PDA

View Full Version : My newest toy

grassmanvt
08-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Thought I'd throw on a picture of my new toy, a 00' cat d-3 hystat. Didn't really need it but couldn't pass it up for the price.

BSDeality
08-20-2006, 11:14 PM
this and the new kubota enclosed cab? did you hit the lotto?

grassmanvt
08-20-2006, 11:37 PM
this and the new kubota enclosed cab? did you hit the lotto?

Well, in addition to the mowing/plowing, I started buying and selling equipment as a bit of a hobby although lately its been a little excessive. Currently, I've got two tractors, a cat skidsteer, two dozer's, a screening plant, a 3-5 ton roller, a morbark chipper, and just picked up a yamaha raptor the other day. It's been a decent year and I've been saving my pennies. Its almost time to start moving some iron though.

bbailey
08-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Hey grassman, hows the screen been working out? Nice dozer!:drinkup:

grassmanvt
08-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Hey grassman, hows the screen been working out? Nice dozer!:drinkup:

Thanks. The screener is awesome, screened out all of what I wanted to do, I actually think i've already got it sold though. I have been toying with the idea of buying another higher produvtion unit and doing some custom screening. Any idea what the average going rate on screening per yard is?

Scag48
08-21-2006, 01:39 AM
Man, I'd love a D3. I don't know what I'd do with one, but it would be fun to drive around the property with. Actually if I had a dozer, maybe a D5H, I could be busy working for the US Forest Service all summer cutting firebreaks, but maybe in a few years. We have a 105,000 acre fire going on right now about 50 miles from here, they have 45 dozers designated to the fire at this point. I'd LOVE to get in on some of that govt. action, it's big money.

gammon landscaping
08-21-2006, 10:40 PM
fire lines... good way to lose a machine. i'd rather have one repo'd at least you don't have to haul it of that way

a friend of mine bought a d3 and guess what it was missing,??? grease fittings, that's right no grease zerks....i guess that is cats way of selling more bushings

cddva
08-22-2006, 12:17 AM
OK, I'm jealous. Since you don't really need it, how soon can you deliver it to my house for a great price?! Actually, not sure what I'd do with it since I couldn't haul it........then again my bud with the dump truck could probably haul it for a reasonable fee.......of course I do have a hankering for a mini-ex too.......so much equipment, so little time!;)

Scag48
08-22-2006, 12:27 AM
fire lines... good way to lose a machine. i'd rather have one repo'd at least you don't have to haul it of that way

Yeah, making $5-6K a day when the machine is working is terrible. The machines sit on call at $1500 a day until there is a fire. Terrible way to go. :rolleyes: If you're out there doing it, just be smart about what you're doing. The USFS isn't going to put you in danger of losing your life to fire, you're at your own mercy cutting line.

bbailey
08-22-2006, 09:58 AM
That is a good question grassman. How much to charge per hour for screening? Maybe start a thread here and see what you get for responses. I don't know what you would charge for a custom service like that and I cannot recall anyone around here advertising for it.:confused:

jazak
08-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks. The screener is awesome, screened out all of what I wanted to do, I actually think i've already got it sold though. I have been toying with the idea of buying another higher produvtion unit and doing some custom screening. Any idea what the average going rate on screening per yard is?

Around here its about $30-$40 per yd of topsoil depending on screen size, so its got to be close. The morbark that you have what model, ext is it and do you want to sell it? Nice dozer.

grassmanvt
08-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Around here its about $30-$40 per yd of topsoil depending on screen size, so its got to be close. The morbark that you have what model, ext is it and do you want to sell it? Nice dozer.

Did you mean 3-4 dollars per yard to screen or do you mean that the price for screened topsoil is 30-40? I am actually curious to find a number for dollars per yard screened, or per hour screening price to see if its worth it. As far as the chipper, its the eager beaver model, not sure on the number designation, I'll throw on a picture for you. It works great but would look 100 times better with a paint job. I've been asking 6k.

grassmanvt
08-22-2006, 10:47 AM
That is a good question grassman. How much to charge per hour for screening? Maybe start a thread here and see what you get for responses. I don't know what you would charge for a custom service like that and I cannot recall anyone around here advertising for it.:confused:

Haven't done any per hour yet, just for myself. Maybe I will start a thread when I get a chance. I'm just thinking since its something not everybody does, I might be able to make some coin on it.

AintNoFun
08-22-2006, 05:45 PM
my cousin has a HUGEE retec trommel screener. i know he used to rent it out to municipalities in their yards and made HUGE cash as well..

screened topsoil prices down here are going from $25 to $35 a yard usually...