PDA

View Full Version : Help with Pool Pavers

PerfiCut L&L
08-20-2006, 09:44 AM
We've been laying paver walkways, patios and retaining walls for a while now and would like to start looking into pools. I realise their are special considerations to take when doing a pool patio job, and was looking for some advise and or tips.

Also, looking for some literature or links pertaining to pool patio installs. Trying to get as much information as possible before we take on a job like this.

Theres a lot of experience here and am I'm looking for any help you can offer.

mrusk
08-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Hardest part of a pool deck is making sure the pattern line sup right when you come around that 4th side of the pool!!! I just did my first pool deck out of EP Henry Devon stone. It was pretty stressful untill i had the pool deck all layed.

Remember to run lots of string lines!

DVS Hardscaper
08-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Also, try not to fall in the water. You'll get wet.

YardPro
08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
we do about 5 decks per year.
1/2 of our business is pool service, so we really know the details of the pool.

if it is a commercial pool ( home owners association, condo, etc.) it is regulated by the local environmental health dept. you should contact your regulating body before you begin to make sure you conform to the proper building codes.

also you will have wells to anchor the ladders, these need to be bonded (connected by a bare copper ground wire then to a grounding rod). the areas in front of the skimmers are only plastic, and will not support the weight of pavers and traffic over them.... we pour concrete in that area.

Mrusk is correct. the connecting point can be a pita. we get around this by incorperating circle kits in the pool decks, or other accent bands, etc...

this can hide where the lines don't exactly match. the customers like it better with these "design" elements. We don't tell them why we put them in...

it costs us less to add a full circle kit and not have to worry about bond lines as much than it does to be so critical about the bond lines matching...

if you HAVE to match everything up, begin on a short side, run out the full width of the pool, go around both short sides, then run a two foot wide strip down the last side and meet it up... this will allow you to do any adjusting you need as you work the rest of the fiels down and around.

also remember to run string lines across the pool to keep bond lines straight across the pool... this helps keep everything square

PerfiCut L&L
08-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks Yardpro, lots of good tips and info their.

What do you do for those pools that already have a concrete skirt all the way around?

DVS Hardscaper
08-21-2006, 09:47 AM
If concrete is already in place, there are a few different variables, so there may be different answers.

If the pool is vinyl, we leave the concrete slab in place. You need a coping to retain the pavers around the perimeter of the pool. To create a coping you can:

a) Buy Coping Pavers (Techo-bloc has a nice coping paver, and Nicoloc has a nice coping paver that resembles a traditional pool coping (bowed ends).
b) Use a retaining wall cap to create a coping
c) Use square or retangular flagstone mortared to the concrete

personally, I perfer using flagstone to create a coping. I like the natural look. Although it is expensive and may ybe cost prohibitive for the client.

We then apply bedding sand over the existing concrete slab, and lay pavers.

In most cases, the pool decking will be larger than the existing concrete slab. We then work the extended area just as we would for a new patio from scratch. (See link)

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/Idle-ours/Paver-Swimming-Pool-1lg.jpg

Pavers Plus
08-21-2006, 11:22 AM
MAKE SURE YOU SLOPE THE DECKING AWAY FROM THE POOL!!!!! sounds crazy, but alot of companies don't understand you have to drain away from the pool (and the house)......

I always design decorative paver bands around the pool so as not to worry about bond lines. It also allows me to change the direction of the paver pattern to create more interest in areas.

Make sure you know what type of pool you are working around ahead of time, ie: fiberglass pools, vinyl liner pools, Gunite pools, etc..... as each has it's own issues and you will need to design/bid/build appropriately.

YardPro
08-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks Yardpro, lots of good tips and info their.

What do you do for those pools that already have a concrete skirt all the way around?

most all of our redo's are commercial, so we have to tear out all the old concrete.

in NC you cannot have more than 8 inches from the top edge of the coping to the average water level, so we cannot do an overlay...

also all of our pools are either shotcrete ot fiberglass, so i can't help much with a liner pool, as we will not work on those.

DVS Hardscaper
08-21-2006, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=Pavers Plus]MAKE SURE YOU SLOPE THE DECKING AWAY FROM THE POOL!!!!! sounds crazy, but alot of companies don't understand you have to drain away from the pool (and the house)......]

ha ha!