawns
08-21-2006, 12:29 AM
You could always mount the dump insert on the roof of the burban, then tow the dump trailer with another insert in that.

Then who knows the world is yours with that pimpin setup:laugh: .

People will remember that rig for ever and ever.